Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need fax Help!

Default Need fax Help!

Hello List, Moderators,

I'm after something simple to use similar to the XP fax client/fax printer. Hylafax seems an overkill.

HPlip app seems to expect an HP printer/scanner or fax machine. Is it true that hplip is an HP exclusive?

I'm using opensuse 11.2 with kde 4.3.1, but I would consider gfax. Gfax is not on my DVD. The docs for that on the hylafax site stop at 2008. Is an up to date Gfax a possibility?

I see most of the hylafax posts in the archive get redirected to the hylafax website. I've been thru most of that stuff, but much it's out of date. Hylafax seems to be the basis for other apps.

I'm signed up for the Hylafax-user list, but I didn't see any hylafax archives to browse thru.

If you are still with me here, I have an opensuse 11.2 with a dial-up internet. From the DVD I installed from I installed hylafax-4.4.4-19.3.i586 and client.

That install load a bunch of fax tools at places the hylafax docs don't expect. Besides that their docs only go up to opensuse 10.2, tho there is some stuff or enterprise suse.

Let me leave this post here and see how well it is received! Heboland

Default Re: Need fax Help!

heboland wrote:
    > Let me leave this post here and see how well it is received! Heboland

i see it has been over 48 hours with no response....i can *guess* that
    is because so few folks around here use FAX anymore..

i know i've not sent one in five or six years (maybe more) because
    most anyone i would want to send to also has email and the ability to
    view text, docs, images, pdf etc etc etc..

i know that doesn't help you but it might point you to the way you
    _have_ to go....and, that is alone (unless someone else can answer
    your questions)..

as far as you noting "docs stop at 2008" and "their docs only go up to
    opensuse 10.2" i guess the documentation for steam railroad engineers
    ended sometimes in the 1950, and for telegraph key operators even
    earlier.. :-)

good luck..

--
    DenverD (Linux Counter 282315)
    CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
    posted via NNTP w/TBird 2.0.0.23 | KDE 3.5.7 | openSUSE 10.3
    2.6.22.19-0.4-default SMP i686
    AMD Athlon 1 GB RAM | GeForce FX 5500 | ASRock K8Upgrade-760GX |
    CMedia 9761 AC'97 Audio

Blog Entries

At least fax has more users than floppies.

Seriously, your best chance is to get hold of the last stable version of the sources and documentation and start from there. It should work, fax standards haven't changed, only the number of users who also have computers have plunged since email and PDFs.

Thank you ken_yap, DenverD,
    I thought this thread was a goner!

The rationale for wanting fax capacity is that financial or legal communication don't trust email. Some form are not avialable in a database format.

What I was hoping to establish with this post was a connection with someone that has a fax program working.

For simple, low usage intentions maybe hplip or gfax could be make to work, but the doc trail is skimpy and old.

Hylafax is reported to do most everything, but it is one size fits all. Linux is a newcomer to hylafax, so it's necessary to know if say opensuse 11.2 is like UNIX system V or like free BSD.

There's no gui with hylafax, but several java clients exist. The seem to expect that hylafax is already working.

Hylafax has so many utilities that it's a loose bundle of commands with no top level manual.

Following some old hylafax instuctions that actually end with a command, the result looks like this:

frank[2940] sendfax -n -D -d 503-392-3425 testfax.txt
    request id is 1 (group id 1) for host localhost (1 file)

So where did this "fax" go? Why didn't it dial?

I won't get into the daemons, but but for now a working fax may be the fist Linux app I couldn't get to work! Heboland

What FAX/modem card are you using? I suspect that it may be a configuration problem.

Blog Entries

Figure out what sendfax is doing and trace the progress of your job. Did it put it in a queue somewhere? Does it have a log file you can examine? Same procedure as with any service. Sorry, no experience with fax for about 15 years I think so my trail is cold and I can only give you general debugging advice.

Thanks again guys,
    My faxmodem is a USR 2976 PCI HW modem on ttyS4. One thing I feel confident of is that the modem is configured.

Yes, a queue would be a likely place for the fax to disappear into. The literature "speaks" of a faxq which is another of the daemons.

It doesn't show up in the sysconfig runlevels list, but the OS kills it on shutdown.

Without the help from someone who has conquered this beast, I this thread is a waste of all our times.

Before we drop this thread does either of you have any information about Gfax? It's apparently a gnome gui client for hylafax.

I added a gnome app repository, but Gfax isn't on any repository I have configured.

I joined a gfax list, but it's pretty quiet so far. They have a tarball and source rpm.

Except for Gfax info I'm ready to end this thread! Heboland

Blog Entries

I'm going to throw my 2c worth in. I haven't used fax utilities with Linux since suse 10. IIRC, I used efax and was able to set up a virtual printer (with efax-gtk), such that I could print to fax (much like in M$ Windows).

The efax package is still available for openSUSE 11.2

Webpin

Ubuntu faxing info

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/printing/C/faxing.html

The efax-gtk GUI front-end may be useful to you, but I couldn't locate an openSUSE RPM for it. Maybe MalcomLewis or one of the other package gurus could make a suitable package for you. Otherwise, you will have to install via tarball.

Blog Entries

This might be helpful with respect to setting up a fax printer. Then faxing is convenient from any app.

Re: [opensuse] openSUSE and faxes

4. Create a fax printer. The easiest way is:
    as root:
    # /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p FaxPrinter -E -v socket://localhost:9900

Thank you deano_ferrari, I will look into this.

Building from tarball or source rpm shouldn't be a problem for me. What I've seen so far is that eFax is not a free program, but they have a free trial package available.

Your links look interesting. I'll post back after I check them out. Heboland

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast