Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it fine to use an old OpenSuse?

Default Is it fine to use an old OpenSuse?

I have an old thinkpad T43 laptop and I found Opensuse 10.3 is the BEST distro for it, not even 11.0+, all hardwares are detected and usable, everything, from modern to volumn control(show in KDE volume control icon as well), to suspend/resume and speaker/mic, not to mention finger print reader.

Later Opensuse versions have more or less a few problems, I also tried other distros but without luck.

So my question is, is it fine to stick to an old version even it is not supported any more? In terms of stability, security, usability...

Thanks!

Default Re: Is it fine to use an old OpenSuse?

hzxu wrote:
    > So my question is, is it fine to stick to an old version even it is not
    > supported any more? In terms of stability, security, usability...

depends on who you ask!

if you get an answer from someone who can't breath if they don't have
    the very latest of everything, you will get one answer..

if you ask someone who is overly paranoid and runs ClamAV even though
    it is not necessary, you will get a different answer..

but, if you ask me, you will get still another! (see sig for what i
    run everyday: stable, dependable, well known [by me], usable and
    secure enough--FAR more secure than the latest and greatest from
    Redmond--with the BEST AV known to earth, for sure)..

just be sure and exercise due caution (i run a router/firewall, have
    all like ftpd, sshd, etc off and removed from system, and i don't go
    around the net downloading everything i can find and "double-clicking"
    on it, or even trying to 'install' it, stuff like that)..

there was guy/gal here last week running SuSE 8.x (still not cracked
    and not likely to be)..

obviously, ymmv.

--
    DenverD (Linux Counter 282315)
    CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
    posted via NNTP w/TBird 2.0.0.23 | KDE 3.5.7 | openSUSE 10.3
    2.6.22.19-0.4-default SMP i686
    AMD Athlon 1 GB RAM | GeForce FX 5500 | ASRock K8Upgrade-760GX |
    CMedia 9761 AC'97 Audio

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hzxu View Post
    I have an old thinkpad T43 laptop and I found Opensuse 10.3 is the BEST distro for it, not even 11.0+, all hardwares are detected and usable, everything, from modern to volumn control(show in KDE volume control icon as well), to suspend/resume and speaker/mic, not to mention finger print reader.

Later Opensuse versions have more or less a few problems, I also tried other distros but without luck.

So my question is, is it fine to stick to an old version even it is not supported any more? In terms of stability, security, usability...

Thanks!
    Three things to consider:
    First: 10.3 is no longer officially supported, i.e. no updates, patches etc anymore.
    Second: Why would you replace 10.3, if it works for you. The only thing you may not know off is security, the other 2 appear to be covered for you. Like DenverD says, security is up to you.
    Third thing you'd have to ask yourself: Do I want to stay up-to-date on desktop experience (you may miss a lot of improvement on 10.3), kernel etc.

This does not help you very much, I know. For me the fact that 10.3 is no longer supported counts most. I'd rather install 11.2 and get help here to overcome the issues.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

One of my favourite IT-mottos: security is not a condition, it's a principle. There are reasons why Linux is considered to be secure system, one of the major reasons is that it is updated regularly and systemwide (if used as intended). This is not possible with a system that is not supported with updates anymore, so security holes would have to be accepted. I personally could not accept that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gropiuskalle View Post
    security is not a condition, it's a principle.
    That says it all. But it doesn't mean people running 10.3 are insecure (which you did not say....)
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by hzxu View Post

Thanks!
    . Stability: nothing is more stable then a system where there are no more changes;
    . Security: see the others, a good firewall in a router and' do not run what you do not need' makes it allready very save;
    . Usabilaty: it will be as usable as it is now when you do not change it, when you are satisfied, then you will be satisfied until you stumble in something you want to "have also" .
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht
    Quote Originally Posted by gropiuskalle
    security is not a condition, it's a principle.
    That says it all. But it doesn't mean people running 10.3 are insecure (which you did not say....)
    Um... but actually I meant it. Possibly insecure at least - look at the security fixes since 10.3 went out of support and you see what I mean; a 10.3 still running is missing dozens, maybe hundreds of security fixes (depending on the packages installed). This is not to say that I think that a successful attack on a 10.3 is even likely, but in security chances are not really an issue. Either a system is up to date or it is not, what comes next may vary any time.

Edit: let's put it like this - the more people would run an outdated Linux, the more interesting Linux is as a target for attacks.

Blog Entries

I agree that you should try to get it running with a recent distro. A search shows that many people have been running Linux on it so you should endeavour to get your problems with 11.2 solved. Perhaps you need a lighter variant due the 512MB RAM.

Linux on IBM Laptops & Notebooks (Thinkpads)

If you insist on running an old distro, at least install the latest versions of your web browser and plugins. If you can't get FF to install on it due to old libraries, try Chrome or Opera.

If you do not have important things on your laptop and you do not use a lot Internet with flash and other gadgets, it is quite OK to use an old version.
    However, there is no way out of it, if you want to hold alive this notebook, then, on the long run you should consider to change desktop and probably distribution.
    For very old PCs you should take into account the following distributions that might fit you better then a heavy and full blown KDE or Gnome Desktop:
    - DSL linux
    - DSLnot linux
    - Puppỳ linux

They are all very light and should run where the newer versions won't. It may well be that the require much more hassle to get it work.

If security is important, you do not want to change distribution and you laptop doesn't make it:

...buy a new one.

Thanks for all your reply!

I noticed that many servers running Linux usually have old version or even ancient versions of systems/softwares, why is that? For example, debian has branches "stable", "unstable" and "testing", the "stable" one has oldest softwares among the three but it is named "stable", does this conflict with some of your statements?

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast