installing klibido (and other app installation frustrations)

im a new suse user coming from kubuntu and I have to say im frustrated with trying to install stuff already. Im used to apt-get and the software managers in ubuntu, I can install these two programs in under a minute(klibido, pypar2), Not so much on suse … there has got to be something easier than what im doing? klibido and pypar dont show up in yast.

I had to manually find the dependencies for pypar2 and managed to get pypar installed via rpm.

Now im working with a klibido rpm thats *****ing about dependencies again!

zypper doesnt find these programs either … is there seriously no easy manager like apt get utils on ubuntu? this may sway my distro choice

im sure theres a lot im missing … and keep in mind im new linux user so if ive missed the obvious, forgive me :stuck_out_tongue:

heres the dependency issues with the current rpm, but honestly it doesnt matter … if theres no apt-get alternative thats as simple … ill be reos’ing today:

http://www.capitalcomputers.net/snapshot2.jpeg

Well, every sane package manager (and I consider apt amongst them) will deny you installing packages incompatible to your OS or if there are missing dependencies due to user’s misconfiguration of installation sources, either one is here the case.

And every sane package manager (I consider zypper amongst them) will install packages if they are compatible and available:

# zypper install klibido
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
Resolving package dependencies...

The following NEW packages are going to be installed:
  db46 klibido 

2 new packages to install.
Overall download size: 1.5 MiB. After the operation, additional 4.2 MiB will be used.
Continue? [y/n/?] (y): 
Retrieving package db46-4.6.21-44.1.x86_64 (1/2), 1.0 MiB (2.6 MiB unpacked)
Retrieving: db46-4.6.21-44.1.x86_64.rpm [done (196.9 KiB/s)]
Retrieving package klibido-0.2.5-69.1.x86_64 (2/2), 465.0 KiB (1.5 MiB unpacked)
Retrieving: klibido-0.2.5-69.1.x86_64.rpm [done (160.2 KiB/s)]
Retrieving package db46-4.6.21-44.1.x86_64 (3/2), 1.0 MiB (2.6 MiB unpacked)
Installing: db46-4.6.21-44.1 [done]
Additional rpm output:
warning: /var/cache/zypp/packages/home_bauno/x86_64/db46-4.6.21-44.1.x86_64.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 51d9e17e

Installing: klibido-0.2.5-69.1 [done]
Additional rpm output:
warning: /var/cache/zypp/packages/home_bauno/x86_64/klibido-0.2.5-69.1.x86_64.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 51d9e17e

Q.E.D.

could you possibly be any more bleak?

misconfiguration of installation sources? care to explain?

linux-5cri:/home/tek # zypper install klibido
Loading repository data…
Reading installed packages…
‘klibido’ not found.
Resolving package dependencies…

Nothing to do.

dont get flamey for newb questions please, just trying to figure this **** out. Do I use the x86_64 packages or the i586? Im running the 64 bit suse copy and an intel dual core. Also I have the same dependency error on either package.

Package repositories - openSUSE

Add package repositories - openSUSE

YaST/Software/Community Repositories – openSUSE

Software.openSUSE.org

Webpin

haha … more bleakness!

nice links and all … i could have guessed i needed some repos

maybe you didnt read the part where I said new linux user, links are cool and all but still rather bleak, ill look through them

edit: ive seen all these links googling this bs, doesnt tell me what im missing or what im doing wrong, sigh

http://www.capitalcomputers.net/snapshot4.jpeg

now you show me yours :slight_smile: that should do

sorry if i sound feisty, just frustrating how non friendly/easy this has been compared to kubuntu

anybody? any info would help here

not sure why im still wasting my time … im trying so hard to love suse but its just not working

does anyone want to explain why Akoellh’s zypper works for klibido and mine doesnt?

To begin with you seem to have packman two times in the repos. I do not know how that works out, but I could imagine this not being verry efficient.

Then better disable the libdvdcss repo. You only need it once. And you have this one twice also, so delete one of them.

Also disable the cd one. You do not need it anymore, because you have the online repos now.

That said we come back to your original question. It seems that you are a bit touchy here. You start with complaining that everything in an earlier incarnation was much better and understandable. Now we are all volunteers spending some spare time to help others with technical problems in openSUSE. Most of us want to use that time a bit efficient and are thus not to happy to have to read through all sorts of complaints which have nothing to do with the problem you have. Simply said, the first reaction of a lot of people will be: please install Ubuntu and be happy.

The technical poblem. As a YaST search does not show klibido available on the standard repos and also a webpin search does not reveal it, I do not know where Akoellh found it. Seemingly he found/has a repo where it sits. I do not know if he is still watching this, but I would not be ver amazed if he turned to something else on reading your posts.

You found some RPM somewhere (you do not explain where). And that RPM says it needs dependencies. That means it needs other RPMs, but as it is just an RPM and not a repo no RPM installer (being it zypper or apt-get) can do much about it.

So please decide if you want to go back to another distro, or are willing to try to read and understand a bit about this one.

http://software.opensuse.org/search?baseproject=openSUSE%3A11.2&p=1&q=klibido

Klibido is easily found with the “openSUSE Software” search in Firefox. Now the only missing step is to add the repository and do what Akoellh did.

Analogous with that other software, pypar2.

Hm, using Webpin does not seem to cover everything, had to use this one also. Strange that Webpin is more or less ‘official’ in Yast > Software.

It’s not your newness that’s the problem it’s your attitude. Typical *buntu user, this works in *buntu doesn’t work in your distro so it’s your distro’ that’s the problem not my lack of knowledge.

A post like that deserves flames or complete disinterest. If you want help you first need to learn how to earn it.

:sarcastic:

Flames deserved of not, we do not like them here. I hope nobody feels invited.