Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: GRUB Problem

Blog Entries

Default Re: GRUB Problem

Personally I always delete all the partitions that come on a pre-install, but then I have access to a full range of windows install media. I take it you didn't get a real install CD?

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 1 784 6297448+ 12 Compaq diagnostics
    /dev/sda2 * 785 14401 109378552+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/sda3 14402 14593 1542240 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sda5 785 3395 20972826 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda6 3396 14401 88405663+ 83 Linux
    linux:/home/linux #
    You should be able to use parted magic to delete sda3 and sda6 and expand sda5 back to use all the space available in sda2
    Then you need to repair the XP boot sector code. Check and see if NTLDR is in the root of C
    And then do fixmbr
    But I'm not sure if you have any discs that can enable you to do this, so you may have to google it. There is loads of info out there.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Personally I always delete all the partitions that come on a pre-install, but then I have access to a full range of windows install media. I take it you didn't get a real install CD?
    No hard copy 'real' install CDs... teh only copy of Win XP Professional that came with this laptop *is* the copy on the restore drive (a,k,a, D;\recovery) which, of course, is NOT what the drive names are, under grub.

You should be able to use parted magic to delete sda3 and sda6 and expand sda5 back to use all the space available in sda2
    Then you need to repair the XP boot sector code. Check and see if NTLDR is in the root of C
    At this point, the only way I can 'see' any of the files is by using KDE Live CD's Dolphin to locate them as usual under Linux.
    That is the part that makes me so afraid... grub isn't showing any name for any of the 'partions' it thinks it found... because of this I can't determine in grub which of them is the one that has the Win XP Recovery files, see?

I was SO glad when I realized I could use the KDE Live CD and its file manager to *see* if those files were still there and intact. But, now they are being identified by the Live CD as simply "Volume"xxx...
    Is there a way in grub to 'peek' at the contents of those partitions and find any files names to help me determine the partion # to change to a boot record?

And then do fixmbr
    But I'm not sure if you have any discs that can enable you to do this, so you may have to google it. There is loads of info out there.
    Hmm... no. I don't have any discs/CDs of the Win XP Professional. So, I don't have an 'external' copy of the files to try a 'fresh' install of Win XP Pro, see?

It's getting late here... way past my bedtime... I think I will wait until tomorrow and google to try and dig up a means of MAKING a copy of the "System Recovery" to CDs... then I maybe I could just totally do a fresh install of the Win XP Professional and track down my network problem... if all is well in connecting to the Internet from WinXP, then I will try to find out why SuSE's NetworkManager refuses to configure and find the web sites on the INternet.

I will keep this thread bookmarked so I can ask an occassional question if I need to, before I risk killing the entire laptop.

Thank you for your kind attention... this is already very helpful.

Thanks again,
    oldsioux

rootnoverify (hd0,4)
    chainloader +1
    boot
    This caused the laptop to boot into the VAIO Recovery. Does this mean I should change your suggestion to something like:

rootnoverify (hd1,4)
    chainloader +1
    boot

...?...

Blog Entries

It will be 0 something

try hd0,3
    Leap 15.1_KDE

It will be 0 something

try hd0,3
    I did this:

rootnoverify (hd0,3)
    chainloader +1
    at this point it gives this error:

Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executalble format.

grub>

Oooooo!

I just tried:

rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1
    boot

...and it came right back up to the grub> prompt!

this eliminates the (hd0,0) as a possiblity for the WinXP partition, yes?

Blog Entries

Try all options, 2 next
    keep trying until you have exhausted the options
    Leap 15.1_KDE

Try all options, 2 next
    keep trying until you have exhausted the options
    Am doing now...

brb

Very sorry. I appear to have fouled up the thread a little. I rather hoped everybody else had gone to bed (I am in Oz).

I had deleted my last post because I was a little concerned about the boot.ini file which is why I deleted the following post (whilst you were reading and replying to it):

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I am not sure why you think grub does not find your partitions. Grub counts its partitions from zero whilst fdisk counts from 1. Hence:
    grub partition 0 = /dev/sda1 Compaq Diagnostics
    grub partition 2 = /dev/sda3 Linux swap
    grub partition 4 = /dev/sda5 Windows C
    grub partition 5 = /dev/sda6 Linux
    When you get to the grub prompt (grub>) why not try booting your Windows XP directly with the following commands

rootnoverify (hd0,4)
    chainloader +1
    boot
    If that works the solution is fairly simple. We can just change the boot flag to /dev/sda5 using something called cfdisk.

Unless I have not understood what the problem is. However maybe boot.ini needs to be modified as well.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I am not sure if the windows boot.ini file lists the partitions in definition order or cylinder order. If it is cylinder order then partition(2) is correct. If it is definition order then partition(3) is correct.

Hence if it is booting into the wrong partition, then I would suggest editing the boot.ini file and changing boot.ini to read partition(3) at the end of the line.

The fact that it is booting into something from (hd0,4) means it is finding an ntldr etc there so we must be close (I hope).

So keep using rootnoverify (hd0,4) and change boot.ini.

The only option that brings up anything like Windows is:

rootnoverify (hd0,4)
    chainloader +1
    boot

...and that is the VAIO Recovery, not the installed Win XP we want.<g>

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast