Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A php, html and css editor

Default A php, html and css editor

Right i'm running Linux Suse 11.2 with Gnome 2.28 and i want to install a php, html and css editor but i don't know which one to use or how to go about installing it on linux

Is there any tutuorials or guides on installing software on linux suse 11.2 and which editor would you recomment?

Blog Entries

Default Re: A php, html and css editor

Quote Originally Posted by Luminosity-
    Right i'm running Linux Suse 11.2 with Gnome 2.28 and i want to install
    a php, html and css editor but i don't know which one to use or how to
    go about installing it on linux

Is there any tutuorials or guides on installing software on linux suse
    11.2 and which editor would you recomment?
    Hi
    I like/use bluefish 2.0 (http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/) from the
    editors repository. Just press the one-click and follow the
    instructions, however ensure you "uncheck" the box 'remain subscribed
    to repository after installation' the reason is to ensure you keep the
    active repositories to the minimum.

--
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.45-0.1-default
    up 4 days 0:43, 3 users, load average: 0.18, 0.16, 0.24
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 195.36.15

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    I like/use bluefish 2.0 (Bluefish Editor : Home) from the
    editors repository. Just press the one-click and follow the
    instructions, however ensure you "uncheck" the box 'remain subscribed
    to repository after installation' the reason is to ensure you keep the
    active repositories to the minimum.

--
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.45-0.1-default
    up 4 days 0:43, 3 users, load average: 0.18, 0.16, 0.24
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 195.36.15
    Hi thanks for the suggestion! It look good. When you say just "Just press the one-click and follow the
    instructions" i'm lost, sorry i'm new to linux..

Blog Entries

I've recently been using NetBeans with the PHP and Database plug-ins. It's allowed me to modify the database and the php/css/js pages in one IDE.

I like it because I'm in the process of teaching myself PHP, coming from a Visual Studio and ASP.NET (VB.NET variety).

Another possibility is Aptana Studio which is either an Eclipse plug-in or a stand-alone app. It also is supposed to be pretty good with Ajax and Ruby on Rails, though I haven't gotten into either one of those yet. I've found Aptana to be a little heavy for my system (1.6GHz Pent. M w/512 MB Ram).

Bluefish is supposed to be pretty good (for Gnome) and Quanta Plus is supposed to be a very good IDE even though it's built for KDE.

Of course there is Eclipse with it's extensive list of plug-ins, which may be a little trickier at setting up.

Kompozer is a MS Front-Page-like application and while pretty good, is not necessarily the best tool. I think it focuses more for the WYSIWYG type programming.

Another thing to remember is the Text Editor (gEdit) allows for color syntax for PHP, CSS, JS and a wide variety of other programming languages. It's included in the base installation so you should have it already.

Many of these should be found in the repositories so they are available through Yast's installing software feature. You can read more on installing software via Yast at http://en.opensuse.org/YaST_Software_Management
    Last edited by dragonbite; 19-Apr-2010 at 07:13. Reason: add link to HowTo with Yast
    "Linux provides freedom, problem is most users don't know what it is or how to use it." ~me
    Friends don't let Friends wear red shirts on away parties!
    Linux User #477531 | Danbury Area Computer Society (www.dacs.org)

I generally like to use geany.. small and lightweight IDE/text editor.

Here's the link

Geany : Home Page

Quote Originally Posted by dragonbite View Post
    I've recently been using NetBeans with the PHP and Database plug-ins. It's allowed me to modify the database and the php/css/js pages in one IDE.

I like it because I'm in the process of teaching myself PHP, coming from a Visual Studio and ASP.NET (VB.NET variety).

Another possibility is Aptana Studio which is either an Eclipse plug-in or a stand-alone app. It also is supposed to be pretty good with Ajax and Ruby on Rails, though I haven't gotten into either one of those yet. I've found Aptana to be a little heavy for my system (1.6GHz Pent. M w/512 MB Ram).

Bluefish is supposed to be pretty good (for Gnome) and Quanta Plus is supposed to be a very good IDE even though it's built for KDE.

Of course there is Eclipse with it's extensive list of plug-ins, which may be a little trickier at setting up.

Kompozer is a MS Front-Page-like application and while pretty good, is not necessarily the best tool. I think it focuses more for the WYSIWYG type programming.

Another thing to remember is the Text Editor (gEdit) allows for color syntax for PHP, CSS, JS and a wide variety of other programming languages. It's included in the base installation so you should have it already.

Many of these should be found in the repositories so they are available through Yast's installing software feature. You can read more on installing software via Yast at http://en.opensuse.org/YaST_Software_Management
    I like the sound of netbeans and i've used aptana before so i'll try get these two installed and take it from there.

Thanks for your help guys.

I have a couple of other questions regarding software for coding.

Is there a good local server enviroment like Xampp or Wamp for windows avaible for linux

And what a good FTP manager where you can store the ftp details as a site, like in dreamweaver. & have a local copy which stays permanent.

Thanks For Your Help!

Blog Entries

What's wrong with setting up Xampp? I started off with this for my PHP work before saying the heck with it and installing the full LAMP (Linux Apache MySQL PHP) stack.

Changing the permissions to the actual /www folder I am able to directly place the updated PHP files there. It may not be the best method, but it works for me at this point.

Could start with looking at what Xampp includes, though I haven't a clue what 1/2 of them are for.
    "Linux provides freedom, problem is most users don't know what it is or how to use it." ~me
    Friends don't let Friends wear red shirts on away parties!
    Linux User #477531 | Danbury Area Computer Society (www.dacs.org)

What's wrong with Kate? I find it quick and no unnecessary visual pollution.
    Emil Beli
    http://www.beli.ws/blog/
    openSUSE 11.4 x64 KDE, ATI 5600, i7 dell inspire laptop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast