Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Novell for Sale?

Blog Entries

Arrow Novell for Sale?

(hey, that rhymes)

Report: Novell accepting bids from up to 20 companies
    According to a report in the Wall Street Journal, this week Novell, which was put up for up for sale after an unsuccessful bid from a hedge fund, is taking bids from up to 20 companies. The process is expected to result in the sale of the Linux and identity management company, although it is unknown whether this would be as a single entity or if the company's four business units would be sold separately.
    The Register also mentions the NY Times reporting this in Novell seeks rich suitors.

Interesting to know. Anybody have any takers on potential buyers?

This could have a wide-impact as Novell has a number of technologies used in Linux (oS and other distros); Go-OO & Mono comes to mind. Mono itself would shake things up some.

Anybody have any more information on this?
    "Linux provides freedom, problem is most users don't know what it is or how to use it." ~me
    Friends don't let Friends wear red shirts on away parties!
    Linux User #477531 | Danbury Area Computer Society (www.dacs.org)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Novell for Sale?

I think I have about $20, think they'll sell?
    "Linux provides freedom, problem is most users don't know what it is or how to use it." ~me

FTA
    Most, if not all, of the companies expected to lodge serious bids are private equity firms
    Looks like it'll be a private equity firm, not anybody we'd hope for right away.

However, it's unlikely that a tech company would bid for all of Novell, these people said. Private equity firms, however, could break up Novell and either sell off the pieces or run them as standalone businesses
    Maybe later?
    We are what we think.
    All that we are arises with our thoughts.
    With our thoughts we make the world.

My 64 bit: Gateway 5670 UPDATED | RADEON RX 570 |CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600
    Opensuse Tumbleweed Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by dragonbite View Post
    Interesting to know. Anybody have any takers on potential buyers?
    Microsoft probably.

It would be cool if Dell, IBM or HP got it... better not be frigging oracle, considering their track record I think most here would rather have Canonical buy it as the Ubuntu hate is strong here but the controversy of Oracle eclipses that I think.
    https://features.opensuse.org/308357

IBM or Lenovo would get my vote, at least then Thinkvantage would be available for openSuse.
    It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.

On Fri, 21 May 2010 01:16:01 +0000, TaraIkeda wrote:

> Microsoft probably.

As I've said before, not likely to happen. Why? One word: Antitrust.

Jim
    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by hendersj View Post
    On Fri, 21 May 2010 01:16:01 +0000, TaraIkeda wrote:

> Microsoft probably.

As I've said before, not likely to happen. Why? One word: Antitrust.

Jim
    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    I think it would be cool if Dell ended up purchasing Novell.

I can't say i see good future for Novell but at least openSUSE will live on.
    openSUSE 11.4 | KDE 4.6
    AMD Athlon64 X2 5000+ | 2GB RAM | ATI Radeon HD 3450 | Gigabyte M68SM-S2L | 320 GB HDD

Blog Entries

My cynical view is that this is an effort by the board of directors and CEO/CFO to save their jobs.

Having turned down one takeover offer, they now risk the wrath of the shareholders. Hence they need to show they are actively trying to increase shareholder value, and this is one way to do it. Whether they are actually planning to recommend acceptance of any offer that may come out is another matter.

Blog Entries

The sale also doesn't have to be all-in-one.

When there was talk about Novell being bought before, there was a pretty good article that outlined how even before the sale is done, other companies may come and the acquiring company and that one agree to a sale once Novell was bought.

In this I can see Microsoft picking up Mono or some of the other network technologies while staying away from the anti-trust fires.

Along those lines, maybe Red Hat or IBM would buy just the Unix (copyright, license,.. not sure what it is, but I think you know what I'm talking about). Who knows, maybe the FSF or some other entity would purchase it.

IBM is one thought, or HP. I can see HP doing that so they can offer the hardware (server) and OS (SUSE) and integrate the Mono with their recent WebOS purchase. At least they have shown signs that they are willing to expand.

Agreed, though, I think this move is to keep the top brass from being ousted for rejecting the previous offering since there is no real plan or focus on how to improve the business.

What could be awesome is to spin off some pieces, though I doubt that would happen.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast