Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: GRUB Problem

Default Re: GRUB Problem

Quote Originally Posted by plodder View Post
    A few,hopefully helpful, clarifying remarks to assist both oldsioux and caf4926.
    7) Yes, the command line does look a bit fearsome at first but, in most cases, if you are not sure, you can alway wimp out before the fatal pressing of the final Enter button. Most people prefer to use the CL because each command is one action and the results are more predictable, whereas with a GUI several actions may be completed with one click of the mouse and there could be bugs in the software anyway.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks, 'plodder'.

Apparently, the last few weeks of my life have been one *long* "On Golden Pond" experience where I seem to be afraid of *everything* and everyone... with that said, however... once upon a time *I* danced merrily around in DOS and CP/M as if there were NEVER any other way to do things. I totally don't know what has happened to my courage, but I do know that the CL *is* the best place to 'tweak' on things, instead of doing MASS operations that could screw up the whole works...

I, too, think it would be best to do all of this at the CL and just scrap the idea of trying to save this particular 'factory' copy of WinXP... if 'caf4926' is also willing... I'd like to prove that I can gather my courage and just *do* this the right way.

Here's my needs for WinXP:
    1. Instant means of trouble shooting for a hardware vs. software malfunction.
    If only I knew my way around in Linux CL well enough, I'd have no problem tracking down equipment vs. software, but there you go... I can't afford to be without *any* computer or access to the Internet.
    2. Instant presentation in FrontPage98 to a client for a web page design that *all* Windoze people recognize enough that they don't stop me with thousands of questions about the software while I'm trying to show them what I see as their web page, or Internet presence.

... I've yet to be able to use Kompozer (Linux), but if it is all that it is touted to be, a cross between FrontPage98 and DreamWeaver, (without the crappy stray code of FP) then Kompozer *should* forever fill my needs for web authoring.

And with that said...

I can't think of any other reason I should need WinXP, *ever*. I have replaced all other windoze software with Linux equivalents... so, *why* am I still holding onto something that does nothing but give me grief?

I say, let's get rid of WinXP... let 'caf4926' send me a copy of WinXP if I decide I really have to have it, otherwise... TRASH M$ and let me take the final, hopefully NOT fatal, plunge into Linux and be done with this mess.
    I *used* to be a champion for 'proving a matter of principle'... but, I'm getting too old to fight the constant fight of "Gotcha"!

Let's just get this matter completed and up and running in KDE Live CD, k?

I *hate* M$ and the constant problems that go with it, but FP98 was/is one of the best web authoring programs ever written by someone who was NOT on the M$ payroll... and probably why I like it so much. But, it's like training wheels... I want to have a Linux tool that allows me the same kind of balance I had with FP98, but... what if Komposer is much better? Now the dilemma is: 'nothing ventured, nothing gained'. This is the time for all good OSes to come to the aid of their benefactors: 'author on'.

Maybe just let me make a backup copy of WinXP, or the whole content of the SonyVAIO to the Maxtor 500G HD, just in case,<g> and then... let's start from scratch with a total KDE Live CD installation and the Network configuration needed to get Internet access going and then we can all get back to our lives and be happy.

I've stated my case... I await the conclusion of those far wiser than I.

BTW, I never, never, ever... let go.

Maybe it's time I did just that.

Blog Entries

I can tell you, XP does not need to be installed on a primary, only it's boot code must be. It is however very unusual that a factory machine would be shipped with XP in a logical.
    Here is a thread where @swerdna and I discussed this subject:
    Multibooting windows 2000 or xp from Linux - openSUSE Forums
    =======================================

There is absolutely no point making a disk image of what you have.All you need is your personal files and maybe your thunderbird folder...etc...
    And I refer not just to the windows files, but also any files you might have in your SUSE install. Because I suggest you wipe the HD and start from square One.

You could always install XP in Virtual Box. But I can tell you, I did that and I never use it. Unless you do some very specific work like CAD, you will never need windows. And such programs might not work in VBox anyway.

Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

I agree with what caf4926 has suggested, although it seems as though you have a valid reason to use a particular program (FrontPage98) in place of a native Linux app. From what I can tell you should have a good chance of running this in wine or CodeWeavers product from Linux. However, in your first post you stated that you had proven the windows recovery partition works, by using it.

My suggestion is if you want windows, at least until you have sorted FrontPage, Use Gpatred from PartedMagic to delete all but sda1, create a partition for windows, run the windows recovery routine again and post the output from fdisk -l again, from there it will be easy to give further advice.

My other suggestion is to follow caf4926's advice and delete the lot, in either case you will naturally have backed up what you may need before proceding.

Just to let you know...

I'm contemplating all of this from #133 'dvHenry' and #132 'caf4926'.

I'm going to wait and see if there are any more comments from other posters and then decide from there. K?

Quote Originally Posted by oldsioux View Post
    Just to let you know...

I'm contemplating all of this from #133 'dvHenry' and #132 'caf4926'.

I'm going to wait and see if there are any more comments from other posters and then decide from there. K?
    Ok, guys... I've slept on this matter and then remembered that in the beginning I faithfully promised to do *exactly* as instructed to do in making this a "Test Case" for future Windoze users...

To that effort:

Let's git 'er done!

I'm sure that I have my courage built up and am ready to get this matter finished.

If the rest of you are willing, let's get a final plan and go for it, K?

Sylvia
    'oldsioux'

Just to refresh everyone's memory, here is the 5-n-1 screen shot of PartedMagic showing the commands that we've used so far to gather information.

Thanks for being so patient with a too old 'oldsioux'.

Sorry missed this bit:

8) The results from post #54 page 6, indicate that grub was installed to the extended sda2 partition. Hence, if all partitions apart from sda1 were deleted, there would be no grub anywhere.
    That sound perfectly reasonable.

Are you still game for getting this done? I am more determined than ever to see this through.

Sylvia
    oldsioux

Sorry missed this bit:

8) The results from post #54 page 6, indicate that grub was installed to the extended sda2 partition. Hence, if all partitions apart from sda1 were deleted, there would be no grub anywhere.
    I'm going for it...

Could you please give me the 'correct' CL command line for making a copy of /dev/sda1 to the Maxtor 500GB HD (/dev/sdb), please?

My plan would be to do this:

1) Run PartedMagic on the laptop.

2) Open a command prompt and run:

cfdisk /dev/sda

3) Delete partition /dev/sda3 (1.5 GB swap) and /dev/sda6 (88GB Linux root)
    Ok, I'm on a roll, here... except, when using cfdisk it gets to "Write" ... I did all but the answering "yes" at the end. Do I have to answer "no"? Because it doesn't get rid of /dev/sda3 if I answer "no".

- long trips start with tiny steps.

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Has anything changed?
    Can you just give us a brief of your situation again, save us reading the whole thread from head to tail
    Just updating...

I used testdisk on the SonyVAIO and it got rid of GRUB.

It also did NOT fix the mbr.

I have to stop for today, but plan to start again tomorrow with PhotoRec and see if it can fix the mbr.

Will keep you guys posted.

Thanks,

oldsioux

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast