Firefox 3.6.3 no update option?

On my Windows xp computer, when i open Firefox 3.6.3 and go into the preferences I can click “update” and firefox can check for updates and download and install them all from inside the browser.

I have Firefox 3.6.3 on Opensuse 11.2, and in the firefox preferences in the ‘update’ section there is no way to download or install updates.
Is it impossible for Firefox to update and install by from inside firefox in OpenSuse?
Do we need to use the command line or Yast or one click installs to install software on opensuse? Can’t Firefox update from inside Firefox without yast or command line?

To use a newer version you need add a repo, you cannot update application like in windows it’s not safe to do so.

Please post the result of this from a terminal

zypper lr -d

so is there no way to update opensuse apps like in Windows? I know it’s unsafe but isn’t there a ‘disable’ option for users who don’t mind being unsafe?

No .:slight_smile:

if you add the Mozilla buildservice repo to yast2 then configure the update applet to monitor this repo it will advise you whenever there is an update of firefox and let you update via a single click.

This has probably be hapenning for you with firefox 3.5 and Opensuse update repo. For whatever reason - firefox 3.6 is not in the opensuse update repo.