Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: GRUB Problem

Default Re: GRUB Problem

I had began to come to much the same conclusion as yourself about the boot files needing to be on a primary partition (the system partition) although the rest of the OS (boot partition?) could be on a logical partition. That is what the MCSE book says for Win 2K
    To do any type of install , there must be a primary partition 'fat32/ntfs' for the boot files or XP install will give an error. XP will run with no primary partition but the OS would have to be copied/cloned to the logical volume or the primary partition converted to a logical volume as in this case.
    There is a bug in the SuSe installer for this to happen, it should NOT. Under just what conditions this does happen I do no know.

So when you mention your prior post, in that you have the boot.ini file pointing to partition 3, which one is that?
    My post # 29. Partition #3 in boot.ini will be hda5.

I couldn't understand the boot flag on the Extended partition either.
    Lets see if GRUB was installed in the MBR.

oldsioux-run below code from linux:
    must be ran as a root user or su
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/sda count=512 bs=1
    most of the output will be unreadable but do you see "GRUB" or "partition table"
    Seeing 'GRUB' will indicate grub is in MBR but seeing 'partition table' indicates MS MBR.

Maybe I can leave it in your hands?
    I am very bad at writing how-tos and do must things my way which is not the best way for most users, and currently do not have SuSe installed so do not know just what programs are included in the install.

Quote Originally Posted by LostFarmer View Post
    To do any type of install , there must be a primary partition 'fat32/ntfs' for the boot files or XP install will give an error. XP will run with no primary partition but the OS would have to be copied/cloned to the logical volume or the primary partition converted to a logical volume as in this case.
    There is a bug in the SuSe installer for this to happen, it should NOT. Under just what conditions this does happen I do no know.
    I don't even know if any of them are a primary partition, yet. <g>

My post # 29. Partition #3 in boot.ini will be hda5.

Lets see if GRUB was installed in the MBR.

oldsioux-run below code from linux:
    must be ran as a root user or su
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/sda count=512 bs=1
    most of the output will be unreadable but do you see "GRUB" or "partition table"
    Seeing 'GRUB' will indicate grub is in MBR but seeing 'partition table' indicates MS MBR.
    There are neither...

Here's what little there is in the results:

linux:/ # dd if=/dev/sda count=512 bs=1
    Noactive partitionDisk read errorNo operating systemInvalid CHS read (bunch of machine code)512+0 records in/(machine code)
    512+0 records out
    512 bytes (512 B) copied, 0.00382081 s, 134 kB/s
    linux:/ #

Should I repeat that command line for each of the others, like /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2, etc.?

I am very bad at writing how-tos and do must things my way which is not the best way for most users, and currently do not have SuSe installed so do not know just what programs are included in the install.
    Please, please! Will both of you stay involved in the replies? I think we are onto something here. <bg>

Is this correct in your first post?

What started as an effort to reinstall Win XP Pro to see if I could get the Internet connection to work from *there*... 2 Weeks now of trying to google this and fix it. I foolishly uninstalled SuSE 11.2 KDE Live CD, so there really isn't any Linux on this laptop (that can be fixed by repeating the installation, though). In the meantime, I'm wanting Win XP so I can use what I'm familiar with to track down the NetworkManager Connection problem... for my efforts I now how this problem: GRUB doesn't seem to be able to find any OS to boot.
    In particular this bit,

uninstalled SuSE 11.2 KDE Live CD, so there really isn't any Linux on this laptop
    If so there is no /boot for GRUB to reference, reinstall linux to /dev/sda6.

But I could be wrong, I found parts of this thread confusing,.

Do you need to save info?

Is your intension the same as in your first post, or has it changed?

Or am I missing the problem entirely?

I have seen no actual menu.lst ,I may have missed it.

The output from your 'dd' command , I'm not sure of but would say Suse installed grub to sda2 and a generic boot code to the MBR. Lets verify- run 'dd if=/dev/sda2 count=512 count=1' NOTE: dd if ran with wrong parameters can be very bad so be very careful with command.

