Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for fstab gui?

Default Looking for fstab gui?

Back in 2005 somebody wrote PySDM for Ubuntu. I was just looking to see if we @ openSUSE had such a handy tool, and I can't find any. Nor is PySDM found in WebPIN.

Am I missing something in Yast (to edit fstab)? Is there some reason I don't want to use PySDM (that I don't know)?
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers

Learn from the mistakes of others. You cant live long enough to make them all yourself. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Default Re: Looking for fstab gui?

Editing fstab can be done with Yast>System>Partitioner
    OpenSuse 13.1 with KDE 4.11 on Intel I7 930 motherboard Asus P6T SE - RAM 6 Gb
    - video card NVIDIA GT220 1GB - TV card Hauppauge WinTV Nova T stick

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spokesinger
    Back in 2005 somebody wrote PySDM for Ubuntu. I was just looking to see
    if we @ openSUSE had such a handy tool, and I can't find any. Nor is
    PySDM found in WebPIN.

Am I missing something in Yast (to edit fstab)? Is there some reason I
    don't want to use PySDM (that I don't know)?
    Hi
    In YaST partitioner you can add the options etc to fstab? If you want I
    can look at building an rpm for you?

--
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.3 Milestone 5 (i586) Kernel 2.6.34-rc3-3-desktop
    up 5 days 20:42, 2 users, load average: 0.11, 0.31, 0.26
    ASUS eeePC 1000HE ATOM N280 1.66GHz | GPU Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME

Blog Entries

Or

Code:
    kdesu kwrite /etc/fstab
    Code:
    gnomesu gedit /etc/fstab
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Yes, caf, I know about gnomesu gedit, tyvm. I'm trying to find a gui to simplify things a little!
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers

Learn from the mistakes of others. You cant live long enough to make them all yourself. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Ok - the Yast partition editor is news. And it does get me some of what I was seeking. btw, for other interested seekers: Menu - Yast <Partitioner> - click on a partition, then <Edit>. At the bottom of the dialog you will see <fstab options>.

But what of mounting a samba share? It seems I might be able to do that via NFS, but it doesn't work when I just tried it. Perhaps my firewall needs to allow something special for the NFS? Or do I need to set up the samba server to allow NFS?

Quote Originally Posted by spokesinger View Post
    Yes, caf, I know about gnomesu gedit, tyvm. I'm trying to find a gui to simplify things a little!
    It is a gross error to think that using GUIs do simplify things per se.

Using a man pages and working with the CLI might give better insight and grip on the subject in many cases. That said, YaST isn't bad as a GUI for /etc/fstab.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by spokesinger View Post
    Ok - the Yast partition editor is news. And it does get me some of what I was seeking. btw, for other interested seekers: Menu - Yast <Partitioner> - click on a partition, then <Edit>. At the bottom of the dialog you will see <fstab options>.

But what of mounting a samba share? It seems I might be able to do that via NFS, but it doesn't work when I just tried it. Perhaps my firewall needs to allow something special for the NFS? Or do I need to set up the samba server to allow NFS?
    Samba is not NFS like Windows is not Linux.

YaST has NFS client (and NFS server).

YaST has Samba server, but I do not see Samba client. In any case everybody seems to use Swerdna's Howto.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    In YaST partitioner you can add the options etc to fstab? If you want I
    can look at building an rpm for you?

--
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.3 Milestone 5 (i586) Kernel 2.6.34-rc3-3-desktop
    up 5 days 20:42, 2 users, load average: 0.11, 0.31, 0.26
    ASUS eeePC 1000HE ATOM N280 1.66GHz | GPU Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME
    Malcolm - lemme see - about the options, I open up the partitioner, and go to the fstab options. I can change mount point, or mount reference (disk-id, uuid, etc), then some other options like "mount read-only" "do not mount at start" etc, and an entry box at the bottom for additional options. Seems pretty thorough.

Pretty much everything except the last two options on an fstab entry line - I forget what the next-to-last is, the last one is the file system check priority.

As for building an RPM, idk. I think it appears to be superior to the partitioner as an fstab tool.
    PySDM, a PyGTK Storage Device Manager It will "Configure other fstab entries (proc, sys, bind mounts, network file systems)", for which the partitioner's capacity seems limited. So, I would welcome the opportunity to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Samba is not NFS like Windows is not Linux.

YaST has NFS client (and NFS server).

YaST has Samba server, but I do not see Samba client. In any case everybody seems to use Swerdna's Howto.
    lol - samba is not NFS - good to know! TY.

YaST has Samba server, but I do not see Samba client. - ditto.

Swerdna's Howto - excellent HowTo, I use it myself. But, work with me here - I'm trying to make it so I, and perhaps others, don't have to go to the command line to make something (that should be simple) happen.

For other seekers, here is a link to Swerdna's excellent HowTo
    Samba: HowTo Mount a CIFS Network Share [AKA Map Network Drive] in openSUSE 11 plus FAQs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast