Update applet stopped working

Is it just me or your update applet also stopped working recently? I’m running Factory KDE-4.4.2 and openSUSE-11.2.

It’s always “Checking for updates…” without finding any, even though I can always see new ones through Yast - Online Update.

And sometimes it asks me to accept some key, when I click OK it asks me for a root password but after I type in half of the password it simply disappears and starts “Checking for updates…” again without end.

And YAST doesn’t show any newer packages anymore but rather has “Switch system packages” on the top. If I click on that, then it starts showing newer packages and wants to update them all. But what if I want to use Packman’s packages for multimedia and Factory KDE for KDE? If I select “Switch system packages” for KDE then it will update, for example, Kaffeine to KDE’s but I want to keep it Packman’s. If I search for Kaffeine, it shows no newer packages, but if I go to Versions, there’s clearly a newer version there! Looks like a big freaking mess to me. Is this one of those YAST “improvements”?

And why does YAST show most of my Packman packages installed are higher revision than what’s on Packman? Did Packman downgrade most of its packages? If I do “Switch system packages” for the Packman’s repository, it wants to delete heaps of packages and downgrade a lot more? Any one else have this weird YAST behavior?

linuxoidoz wrote:

<Quote>
> Is it just me or your update applet also stopped working recently?
> I’m running Factory KDE-4.4.2 and openSUSE-11.2.
>
> It’s always “Checking for updates…” without finding any, even
> though I can always see new ones through Yast - Online Update.
>
</Quote>

I am seeing this after updating to 4.4.2 and also saw it on 4.4.1.
Have you filed a bug report?

Russ
| openSUSE 11.2 (2.6.31.12-18-desktop) x86_64 | KDE 4.4.2 release
241 | Intel Core 2 Dual E7200 | 4 GB RAM | GeForce 8400 GS | 320GB
Disc (2) |

Yes, just have. I just wanted to find out who broke it.