Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OpenSuse super laggy all of a sudden

Default Re: OpenSuse super laggy all of a sudden

Did you install the propitiatory ATI driver?
    If not the problem may be in the radeon or radeonhd driver. The radeonhd in particular seems to be problamtic

I believe that the failsafe will use the vesa driver

I don't think I've installed that. I haven't installed anything after whatever was installed by the OpenSuse installer other than the updates the updater applet has told me to install and the gcc compiler. Where can I get the radeonhd driver?

Wow you guys were right, it was my graphics card that was messing things up. Idk how I did it, but I somehow got the driver installed (by following this: ATI Installer HOWTO for SUSE/Novell users) anyways my opensuse is running a-okay again and my driver reads : "fglrx" instead of "unknown" now! If everything I posted is what it should be, then thank you all for your help!!!

Thanks guys!
    Avi

Hey guys, I have an ASUS Eee 1000HA (with intel atom) and i'm having the exact same issue. Especially with firefox, its so laggy even scrolling is unresponsively slow, like down syndrome. What are my options? Are there specific drivers i should download for the intel atom? And how do i get them?

Did this just start or was it always slow.

It is more likely a video driver problem then a CPU one. Do you know what video chip?

at a command prompt

lspci

to list the PCI devices should show the video chip

From the top command it's seen that Xorg takes more than 40% of CPU.

It happens to me too. Being on 11.2 and KDE 4.4.3. I have NVidia drivers (for GeForce 7300 LE) and I've turned off desktop effects (otherwise it's laggy all the time), I don't use Firefox, but Chrome and Rekonq instead. Chrome's flash is dead slow, so occasionally I start Firefox to see some video online.
    So about 3 times a day I have to logout from KDE and log back in, otherwise the system goes to a state where I can't even go to command line to kill Xorg. Sometimes if I just don't do anything when the lagging starts, Xorg gets over with himself with about 5 minutes and then I can breathe again.

Is it some bug in Xorg or smth?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12