Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Problems setting permissions on NTFS partition

  1. #1

    Default Problems setting permissions on NTFS partition

    Hi everyone.

    I've recently installed an OpenSuse 11.2 in what I'd like to be a definitive jump from windows environment.

    I'm not very confident yet with my linux skills, so at this moment I've yet have both systems installed with a data NTFS partition to store music, movies, documents, and general data that I'd like to use in any of the two systems.

    The NTFS partition has no writting permissions for anybody except root user, so I can't work anything from my personal user without starting an app like su or login as root.

    I want to change this by making a group (windowsWriters) where my usual user is included wich I pretend to make the group owner of NTFS partition.

    I've created the group and inserted my user into it, but I'm unable to change the owner group nor any permission on NTFS partition or any of it's subdirectories.

    I've tried to made it through opening dolphin as su (Alt+F2 kdesu dolphin) and through chmod in consolemode logged as root, in both cases the action seems to work correctly and no error is spotted, however when I look again at the partition/folder/file permissions/ownership no changes have been made.

    What could am I losing?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    15,651

    Default Re: Problems setting permissions on NTFS partition

    I assume that the NTFS is mounted at boot. Post the output of

    cat /etc/fstab

    You can set permissions in that file. But first we need to see what is there.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Problems setting permissions on NTFS partition

    Both, system and data partitions are mounted as proposed by default in installation.

    Here the result of the fstab:
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3200827AS_4ND4LGBP-part5 swap swap defaults 0 0
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3200827AS_4ND4LGBP-part6 / ext4 acl,user_xattr 1 1
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3200827AS_4ND4LGBP-part7 /home ext4 acl,user_xattr 1 2
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3200827AS_4ND4LGBP-part1 /windows/C ntfs-3g users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022,locale=es_ES.UTF-8 0 0
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3500320AS_9QM4B9NC-part1 /windows/D ntfs-3g users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022,locale=es_ES.UTF-8 0 0
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
    debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs noauto 0 0
    usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    11,727
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Problems setting permissions on NTFS partition

    Chown and chmod don't work on NTFS partitions because they're not Linux filesystems. You control the permissions from the mount command; e.g. the line for the partition in fstab.

    Ususlaay you can make an NTFS mount in fstab world-writable by making your mounts like this (edit of existing):
    Code:
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3500320AS_9QM4B9NC-part1 /windows/D ntfs-3g locale=es_ES.UTF-8 0 0
    That chopped out these options which were constraining the mount to be root-only writable: users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022,

    FFI read here: HowTo Mount NTFS Filesystem Partition Read Write Access in openSUSE
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1(Beta) &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    11,727
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Problems setting permissions on NTFS partition

    If you really want to adhere to your plan, this will make the partition writable owned by user "suzette" and group "windowsWriters":
    Code:
    /blah_blah-part1 /windows/D ntfs-3g uid=suzette,gid=windowWriters,umask=0022,locale=es_ES.UTF-8 0 0
    and this will make it owned in the more-usual Linux fashion by suzette:users
    Code:
    /blah_blah-part1 /windows/D ntfs-3g uid=suzette,gid=users,umask=0022,locale=es_ES.UTF-8 0 0
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1(Beta) &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

  6. #6

    Default Re: Problems setting permissions on NTFS partition

    Thank you both. Swerdna, the link you provided resulted very useful, now I have my desired environment.

    A couple of questions come to my mind, I wonder if you could answer it if you dont mind.

    I supose that "suzette" is some nick of opensuse root. Is that correct or am I nobbing loud and clear?

    Respecting permissions masks, what is the logic that applies to assign a number to any rwxrwxrwx permission string? I remember something about adding values of every permission to obtain a final value, but I'm not so sure of how that it worked...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,662
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Problems setting permissions on NTFS partition

    I guess 'suzette' is from creativity, never heard it as a nick/alias.

    About the logic of 'rwxrwxrwx':
    it's three parts, for owning-user :: owning-group :: others
    Each parts has three bits for switching read write and exec/access on/off (1/0). So rwx -> 111, r-x -> 101. If you now convert the binary number to decimal you will see that rwx -> 111 -> 7, r-x -> 101 -> 5, rw- -> 110 -> 6 etc. So chmod 664 means rw- for the owner of the file/folder, rw- for the group, r-- (read only) for the rest of the world.
    Hope that makes things more clear for you. It's a good thing to study this and get to understand it, makes life on a linux machine easy.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    11,727
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Problems setting permissions on NTFS partition

    Quote Originally Posted by Bardobrave View Post
    Thank you both. Swerdna, the link you provided resulted very useful, now I have my desired environment.

    A couple of questions come to my mind, I wonder if you could answer it if you dont mind.

    I supose that "suzette" is some nick of opensuse root. Is that correct or am I nobbing loud and clear?

    Respecting permissions masks, what is the logic that applies to assign a number to any rwxrwxrwx permission string? I remember something about adding values of every permission to obtain a final value, but I'm not so sure of how that it worked...
    lol briefly. I was obscure. I should have said: if you want to mount it with yourself as the owner, use your username in the "uid=" option in the mount command. And I just used suzette as a typical example. [and I often use that name because it's the name of the mother of two of my grandchildren ]

    The logic of permissions? Yes there is an aritmetic way to sort out the so-called "mask". I can never remeber it so I have a reference that I refer to: Notes on chown and chmod
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1(Beta) &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

  9. #9

    Default Re: Problems setting permissions on NTFS partition

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    I guess 'suzette' is from creativity, never heard it as a nick/alias.

    About the logic of 'rwxrwxrwx':
    it's three parts, for owning-user :: owning-group :: others
    Each parts has three bits for switching read write and exec/access on/off (1/0). So rwx -> 111, r-x -> 101. If you now convert the binary number to decimal you will see that rwx -> 111 -> 7, r-x -> 101 -> 5, rw- -> 110 -> 6 etc. So chmod 664 means rw- for the owner of the file/folder, rw- for the group, r-- (read only) for the rest of the world.
    Hope that makes things more clear for you. It's a good thing to study this and get to understand it, makes life on a linux machine easy.
    Ok, understood. I've studied it long ago, but I simply couldn't remember. Thank you.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Problems setting permissions on NTFS partition

    Quote Originally Posted by swerdna View Post
    lol briefly. I was obscure. I should have said: if you want to mount it with yourself as the owner, use your username in the "uid=" option in the mount command. And I just used suzette as a typical example. [and I often use that name because it's the name of the mother of two of my grandchildren ]
    Np It's good to make some noobing. I think of it at the beginning... but... Suse --> Suze --> suzette... well, it has some sense in my twisted mind...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •