Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Setting permissions for all subfolders in Nautilus

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    79

    Default Setting permissions for all subfolders in Nautilus

    I'm trying to set permissions on all subfolders by right clicking the top folder, permissions, setting the desired values, and then clicking the "Apply permissions to the enclosed files. It takes on the top Folder but not on any of the subfolders or their files.

    How can I set the permissions for all files and subfolders under a top level folder?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    27,852
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Setting permissions for all subfolders in Nautilus

    Quote Originally Posted by stevericketts
    I'm trying to set permissions on all subfolders by right clicking the
    top folder, permissions, setting the desired values, and then clicking
    the "Apply permissions to the enclosed files. It takes on the top
    Folder but not on any of the subfolders or their files.

    How can I set the permissions for all files and subfolders under a top
    level folder?
    Hi
    It works for me on 11.2? You need to set Folder Access, then File
    Access (for each of the conditions, user,group,other), then ensure there
    is a check in the checkbox if your wanting execute permissions.

    I do note the the File Access changes back to "--" but if you open a
    terminal in the folder (use right-click) and run the command ls -la it
    changes the permissions on the files and folders down from the root
    directory.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.45-0.1-default
    up 3:46, 2 users, load average: 1.15, 1.60, 0.99
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 195.36.15


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    79

    Default Re: Setting permissions for all subfolders in Nautilus

    Thanks for the reply! It's sort of working but just maybe not the way I expected it to. Here's what I did.

    I changed the ownership from root to stever, groups from root to Developers, and gave those and Others permission to create and delete files. I checked the execute checkbox and clicked apply to enclosed files.

    The top level folder changed fine, but the subfolders are still owned by root, group is root, but the others did change to create and delete files. I was expecting the ownership and group to change in the subfolders too... no?

    sr

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    27,852
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Setting permissions for all subfolders in Nautilus

    Quote Originally Posted by stevericketts
    Thanks for the reply! It's sort of working but just maybe not the way I
    expected it to. Here's what I did.

    I changed the ownership from root to stever, groups from root to
    Developers, and gave those and Others permission to create and delete
    files. I checked the execute checkbox and clicked apply to enclosed
    files.

    The top level folder changed fine, but the subfolders are still owned
    by root, group is root, but the others did change to create and delete
    files. I was expecting the ownership and group to change in the
    subfolders too... no?

    sr
    Hi
    How are you starting Nautilus, in super user mode?

    I guess I'm so use to the CLI for somethings;
    [/CODE]
    sudo chown -R stever:developers /some/directory
    sudo chmod 755 -R /some/directory
    [/CODE]

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.45-0.1-default
    up 17:52, 2 users, load average: 0.23, 0.25, 0.43
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 195.36.15


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    79

    Default Re: Setting permissions for all subfolders in Nautilus

    Yes, for setting the permissions, I'm logging on as root and then opening Nautilus... setting the permissions from there.

    I could use chown like you suggest, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    15,803

    Default Re: Setting permissions for all subfolders in Nautilus

    You should never never ever log into a GUI as root.

    There should be a super user mode browser in your menus.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    79

    Default Re: Setting permissions for all subfolders in Nautilus

    I'm new to Linux but I've seen references to not logging on as root with a GUI. Why is that?

    I couldn't find the super user mode browser, where would I find that?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    27,852
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Setting permissions for all subfolders in Nautilus

    Quote Originally Posted by stevericketts
    I'm new to Linux but I've seen references to not logging on as root with
    a GUI. Why is that?

    I couldn't find the super user mode browser, where would I find that?
    Hi
    Press alt+F2 (run command) and use;
    Code:
    gnomesu nautilus --no-desktop --browser %U
    If you drag and drop the Nautilus icon from the slab menu to your
    desktop and then right click and select properties, you can add the
    command gnomesu at the beginning.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.45-0.1-default
    up 1 day 23:25, 3 users, load average: 0.36, 0.27, 0.38
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 195.36.15


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    79

    Default Re: Setting permissions for all subfolders in Nautilus

    Thanks! That's tons easier than switching users all the time.

    Why is it you shouldn't log on as root to a GUI?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    15,803

    Default Re: Setting permissions for all subfolders in Nautilus

    It is too easy to bork a user account. What happens is the as root in a GUI you go to some user directory now certain files get rewritten but not as user but as root. So now a user can not use those files. These tend to be important files and it can happen without the person who is root doing anything but going to a user accounts directory. Fretting out the damage can be very difficult for a newbee.

    Best advise DO NOT LOG INTO A GUI AS ROOT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •