Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Downloading media from any website

  1. #1

    Default Downloading media from any website

    Is it possible to download media from any website?
    An option of converting between formats and between video to audio is also helpful.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,853

    Default Re: Downloading media from any website

    Only from websites that offer files to dwonload.

    What do you mean? Downloading is only transferring of bytes.
    Henk van Velden

  3. #3

    Default Re: Downloading media from any website

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Only from websites that offer files to dwonload.

    What do you mean? Downloading is only transferring of bytes.
    I mean to something like Video DownloadHelper (Firefox addon), but should not be limited to a number of website. It should allow downloading streamed videos/audios from any website

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,853

    Default Re: Downloading media from any website

    I took a fast glance through the link, but it does not says it is restricted to a fixed list of web-sites.
    For instance, if you go to a YouTube page, you'll be able to download the video directly on your file system. It also works with MySpace, Google videos, DailyMotion, Porkolt, iFilm, DreamHost and others.
    I read these as examples, not restrictions.
    Henk van Velden

  5. #5

    Default Re: Downloading media from any website

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I took a fast glance through the link, but it does not says it is restricted to a fixed list of web-sites.

    I read these as examples, not restrictions.
    I used it before and some websites weren't supported. They also have a list of supported websites on the Video DownloadHelper website: DownloadHelper - Media download Firefox extension

    Why would they have that list if they support all websites?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,723
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Downloading media from any website

    With that add on you cannot download from all web sites. In fact not all Youtube vids will download with it, it depends on the content. I don't think TV shows for example will download, but I could be wrong. It doesn't download BBC here in the UK.
    Some sites go to great lengths to prevent downloading for obvious reasons.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,644
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Downloading media from any website

    I tried the add-on some time ago, there's quite a lot of content it does not download, but I haven't found that to be tied to some website.

    @Caf4926: I was very pleased when iPlayer was released, couldn't wait to be able to watch Monty Pyhton's TV shows, which I knew were available through iPlayer at the time. iPlayer worked and works completely (connecting, downloading program schedules etc etc), content does not come through at all. Blocked for visitors outside the UK. But I guess that goes for a lot of dutch video content sites as well.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,723
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Downloading media from any website

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    I tried the add-on some time ago, there's quite a lot of content it does not download, but I haven't found that to be tied to some website.

    @Caf4926: I was very pleased when iPlayer was released, couldn't wait to be able to watch Monty Pyhton's TV shows, which I knew were available through iPlayer at the time. iPlayer worked and works completely (connecting, downloading program schedules etc etc), content does not come through at all. Blocked for visitors outside the UK. But I guess that goes for a lot of dutch video content sites as well.
    Do you mean the BBC iplayer
    or
    get_iplayer
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •