Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Android and KDE PIM

Default Android and KDE PIM

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but has anyone had any success in syncing and android phone to KDE PIM?
    I'm just looking for a new phone and was wondering if this would work. I'm mostly after being able to sync Kontact and the Calender.

Default Re: Android and KDE PIM

Anyone?
    I'm looking at the HTC Desire or myself & my wife (or an iPhone).

Have I posted this in the wrong area or is Android a bit new at the moment?
    Thanks for reading

Blog Entries

From what it looks like nobody here. I have a friend with a G1 and an openSUSE computer, I'll mail him to ask what can be done.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

I gave up on KDE PIM because of its inability to sync with anything...
    Günter

Desk: Tumbleweed, KDE 5, AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 16Gb, 120Gb SSD, 2 SATA.
    Lap: Thinkpad T430, Tumbleweed, Intel i5, 8Gb, SSD.

Quote Originally Posted by asarge View Post
    I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but has anyone had any success in syncing and android phone to KDE PIM?
    I'm just looking for a new phone and was wondering if this would work. I'm mostly after being able to sync Kontact and the Calender.

What you mean with "synchronisation" you think you emails, time date...)?

You don't need a "synchronisation" like with windows ce. You can mount your android phone like a drive. Use the app "auto mount your sd card" so you can transfer sound, files, movies, pdf's on your android smartphone. The android os makes the auto sync, if you are connected to the internet with the google server...

If you use android os, better use gmail, so you can save your contacts and calendar in the "cloud". So can get this informations everywhere an...and if your phone gets lost...you do not lost your contacts. You can make "backup" if you not trust in google. There a lot of apps in the market... I'm very confident...
    HP Mini 5101, openSUSE 11.2

100%-NETBOOK-USER
    100%-LINUX-USER
    100%-openSUSE-USER

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb_IX View Post
    What you mean with "synchronisation" you think you emails, time date...)?

You don't need a "synchronisation" like with windows ce. You can mount your android phone like a drive. Use the app "auto mount your sd card" so you can transfer sound, files, movies, pdf's on your android smartphone. The android os makes the auto sync, if you are connected to the internet with the google server...

If you use android os, better use gmail, so you can save your contacts and calendar in the "cloud". So can get this informations everywhere an...and if your phone gets lost...you do not lost your contacts. You can make "backup" if you not trust in google. There a lot of apps in the market... I'm very confident...
    Sorry. I want to be able to sync the calender mostly and possibly my contacts. I wouldn't bother syncing my emails.
    Thanks

I am also looking for an Android phone and I am waiting a little bit more until syncing is working better.

What I found out is that you can use Akonadi (which was imho a very good idea by the KDE guys). You should use KDE 4.4 and install an extra package called akonadi_googledata from the KDE 4.4 community repository.
    With this resource-type Akonadi is able to sync contacts from google (the new KAddressbook can utilize Akonadi).
    Its also possible to sync the calendar but as far as I know there is not KDE-App using this resource by now.

But you might want to wait until KDE 4.5 since more PIM applications are said to be using Akonadi then.

So until now, the only way to "sync" is by going the way over the google services. There is no tool that syncs the data directly from phone to desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by Macro81 View Post

What I found out is that you can use Akonadi (which was imho a very good idea by the KDE guys). You should use KDE 4.4 and install an extra package called akonadi_googledata from the KDE 4.4 community repository.
    With this resource-type Akonadi is able to sync contacts from google (the new KAddressbook can utilize Akonadi).
    Its also possible to sync the calendar but as far as I know there is not KDE-App using this resource by now.
    thx for the info. First time i heard about this!
    HP Mini 5101, openSUSE 11.2

100%-NETBOOK-USER
    100%-LINUX-USER
    100%-openSUSE-USER

You probably have to be a bit stubborn to get it working though :-)

First important thing: go to system-settings (not yast) -> network -> proxy -> choose "directly connected to the internet"
    otherwise the plugin will not be able to connect to Google.

Then you have two ways in adding this resource
    1. use KAddressbook -> New Addressbook -> look for the Google Resource
    2. Use the Akonadi Administration: search for Akonadi in control panel -> Setup Akondai Resource
    Sometimes it behaves kinda strange, for example on my laptop I had to go with #1 but on my Desktop I had to use #2 in order to get the Addressbook appearing in KAddressbook (well a complete rewrite is always buggy in the first place)

The resource gets a weird name, just rename it in KAddressbook.

Be aware, its still not production ready! I lost all my data due to a corrupt disc an thought "hey great...all my contacts are on google thanks to Akonadi" but somehow only the email and pictures were there afterwards but no phone numbers. I think I overwrote my contacts with the Akonadi resource from my second pc...so be a little bit carefull and make some backups

Thanks for that. If and when I get the phones I will give it a try (after backing up)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast