Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: GRUB Problem

Default Re: GRUB Problem

Quote Originally Posted by plodder View Post
    Very sorry. I appear to have fouled up the thread a little. I rather hoped everybody else had gone to bed (I am in Oz).
    LOL! I understand... my eyes are very tired.

I had deleted my last post because I was a little concerned about the boot.ini file which is why I deleted the following post (whilst you were reading and replying to it):

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I am not sure why you think grub does not find your partitions. Grub counts its partitions from zero whilst fdisk counts from 1. Hence:
    Ah...

When you get to the grub prompt (grub>) why not try booting your Windows XP directly with the following commands
    I just exhausted all the possibilites from 0 thru 5.
    4 is the only one that boots up something and that something is the Sony Recovery partition. :sigh:

If that works the solution is fairly simple. We can just change the boot flag to /dev/sda5 using something called cfdisk.
    This should be very simple... but, of course, it is on one of MY machines, so it is destined to find some obscure abnormality to plague my day.

Unless I have not understood what the problem is. However maybe boot.ini needs to be modified as well.
    I'm going to try modifying the boot.ini file...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I am not sure if the windows boot.ini file lists the partitions in definition order or cylinder order. If it is cylinder order then partition(2) is correct. If it is definition order then partition(3) is correct.

Hence if it is booting into the wrong partition, then I would suggest editing the boot.ini file and changing boot.ini to read partition(3) at the end of the line.

The fact that it is booting into something from (hd0,4) means it is finding an ntldr etc there so we must be close (I hope).
    I'm with you on the 'hope'.

So keep using rootnoverify (hd0,4) and change boot.ini.
    Ok.
    I may have to quit lest I fall asleep... but will try one chance at it now.

Thanks.

The definition of partition numbers for boot.ini is rather fuzzy. I have read it is all primary partitions fist and then logicals. So I guess try all numbers 1 to 5.

boot.ini has this appended to the [operating systems] line:

/noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Is this a problem?

No that looks fairly standard.

/nexecute=optin imposes data execution prevention for possible malicious code and

/fastdetect skips detection of unsupported hardware such as serial mice (mouses?)

The machine I'm posting here with is a Compaq Presario tower which is also loaded with Win XP, but the HOME edition... if I make a bootable CD from it, will it work to get the laptop's Win XP Professional booted up?

If it works, what do I do ...?... just use the "Run" GUI to enter 'fixmbr' with no additional switches at the end, or what?

Blog Entries

It may work, I can't be sure
    But check this:

Windows 2000/XP on the computer: Boot from the XP/2000 installation disk and proceed to the final screen where you have the option to Repair Your Computer. Press "R" for Repair and log onto the Windows installation. When the command prompt appears, enter the command fixmbr. Confirm "yes" and you will receive confirmation of the reinstallation of Windows bootstrap code into the MBR. Enter exit and the computer will reboot.

It may be necessary to copy boot files back too if they have been lost. d: is the cd drive, yours may be different.
    Code:
    copy d:i386\ntldr c:
    copy d:i386\ntdetect.com c:
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Ok. Keep your fingers crossed... I've emailed this and all my other notes to oldsioux@yahoo.com where I can read this from Window$ when I boot up in it on this machine.

Maybe before the end of the day I will be able to boot up in Win XP Professional on the laptop.

Here's looking at you...

Sylvia

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    It may work, I can't be sure
    But check this:

Windows 2000/XP on the computer: Boot from the XP/2000 installation disk and proceed to the final screen where you have the option to Repair Your Computer. Press "R" for Repair and log onto the Windows installation. When the command prompt appears, enter the command fixmbr. Confirm "yes" and you will receive confirmation of the reinstallation of Windows bootstrap code into the MBR. Enter exit and the computer will reboot.

It may be necessary to copy boot files back too if they have been lost. d: is the cd drive, yours may be different.
    Code:
    copy d:i386\ntldr c:
    copy d:i386\ntdetect.com c:

If the "Windows Recovery Console" is installed in your Windows partition, this might help. (I have a similar configuration as OP). The VAIO Recovery is (most likely) the Windows Recovery Console. This is inserted into the Windows boot ahead of the actual Windows "ntldr".

Try removing "boot" from
    Code:
    rootnoverify (hd0,4)
    chainloader +1
    boot
    to read:

Code:
    rootnoverify (hd0,4)
    chainloader +1
    This works for my configuration. I believe that the "boot" parameter is bypassing Windows natural choice menu.
    Lap: Gateway NV79, i5-430, 4GB, 2 x 500GB HD, Intel GMA HD
    openSUSE Leap 15.0 x64 + 42.3 x64, KDE 5.15.3, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, Windows 7

Test:: openSUSE 15.0, KDE Plasma, Windows/XP/SP3 guest.

Code:
    boot.ini 
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS=" XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    grub menu.lst is as SeanMc98 posted.

With XP on a logical volume only, you will not be able to do a XP install, clean or repair.
    Best would be delete linux partitions and use "testdisk" to move the XP partition back to a primary partition. Reinstall linux and be sure it does not change the XP partition.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanMc98 View Post
    If the "Windows Recovery Console" is installed in your Windows partition, this might help. (I have a similar configuration as OP). The VAIO Recovery is (most likely) the Windows Recovery Console. This is inserted into the Windows boot ahead of the actual Windows "ntldr".
    Yes... I can make the VAIO Recovery boot by doing F10 at the Sony Logo during bootup

Try removing "boot" from
    Code:
    rootnoverify (hd0,4)
    chainloader +1
    boot
    to read:

Code:
    rootnoverify (hd0,4)
    chainloader +1
    And then what do I key in to make it restart the boot process...?... 'reboot', maybe?

This works for my configuration. I believe that the "boot" parameter is bypassing Windows natural choice menu.
    I do too... here's a new wrinkle:

Earlier I thought I'd try putting one of my old Window$ install CDs in and see if they booted... keep in mind that the OpenSuSE KDE Live CD has *NO* problem booting up! I can get into KDE Live, just fine... however..

When I tried booting up with my old Win 95 (not XP) GRUB just flew right on past it as if there were no CD in the drive...
    Then I took that out and put in my Win98SE install CD and at least the process halted at *just* before the GRUB prompt... it froze the process with nothing on the screen but the blinking underscore, without the 'grub>'.
    I also followed the *exact* directions for creating a bootable WinXP CD (CD, *not* floppy... I don't have a floppy on this laptop). I wasted my time with that... it never got so much as a glance from GRUB, just flew on part that, too.

So, I'm thinking that the problem is in GRUB and it has somehow permanently attached itself to something it ought not... and whatever it is, it is ignoring that there is anything else on the machine but grub>

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast