Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: YAST, zypper corrupted after aborting update

Default YAST, zypper corrupted after aborting update

I was updating all the installed packages on my system yesterday via YAST.

The package manager seemed to hang when downloading a small update for YAST itself (related to ncurses, I think) so I hit the abort button. The package manager quit but now it doesn't work.

Trying to start the software management module (Qt version) give me the following error:

UI Syntax Error
    Couldn't load plug-in qt-pkg
    Check the log file!
    So I then tried the console version of YAST. The software management module doesn't work here either.

It give me the following error:
    UI Syntax Error
    Couldn't load plug-in ncurses_pkg
    Check the log file!
    I Googled a bit and came to the conclusion that for the second error I should try the following command:
    zypper install yast2-ncurses-pkg
    But this just gives me another error:
    zypper: error while loading shared libraries: libzypp.so.619: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    So now it appears that both YAST and zypper are corrupt!

Default Re: YAST, zypper corrupted after aborting update

Aborting a update is not the best idea. Sometimes things are just slow.

try as root

rpm --rebuilddb

It was taking 15 minutes to download a less than 300KB file, the progress bar for that file was not moving at all. I just lost patience.

I ran that command and I still get both errors

I had the same (or similar) problem, which I guess occurred after an update although I did not abort the update. Please read on for my solution/workaround. Your mileage may vary ...

When I started a YAST module, I got the error

libzypp.so.619 => not found
    warning: the gtk frontend is installed but does not work
    GTK GUI wanted but not found, falling back to Qt.
    Error while creating client module printer

When I ran zypper --help from the command-line, I got

zypper: error while loading shared libraries: libzypp.so.619: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Which is correct, as the current version of libzipp was 631, at least according to ldconfig | grep libzypp

libzypp.so.631 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib64/libzypp.so.631

Maybe a dependency of zypper was updated during the last update, but not zypper itself? When I checked libzypp.so.631, I saw that its symbolic link was created the 7th of May of this year. There was no symbolic link for libzypp.so.619 so I created one. In /usr/lib64 (note that I am running the 64 bits version) I did as root:

ln -s libzypp.so.631.0.4 libzypp.so.619

(for the sake of completeness, after that statement I also executed ldconfig, but I do not know for sure whether it is necessary).

Voil, Yast modules start again and zypper also. Chances are this workaround breaks after another libzypp update ...

Hope this helps,

Pieter.

Hi,

Small update to the problem that was reported and the workaround that I posted earlier.

As soon as I was able to do an online update again, a new version of zypper was installed that links to libzypp.so.631 instead of 619. This update was labeled a critical updated. Unfortuneately, the update could only be automatically installed when you have a working zypper (no pun intended).

Pieter.

This post is preliminary. I experienced nearly identical problem in the last couple days - after installing 11.2 KDE 4, on a new box. KDE update applet fails, says to try yast, yast fails gui and ncurses, silent. Zypper fails, complaining about libzypp.so.619 not existing. Couldn't update via any method.

Created a link as noted, except in /usr/lib (because but 32 bit install, not 64):
    Code:
    At which point zypper is now updating as I write.

Hoping the fix holds, or the update fixes the problem.

Hiero2
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers

Learn from the mistakes of others. You cant live long enough to make them all yourself. - Eleanor Roosevelt

zypper updated, yast update screen now works.
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers

Learn from the mistakes of others. You cant live long enough to make them all yourself. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Thumbs up Re: YAST, zypper corrupted after aborting update

Quote Originally Posted by spokesinger View Post
    This post is preliminary. I experienced nearly identical problem in the last couple days - after installing 11.2 KDE 4, on a new box. KDE update applet fails, says to try yast, yast fails gui and ncurses, silent. Zypper fails, complaining about libzypp.so.619 not existing. Couldn't update via any method.

Created a link as noted, except in /usr/lib (because but 32 bit install, not 64):
    Code:
    At which point zypper is now updating as I write.

Hoping the fix holds, or the update fixes the problem.

Hiero2
    Just thought I'd confirm this also fixed my fresh install of 11.2 on a VMWare Workstation.
    For the novices, open a terminal window, type (without the tics ') 'SU' <Enter> and enter your root password (the password you typed in during install) then type 'CD /usr/lib/' <enter>, copy the above code line then paste it into the Terminal window and hit <enter>.
    After it finished, I ran
    Code:
    zypper in -f yast2
    in the same terminal window

Thanks for the help folks!
    Oh and this also fixed Yast2 messages of "error while creating client module" when trying to open anything in Yast2.

Quote Originally Posted by swinkelsp View Post
    I had the same (or similar) problem, which I guess occurred after an update although I did not abort the update. Please read on for my solution/workaround. Your mileage may vary ...

When I started a YAST module, I got the error

libzypp.so.619 => not found
    warning: the gtk frontend is installed but does not work
    GTK GUI wanted but not found, falling back to Qt.
    Error while creating client module printer

When I ran zypper --help from the command-line, I got

Which is correct, as the current version of libzipp was 631, at least according to ldconfig | grep libzypp

libzypp.so.631 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib64/libzypp.so.631

Maybe a dependency of zypper was updated during the last update, but not zypper itself? When I checked libzypp.so.631, I saw that its symbolic link was created the 7th of May of this year. There was no symbolic link for libzypp.so.619 so I created one. In /usr/lib64 (note that I am running the 64 bits version) I did as root:

(for the sake of completeness, after that statement I also executed ldconfig, but I do not know for sure whether it is necessary).

Voil, Yast modules start again and zypper also. Chances are this workaround breaks after another libzypp update ...

Hope this helps,

Pieter.

Thx, worked well to me

I think the problem is not because of an aborted update. Coz, I encountered the same in a fresh installation.

Following the steps mentioned above i solved it by the following commands.

cd /usr/lib64 (i am using a 64-bit system)

That solved my problem. Now, both my yast2 and zypper are working properly.

Thanks for help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast