Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speeding up printing

Default Speeding up printing

opensuse v11.2 linux 2.6.31.12-0.2-desktop x86_64

We have a networked Kyocera cs-3050 printer. When I print something to it, the Print window hangs for about a minute while the printer process queries the printer. This would be acceptable if it did happen EVERY TIME I printed a document.

Is there some way to have the printer driver cache the information instead of asking for it every time?

Default Re: Speeding up printing

Quote Originally Posted by jimoe666 View Post
    opensuse v11.2 linux 2.6.31.12-0.2-desktop x86_64

We have a networked Kyocera cs-3050 printer. When I print something to it, the Print window hangs for about a minute while the printer process queries the printer. This would be acceptable if it did happen EVERY TIME I printed a document.

Is there some way to have the printer driver cache the information instead of asking for it every time?
    What it is more likely doing is processing your document into printer friendly format known as preprocess rendering. Unless you are always printing the identical pages or wish to manually send your jobs through the filtering program (which takes the same amount of time by the way) I would suspect the answer is no it can't be sped up. Another possibility is that other tasks are running that have higher presidence than the printer or that your print jobs priority is lower than you may like.
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

Blog Entries

Two possibilities:

1. If you are using mDNS to locate the printer, it will be faster if you specify the domain name or the IP address.

2. It's rendering the page like techwiz03 says. You may be able to arrange the CUPS queue so that it the rendering is done in the background by handing it off to a CUPS server (even though it's on the same machine). Can't comment without details.

What it is more likely doing is processing your document into printer friendly format known as preprocess rendering.
    What leads me to think that it is querying the printer is that there are three tabs in the Print window during the delay period, then suddenly there are 7 tabs when it is done.
    I would suspect the answer is no it can't be sped up.
    That so sucks.

What leads me to think that it is querying the printer is that there are three tabs in the Print window during the delay period, then suddenly there are 7 tabs when it is done.

That so sucks.
    Possible that it is querying the printer, but usually it does nothing to/from the printer until the page is rendered. In trying to understand your problem, is it just the delay as it finalizes how you want the job printed before you can continue with the program you are printing from?
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

Blog Entries

I have noticed this latency too when printing to network printers, and usually more noticeable when using generic postscript drivers. (I've always put that down to more data being transmitted than when using the native printer language, but I could be wrong here). It's never concerned me, as I just get on with the next task and let CUPS do its thing.

to understand your problem, is it just the delay as it finalizes how you want the job printed before you can continue with the program you are printing from?
    The delay begins as soon as the printer options window opens. I can do nothing in that window -- choose pages, set double-sided, set number of pages per sheet, print -- until the delay ends. Once the delay is over and I have chosen my options, printing itself proceeds quickly.

The delay begins as soon as the printer options window opens. I can do nothing in that window -- choose pages, set double-sided, set number of pages per sheet, print -- until the delay ends. Once the delay is over and I have chosen my options, printing itself proceeds quickly.
    Ok this seems to indicate that it is waiting for printer specific info so as to determine what options etc can be used. Rendering won't start until after you have choosen how you want it printed.

Ok this seems to indicate that it is waiting for printer specific info so as to determine what options etc can be used.
    Okay. This brings us back to the original question: Is there a way to have the printer information cached so there is not the long delay every time?

Blog Entries

Haven't experienced this particular problem, but following this thread with interest. CUPS is very configurable, so I'm sure there's an answer to this.

This reference mentions some of the cupsd.conf options available:

cupsd.conf - Documentation - CUPS

It may be possible to tune CUPS for better printing performance. In particular, I noticed a policy setting 'Get-Printer-Attributes' that may be relevant.

Maybe a good idea to post your /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast