Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45.000 Strong !!

Blog Entries

Default Re: 45.000 Strong !!

Admit: I was a bit premature. Just wanted to prevent one of those endless discussions where every new post proves the wrong of the previous. I'm aware of the fact that not the figures are disputable, but the methods to get them.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by swerdna View Post
    FYI

261 users are in the group "spammers".
    A further 31 spammers in different categories have been banned
    In the last 24 hours 304 registered users visited

I must say that I think the 30559 number is an error, we had some kind of glitch once and that number popped out IIRC. Must look into that -- will search the Mod's archives.
    Thank you swerda, very interesting. Actually I am positively surprised about the low number of Spammers, I would have expected worse. Interesting.

@knurpht:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DenverD View Post
    oldcpu wrote:[color=blue]
    > I also note > Most users that is a shockingly high number..

so high so as to be unbelievable..
    I believe it. Why is it so shocking? We ARE a large community. Its just most users say nothing and lurk. I lukered for 7 years before I started posting.

In the old SLS forum we on occasions had numbers > 10,000 users visiting ....

The old SF forum had similar numbers. I was an active participant in both of those old forums ..

I do not know about the Novell forum (which was the third involved in the merge) but I do believe they also brought a number of users to our new forum.

I think there is a definite synergy that has been obtained by the 3 forum merge, and numbers such as that quoted suggest to me that in terms of number of visits to our forum, were were successful in the merge.

Now do I think exactly 30559 separate people were visitiing on at that time? No, I think some had left their pc on the forum, and went to a movie, or they were doing something else with the pc having a forum page open. I think others were visiting via separate multiple pcs at the same time (I do that fairly often). I think some users went to a different web site, and then came back. I think there were a certain number of visits by search engines ... etc ...

... but I also do not think that number is shocking nor unrealistic. Rather it is consistent with pre-merge numbers, and I would be disappointed if we did not see such numbers.

Why is it so hard to believe? Did you ever check the numbers of the 3 forums pre-merge? Do have have a handle at all on the pre-merge numbers?

obviously, that date is sometime after the log in/out mechanism stopped automatically logging folks out after 2 hours (or whatever it used to be)..
    Possibly, but I think the number is still reasonable given the past pre-forum merge numbers.

i wonder how many of those 30k were actually active or just still logged in, with no activity for hours/days..
    Days?? ... my guess is a BIG ZERO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swerdna View Post
    I must say that I think the 30559 number is an error, we had some kind of glitch once and that number popped out IIRC. Must look into that -- will search the Mod's archives.
    swerdna, I'm not convinced its an error. We had numbers > 10,000 for each of our SLS and SF forums pre-merge. [or am I out by a factor of 10 ?? ... I need to go check some old posts were we discussed this and specific post counts of old forums brought up]

Blog Entries

I note right now:
    112 members and 7028 guests
    Most users ever online was 30559, 08-Jan-2010 at 15:06.
    7028 guests.

So what is the criteria to trigger a count of the 7028 guests ?

In my view the 7028 guests (which is not a peak) is consistent with the 30559. Typically in the past the numbers peak for a wide period of a few months after the time of a new openSUSE release.

stakanov wrote:
    > Actually I am positively surprised
    > about the low number of Spammers, I would have expected worse.
    > Interesting.

yep, it is a good thing almost all of those spammers 'grew up' in the
    M$ GUI Only & HTTP Age, otherwise they would know about the drawbridge
    over the moat on the back side of the castle with neither need to have
    an ID/Pass nor proactive watchman on the gate.. :-)

[just stretching the cognitive powers of the multi-lingual in this
    place..]

--
    DenverD (Linux Counter 282315)
    CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
    posted via NNTP w/TBird 2.0.0.23 | KDE 3.5.7 | openSUSE 10.3
    2.6.22.19-0.4-default SMP i686
    AMD Athlon 1 GB RAM | GeForce FX 5500 | ASRock K8Upgrade-760GX |
    CMedia 9761 AC'97 Audio

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    swerdna, I'm not convinced its an error. We had numbers > 10,000 for each of our SLS and SF forums pre-merge. [or am I out by a factor of 10 ?? ... I need to go check some old posts were we discussed this and specific post counts of old forums brought up]
    I don't find K35 wild, just very surprising, but I'm happyto admit that I'm often wrong (a fact that my wife and kdz endorse).
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1(Beta) &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

I for one don't find these numbers impossible to believe. Granted I'm rather new to the community I have observed a couple of things that help explain the growth. For instance in other communities ( not all necessarily Linux based but computer/nerd oriented) there is often a lot of jabbing of the new or less knowledgeable especially if they ask what more experienced memebers would consider a stupid question. Well here I've noted that everyone seems friendly to everyone aside from the occasional trouble maker. I for one will be much more likely to come back to a forum to ask more questions or read up on what's new if the members are nice and I feel comfortable posting.

The other thing I've noticed is response time this community is amazingly fast when it comes to someone atleast responding to a new thread.. Not necessarily with the answer right away but someone is always willing to help/troubleshoot.

In summary I suppose I'm trying to say.. Good job
    You never know what is enough, until you know what is more than enough. ~William Blake, Proverbs of Hell

Often I visit withou logging on. So inthese cases a 'guest'.
    I think many visit to seek help (the strong point) and others lurk to learn. I think it sonly after acertain competancy is reached than users 'use' the forums. The very new do not, as they find many explainations 'technical'. One answer by SWERDNA to an othe person solved a problem I had and thus 'drew me in to the forum'. Thisis probably typical ( & thanks swerdna!)
    Regards
    Eionmac
    openSUSE LEAP 15.1 , Windows 10 ; Various old computers dual boot and Live Linux distros

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12