Thread: Is it possible to install package without its dependency ?

Default Is it possible to install package without its dependency ?

I already install mplayer-mt manually from git repository. Now, I want to install gnome-mplayer but it require me to install vanilla mplayer again.

Is there a way to tell that dependency already met ? Or should I just make mplayer-mt package by myself ? (this kinda work in ubuntu)

thanks

Default Re: Is it possible to install package without its dependency ?

Yes - when you select Gnome-mplayer in YaST, it should give the list of dependencies. Simply uncheck those you don't want. You will probably get an error message but it should go ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by john_hudson View Post
    Yes - when you select Gnome-mplayer in YaST, it should give the list of dependencies. Simply uncheck those you don't want. You will probably get an error message but it should go ahead.
    Thanks, I'm new to opensuse. I'll try that when I'm at my opensuse box.

I couldn't to find the option to uncheck it. Am I in the wrong program ? My opensuse is 11.2

Blog Entries

Welcome here.

I strongly suggest that you never ignore dependency matters. The word 'dependency' says it all. Chances are you will be left with an instable system. Yes, the app may run now, but some future action may require the deps, bringing crashes etc etc.
    You're new to openSUSE, please stick to installing the available stuff first. If you need packages go Software.openSUSE.org, it may very well provide what you need.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by yumyai View Post
    Or should I just make mplayer-mt package by myself ?
    Yes, and if you set it to provide mplayer in your SPEC file, anything will be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Welcome here.

I strongly suggest that you never ignore dependency matters. The word 'dependency' says it all. Chances are you will be left with an instable system. Yes, the app may run now, but some future action may require the deps, bringing crashes etc etc.
    You're new to openSUSE, please stick to installing the available stuff first. If you need packages go Software.openSUSE.org, it may very well provide what you need.
    Thanks for your concern, but I want to play around with it. Also, I want to change compile's option from default.

by the way, is there any command similar to apt-get source (download package but not install it) in opensuse ?

Yes, read "man zypper", although I would advise against it for the same reason I would not use apt-get source.

Get the src.rpm and unpack/install it as _normal user_, you can do all the steps needed for modifying/building a package as normal user, so why do it as root?

//Edit:

Even better and highly recommended:

Run

Code:
    mkdir $HOME/myrpms

echo "%_topdir $HOME/myrpms" > $HOME/.rpmmacros
    as _normal user_, now you can build your own packages inside your $HOME/myrpms _without_ needing root privileges except the only action they are really needed for, installing/removing packages.

You can even add this directory as a local repo (plaindir) and use it with zypper/YaST.

I'm sorry to pump up this thread again but... did you end up creating your own spec file? Would you mind to share if you did so?

Thanks a lot!

Regards