Thread: BSOD on windows 7 after open SUSE 11.2 install

Default BSOD on windows 7 after open SUSE 11.2 install

Hello i was wondering if any of you had the same problem i did. I recently installed opensuse 11.2 on my laptop which also had windows vista and windows 7, i created a new partition and the installation went smoothly, after i went to boot back into windows 7 i got a blue screen of death, strangely vista boots perfectly. I could just reinstall windows 7 but its a pain to reinstall all my programs and such, any solutions?

Thanks-Huffman

Default Re: BSOD on windows 7 after open SUSE 11.2 install

Quote Originally Posted by huffman416 View Post
    Hello i was wondering if any of you had the same problem i did. I recently installed opensuse 11.2 on my laptop which also had windows vista and windows 7, i created a new partition and the installation went smoothly, after i went to boot back into windows 7 i got a blue screen of death, strangely vista boots perfectly. I could just reinstall windows 7 but its a pain to reinstall all my programs and such, any solutions?

Thanks-Huffman
    How did you create the partition for Linux to go on? If you didn't use Windows 7 - defragment then Windows 7 - shrink volume this would explain some of your difficulties. Where Linux can shrink a Windows partition, it expects that the partition has been defragmented otherwise file fragments may still exist in the area released to make space. If this issue has happened and the fragments are part of files used to run the Windows 7 system then a BSOD is unavoidable.
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

Where Linux can shrink a Windows partition, it expects that the partition has been defragmented otherwise file fragments may still exist in the area released to make space. If this issue has happened and the fragments are part of files used to run the Windows 7 system then a BSOD is unavoidable.
    Well that is not born out by my experience with shrinking undefragmented volumes on Windows XP. I should imagine Windows 7 is the same. In fact the man page for ntfsresize, upon which the Yast resize function for NTFS is based says:

The ntfsresize program safely resizes Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000, Windows NT4 and Longhorn NTFS filesystems without data loss. All NTFS versions are supported, used by 32-bit and 64-bit Windows. Defragmentation is NOT required prior to resizing because the program can relocate any data if needed, without risking data integrity.
    Getting back to the problem, huffman416, what does it say on the BSOD or does it reboot instantly so you cannot see it? If so you need to set AutoReboot in the registry to 0.

Quote Originally Posted by plodder View Post
    Well that is not born out by my experience with shrinking undefragmented volumes on Windows XP. I should imagine Windows 7 is the same. In fact the man page for ntfsresize, upon which the Yast resize function for NTFS is based says:

Getting back to the problem, huffman416, what does it say on the BSOD or does it reboot instantly so you cannot see it? If so you need to set AutoReboot in the registry to 0.
    Since you seem to have more experience than my 35+ years, I'll bow out.
    Re: Best way to shrink windows partition?
    Download the gparted live cd and you can shrink windows.
    Just before you do that,defrag windows to the bones.

GParted -- Live CD/USB/PXE/HD
    Windows 7 forums:
    why cant I shrink this partition farther?
    I'm trying to shrink the C drive to whatever is on there now and leave a few extra GB then clone the drive. It's only allowing me to shrink it to 490gb but only 120 of the 900 gb are being used rightnow.
    A. This is normal. Halfway between byte 0 and byte n on the disk/partition, the system parks the MFT (master file table). And you cannot go beyond that. There are programs that move the MFT, but they are not safe. I once screwed up my system with one of those wonder programs. All I got was BSOD until I forced a re-install.
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

Blog Entries

I don't fully trust Linux to shrink an NTFS partition that hasn't been defragged. You can't ever trust Linux to shrink a windows 7 NTFS partition (not yet anyway). I would never use openSUSE's installer to shrink an NTFS partition unless I didn't need the data.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

I would never shrink any partition with any software without backing up first.

Can you access your windows7 partition from openSUSE or vista? If so I would backup anything needed, if not already done.
    I would also run chckdsk on the unmounted windows7 partition from vista (or knowing how windows likes to keep changes to its file system secret, from a windows7 repair disc)
    I would keep an accurate note of any error messages to post here.
    I would also open a terminal in openSUSE and
    Code:
    su -
    then enter your root password then
    fdisk -l
    and post the output along with any error messages you have recieved.