Wine Issue

Hi,

I just installed wine with the help of following thread
Wine - windows apps in Linux - openSUSE Forums

But when I double click the .exe file it does not know it has to open with wine. I have no menu entry for Wine, I dont know how to install windows app now.

Regards,
Anant

First please open a terminal and do this

winecfg

Just make sure it is set to XP and ALSA audio.

To install apps
Now I usually use a terminal and do:

wine ./Setup.exe

Just make sure you open the terminal in the directory of the .exe file and change ‘Setup.exe’ to the name of the setup file, it may be different.

Alternatively, right click a .exe file and select properties and configure to open with wine

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On KDE, right click on the exe file, open with and type wine, check the
remember file asociation and the acept, on gnome I have no idea

VampirD

Microsoft Windows is like air conditioning
Stops working when you open a window.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.12 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with SUSE - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iEUEARECAAYFAkvtowEACgkQJQ+0ABWtaVltfACY4Zj7L9CSaIP8C6YWow1Sq+0B
8gCgreQVMAXGuvcKpckxIVlJro943VQ=
=214B
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

When I right click on the .exe file, I dont get any option for “wine” in open with.

WhenI run wine ./setup.exe I get following

err:ntlm:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path.
err:ntlm:SECUR32_initNTLMSP Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
fixme:advapi:RegisterTraceGuidsW (0x458998, (nil), {062bac7d-382f-4e19-bb21-e164b775245a}, 5, 0x32fce0, (null), (null), 0x4b8f78,)
fixme:reg:GetNativeSystemInfo (0x32f424) using GetSystemInfo()
fixme:msxml:domdoc_QueryInterface interface {7fd52380-4e07-101b-ae2d-08002b2ec713} not implemented
fixme:msxml:domdoc_QueryInterface interface {7fd52380-4e07-101b-ae2d-08002b2ec713} not implemented

That error looks like a secure rom error on a mounted .iso but I can’t be sure.

When you ran winecfg, did you see the wine settings?

Right click - Properties -
Now click the small spanner icon (config)
If wine is not in the list, just type wine in the line above and apply it.

Hi Caf,

if I run winecfg I can see the wine settings. I did what you say and that enable the menu entry “open with wine” but clicking it doesn’t make any difference. Its not starting.

By the way, I would like to say one thing for you “Caf” you are great, I’ve always found one or the other answer from you. I really appreciate the way you help :slight_smile:

Regards,
Anant

What is it you are trying to install and is it original software?

By the way, I would like to say one thing for you “Caf” you are great, I’ve always found one or the other answer from you. I really appreciate the way you help
Thank you!

I’m trying to install Windows Live Mail client

I don’t know what this is, but I doubt it will work. Have you checked at WineHQ - Wine Application Database

Well its an email client, very much similar to outlook. I just checked wine database and this application is available in their supported apps

It’s classed as garbage:
WineHQ - Windows Live Mail

Ok, well no problem if I cant install, its not at all a show stopper for me :slight_smile:

Anyways, once again thanks caf

Anant

No worries.
Check Thunderbird

On Sat, 15 May 2010 19:36:01 GMT, caf4926
<caf4926@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
>anantg;2165291 Wrote:
>> Ok, well no problem if I cant install, its not at all a show stopper for
>> me :slight_smile:
>>
>> Anyways, once again thanks caf
>>
>> Anant
>No worries.
>Check Thunderbird

Or KMail for KDE environments or GMail for gnome environments. Plus
there are many more. I use KMail. I have mail going back to Feb 2004
over two or more ISPs. I think that reaches SuSE 7.3.

I just checked it in the appDB. The current rating is “garbage”, which does not bode well for your endeavors. :slight_smile:

Do you just need an e-mail client that supports imap? If so, mozilla thunderbird works really well and it is fairly simple to set up.