I do suggest running 'testdisk' to convert sda5 'logical volume' to a primary partition sda4. If you do it will require editing both boot.ini and menu.lst. As it is now you CAN NOT do a repair install when needed. 'testdisk' may be a installed package, try pressing F2 for run box and type in 'testdisk'. Be sure to read the How-To use first ,see post 39. We likely can get XP to run as is but not the best.

When the XP partition was converted to a logical volume , it was moved by 1 track '63 sectors' and now made the Mounted Devices in the registry wrong and making XP guessing just what partition to complete booting from. It might be trying to boot into sda1 and it will need to be hidden using 'hide sda1' in linux boot menu.

I don't even know if any of them are a primary partition, yet
    Yes we do, your fdisk shows only 2 primary partitions, recovery and swap (sda1,sda3). sda5 and up are logical volumes with sda2 being a "box" for the logical volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by dvhenry View Post
    Is this correct in your first post?
    The "Quote" button failed to import the actual text, but... yes...

1. Downloaded OpenSuSe KDE Live CD and installed it for 64-bit Sony Vaio laptop...
    2. NetworkManager refused to allow me to configure and access the Internet.
    3. Yast claimed it could not undo what NetworkManager was already in charge of.
    4. I have no test equipment so, restoring WinXP seemed the only way to track down any network hardware problems.
    5. I figured VAIO Recovery would wipe out Linux, anyway, so tried to UNINSTALL SuSE 11.2 KDE from install from the mix.

[quote]
    In particular this bit,

quote oldsioux:
    uninstalled SuSE 11.2 KDE Live CD, so there really isn't any Linux on this laptop
    /quote

Yes!

If so there is no /boot for GRUB to reference, reinstall linux to /dev/sda6.
    How will I know that the KDE Live CD install *is* installing it to /dev/sda6 ?

But I could be wrong, I found parts of this thread confusing,.
    Yes... I totally understand your dilema. I, too, am confused. <g>

Do you need to save info?
    NO!!!! Thank goodness we are dealing with a totally 'free' from any need to backup anything laptop... just go for it and see what works to get the laptop back up running the install of the KDE Live CD *and* make NetworkManager behave as it should.

I'd kinda like to have WinXP Professional 'recovered' to its previous state if possible... I like the KDEwin effort. I can have the best of both worlds running KDEwin on the WinXP Professional. But, I do like SuSE Linux. :=}}

Is your intension the same as in your first post, or has it changed?

Or am I missing the problem entirely?
    I don't think my intention has changed: Dual Boot either SuSE 11.2/KDE or WinXP Professional... but MOST of all be able to access the Internet in either, once both are done.

I have seen no actual menu.lst ,I may have missed it.
    Nor have I... I don't know how to get it using GRUB, and after 'unhiding' all files using Dolphin in KDE, I *still* have yet to find any file named: 'menu.lst'.

How do we get to see it's contents, please?

The output from your 'dd' command , I'm not sure of but would say Suse installed grub to sda2 and a generic boot code to the MBR. Lets verify- run 'dd if=/dev/sda2 count=512 count=1'

NOTE: dd if ran with wrong parameters can be very bad so be very careful with command.
    YES! I figured that much... so, is this the correct FULL line of code to enter:

'dd if=/dev/sda2 count=512 count=1'

...?... nothing more at the end of that line...?... or is the second occurrence of 'count=' supposed to be 'bs=1'?

I do suggest running 'testdisk' to convert sda5 'logical volume' to a primary partition sda4. If you do it will require editing both boot.ini and menu.lst. As it is now you CAN NOT do a repair install when needed. 'testdisk' may be a installed package, try pressing F2 for run box and type in 'testdisk'. Be sure to read the How-To use first ,see post 39. We likely can get XP to run as is but not the best.
    Pressing F2 does *nothing*! No command window at all... but I can select it from the launch menu and after typing 'testdisk', without the quotes, the command window just sits there doing nothing. It does not launch anything, display any additional information, nothing... just sits there waiting for me to enter some more text after "testdisk".
    Attempting 'testdisk' at the command line in a terminal produces this: If 'testdisk' is not a typo you can use the command-not-found to lookup the package that contains it, like this:

cnf testdisk

...which produces:

linux:/ # cnf testdisk
    testdisk: command not found
    linux:/ #

When the XP partition was converted to a logical volume , it was moved by 1 track '63 sectors' and now made the Mounted Devices in the registry wrong and making XP guessing just what partition to complete booting from. It might be trying to boot into sda1 and it will need to be hidden using 'hide sda1' in linux boot menu.
    Ooookay... that sounds dangerous.
    AFAIK, that would be the 'restored' copy of WinXP...?... maybe? Correct? I have very little knowledge of the details of tracks, sectors, or heads on a disk drive/partition.

I don't even know if any of them are a primary partition, yet

Yes we do, your fdisk shows only 2 primary partitions, recovery and swap (sda1,sda3). sda5 and up are logical volumes with sda2 being a "box" for the logical volumes.
    Ah! I see.

Ok, then... are you saying that these 'numbers' are assigned as some form of default that lets you automatically *know* (regardless of computer) that 'recovery = sda1', 'swap = sda3', all others are simply there due to some other reason...?... I'm trying to learn and understand how these get so numbered.

IOW, 'sda1' is assigned to any drive/partition that contains the 'recovery files'; 'sda3' is assigned to any 'swap file(s)'; and 'sda5 and up' are therefore left available to assign as needed for any other partitions/drives?
    Last edited by oldsioux; 18-May-2010 at 15:52. Reason: changed several 'textdisk' to 'testdisk'.

Ah! I see.

Ok, then... are you saying that these 'numbers' are assigned as some form of default that lets you automatically *know* (regardless of computer) that 'recovery = sda1', 'swap = sda3', all others are simply there due to some other reason...?... I'm trying to learn and understand how these get so numbered.

IOW, 'sda1' is assigned to any drive/partition that contains the 'recovery files'; 'sda3' is assigned to any 'swap file(s)'; and 'sda5 and up' are therefore left available to assign as needed for any other partitions/drives?

WAIT, WAIT, WAIT!
    I just referred back to those notes! NOW I understand... yes, I'd forgotten all about doing the 'fdisk'... sorry.

Ok, I think I'm with the game plan, now.

Thanks...

OK I will supply occasional clarifying comments.

'dd if=/dev/sda2 count=512 count=1'

...?... nothing more at the end of that line...?... or is the second occurrence of 'count=' supposed to be 'bs=1'?
    The command should be:

dd if=/dev/sda2 bs=512 count=1
    But this produces some unreadable/control characters which makes it a pain to paste into a blog. It would be better to convert the output to dual hexadecimal/character representation. So paste the outputs from:

dd if=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1|hexdump -C
    dd if=/dev/sda2 bs=512 count=1|hexdump -C
    etc for other partitions
    Testdisk is not available under the openSUSE 11.2 Live CD but is available on the PartedMagic Live CD. Can you grab a copy of that oldsioux?

BTW when you paste something always paste between QUOTES to preserve space characters and formatting.

that 'recovery = sda1', 'swap = sda3'
    Those are in you case only.

Hope I get this right.
    sdxy -- the x is the hdd designation , it will depend on what IDE channel hdd is connected to on the motherboard. a=primary IDE master b=primary IDE slave c=secondary IDE master ect.

y is the partition designation in the mbr 1=1st mbr partition slot 2=2nd mbr slot ect. . Partitions listed in the mbr are primary partitions and there can be only 4 or 3 with the extended partition "box" 'W95 Ext'd (LBA)'. 5 and up are Logical volume's within the extended partition box.
    read some more on general hdd layout at Primary, Extended and Logical Partitions
    Master boot record - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A little more but normally not needed info:
    Each logical volume also has a extended partition table "I think it must be 63 sectors in fount of partition" and looks very similar to the MBR but normally does not contain any boot code and has a max of 2 entries vice's MBR's 4. Grub can be written to the first extended mbr "EMBR".

I would recommend getting the PartedMagic Live CD .

plodder- I do make stupid mistakes- thanks.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast