Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Building Kernels..newbie question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    28

    Default Building Kernels..newbie question

    I need to build the current SLE kernels with the following config options which differ from the default.

    CONFIG_HZ=1000
    CONFIG_NO_HZ=false
    CONFIG_HIGH_RES_TIMERS=false

    I've looked at a couple other projects that are building kernels and they all link to the normal kernel-source package but I do not see any .spec files

    So, i guess the question is do I need a .spec file for building the kernel? And how do I inject my config option into the kernel-source during the build if there is no spec file?

    I probably also need my new kernel to have a slightly different name too.


    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    28,130
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Building Kernels..newbie question

    Quote Originally Posted by mww
    I need to build the current SLE kernels with the following config
    options which differ from the default.

    CONFIG_HZ=1000
    CONFIG_NO_HZ=false
    CONFIG_HIGH_RES_TIMERS=false

    I've looked at a couple other projects that are building kernels and
    they all link to the normal kernel-source package but I do not see any
    spec files

    So, i guess the question is do I need a .spec file for building the
    kernel? And how do I inject my config option into the kernel-source
    during the build if there is no spec file?

    I probably also need my new kernel to have a slightly different name
    too.


    Thanks!
    Hi
    The easiest way is to use the openSUSE Build Service by grabbing the
    src rpm, unpack the src and modify the config file and then upload to
    build.

    You can then link to your OBS project and select the built kernel. Or
    you can build locally and upload.

    Also don't you also need to set CONFIG_HZ_1000=y?

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.45-0.1-default
    up 4 days 18:27, 3 users, load average: 2.35, 1.09, 0.65
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 195.36.15


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    28

    Default Re: Building Kernels..newbie question

    Just tried that and get

    <status code="400">
    <summary>remote error: Kernel-Source no logfile</summary>
    </status>

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    28,130
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Building Kernels..newbie question

    Quote Originally Posted by mww
    Just tried that and get

    <status code="400">
    <summary>remote error: Kernel-Source no logfile</summary>
    </status>
    Hi
    Can you provide the link to your project?

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.45-0.1-default
    up 4 days 21:07, 3 users, load average: 0.22, 0.24, 0.34
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 195.36.15


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    28

    Default Re: Building Kernels..newbie question


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    28,130
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Building Kernels..newbie question

    Hi
    You need a lot more files than that
    Code:
    malcolml@oscar-sled:/usr/src/packages/SOURCES$ ls
    arch-symbols              find-provides
    kernel-ppc64.spec        macros.kernel-source
    patches.rpmify.tar.bz2  series.conf build-source-timestamp
    generic_serial-blacklist  kernel-ps3.spec
    module-renames              patches.rt.tar.bz2      source-post.sh
    built-in-where            guards
    kernel-s390.spec         modversions
    patches.suse.tar.bz2    source-pre.sh check-for-config-changes
    kabi.tar.bz2              kernel-source.rpmlintrc
    patches.addon.tar.bz2       patches.trace.tar.bz2   supported.conf
    check-supported-list      kernel-debug.spec
    kernel-syms.spec         patches.apparmor.tar.bz2
    patches.xen.tar.bz2     symsets.pl
    kernel-default.spec       kernel-trace.spec
    patches.arch.tar.bz2        post.sh config.conf
    kernel-ec2.spec           kernel-vanilla.spec
    patches.drivers.tar.bz2     postun.sh config-subst
    kernel-kdump.spec         kernel-vmi.spec
    patches.fixes.tar.bz2       pre.sh config.tar.bz2
    kernel-module-subpackage  kernel-xen.spec
    patches.kabi.tar.bz2        preun.sh extract-modaliases
    kernel-pae.spec linux-2.6.27.tar.bz2     patches.kernel.org.tar.bz2
    README.SUSE
    
    and
    kernel-source.spec
    This is based on the 2.6.27.45-0.1 version for all archs i386, ia64,
    ppc, ppc64, s390 and x86_64

    You would have to unzip and modify all the config files in
    config.tar.bz2 to match your requirements and then bzip2 it back up
    again.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.45-0.1-default
    up 4 days 21:44, 3 users, load average: 0.12, 0.17, 0.27
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 195.36.15


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Prescott, AZ
    Posts
    1,191

    Default Re: Building Kernels..newbie question

    Hi Malcom: What about the differences between ia64 and x86_64 - do you think anything would be gained by having a *third* OpenSuSE DVD? (ia64?) I have noticed that a lot of apps are distinguishing between ia64 and x86_64 Well, now, wait a minute - I guess the i7 doesn't use ia64 - it's actually an x86_64 processor: Intel Core i7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ...did Intel abondon ia64 and EMT64?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    28,130
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Building Kernels..newbie question

    Quote Originally Posted by PattiMichelle
    Hi Malcom: What about the differences between ia64 and x86_64 - do you
    think anything would be gained by having a *third* OpenSuSE DVD?
    (ia64?) I have noticed that a lot of apps are distinguishing between
    ia64 and x86_64 Well, now, wait a minute - I guess the i7 doesn't use
    ia64 - it's actually an x86_64 processor: 'Intel Core i7 - Wikipedia,
    the free encyclopedia' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_i7)
    ...did Intel abondon ia64 and EMT64?

    Hi
    ia64 refers to itanium processors...which is big iron.....super
    computers etc. x86_64 are your normal 64bit computer Xeon, i7, AMD etc.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itanium

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.3 (i586) Kernel 2.6.34-12-desktop
    up 23:30, 2 users, load average: 0.22, 0.16, 0.11
    ASUS eeePC 1000HE ATOM N280 1.66GHz | GPU Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •