Thread: Error in Virtualbox trying to use 2 CPUs

Question Error in Virtualbox trying to use 2 CPUs

Hello everybody.
    I have a system with a Core-2-Duo. The processor does run Virtualbox with 2 cpu (cores) attributed to the guest. At least, it did it in the past.
    I installed 11.1 and Virtualbox with XP time ago (about 1 year), but did chose 1 CPU and did not use it thereafter.Now I do need it. All extensions (PAE, VT, etc) are activated and the system runs perfectly. That said, when I try to activate the second CPU the guest begins to start but the the Virtualbox announces that it is unable to built the virtual machine. If instead I deactivate the second cpu it starts again normally, no other variable having been altered. I would need support of the second CPU for a reckon intensive task.Maybe anybody did ran into this?

System: OpensSuse 11.1 with KDE 3.5.10 release 87
    Virtualbox: 3.1.4 OSE
    Kernel: Linux 2.6.27.45-0.1-default x86_64
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T5600 @ 1.83GHz

Error message:
    Unknown error creating VM
    (VERR_UMX_MSR_LOCKED_OR_DISABLED)

Codice d'uscita:
    NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
    Componente:
    Console
    Interfaccia:
    IConsole {6375231a-c17c-464b-92cb-ae9e128d71c3}

Thanks.

Default Re: Error in Virtualbox trying to use 2 CPUs

I've switched an existing XP VM from one to two CPUs without problems but have had issue with Vista and W7. Have you tried to set up a new VM and attach the existing drive to it?
    Günter

Desk: Leap 42.2, KDE 5, Intel i3, 8Gb, Kingston 64Gb SSD, 2 SATA.
    Lap: Thinkpad T430, Tumbleweed, Intel i5, 8Gb, SSD.

Default Re: Error in Virtualbox trying to use 2 CPUs

Unfortunately the same issue. Once you recreate the VM it shifts back to one CPU and then if you try to start activating 2 CPU you get the same result. I googled quite a lot. It seems that tha 3.1.4 version of Vbox is "screwed up", as to say it gives this error to quite a lot of people. Appartently the thing is the same for Ubuntu, Opensuse, Debian, ecc.
    It applies also to both versions OSE and not. I have not found any indication on how to resolve.

Lightbulb Solved (at least found the reason) - Re: Error in Virtualbox trying to use 2 CPUs

I have to say thank you to "marcone" to push my nose on the reason of (at least) my problem.
    The thing is that the Core2Duo CPUs of Intel of the first generation had yes virtualization support in 32 bit but NOT in 64 bit.

With this info it is clear why I did experience this problem: I switched on my laptop to 64 bit.

Since I have only 2.5GB of RAM, next installation I will switch back to 32bit. So if you encounter this problem and if you, concomitantly, do not have more then 4 GB of RAM or 4 GB of RAM with the exigence to run programs requiring program instances with size lager then 2Gb each, you shall regress to 32 bit....and you will enjoy the 2 CPU virtualization again.

PS greetings to Intel, I did buy the machine quite at a hight price...this limitation is bluntly stupid. So, if given the opportunity to have an alternative, equally attractive chip-set of another producer......guess what I am going to choose next time?