Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting from console and menu: different effect

Default Starting from console and menu: different effect

I have one application which seems to work well when started from command line but cannot load documents when started from menu and also the cursor has form of the clock for some time after executing the application from menu.

I wonder why there is so different behavior and how to make it work well anyway.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Starting from console and menu: different effect

When you launch it from the terminal, what output do you get there.
    What is the mysterious application?
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    When you launch it from the terminal, what output do you get there.
    No output
    What is the mysterious application?
    Abs

http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...-46.1.i586.rpm

Starting from command line 'abs' works well.
    Starting from menu (office->spreadsheet) does not open documents and the cursor looks like a clock.

Check your exec line in the desktop file, I suspect it is something to do with the file expansion parameter.
    Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at Wiki, if all that fails Scroogle!!!!!
    If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it sounds cool.

Quote Originally Posted by FeatherMonkey View Post
    Check your exec line in the desktop file, I suspect it is something to do with the file expansion parameter.
    I tried different variants including simply abs, env LANG=C abs and starting a script which in turn starts abs - the result is the same. When started from menu, it works wrongly.

I would be then inclined to think it is something related to the env exactly what wouldn't like to guess, something like maybe a path is wrong from the menu but not console.
    Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at Wiki, if all that fails Scroogle!!!!!
    If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it sounds cool.

Mmm it sort of works but is messy I for one would not recommend this to anyone, it looks unmaintained and very, very old. Not to mention macros I want something that is maintained and at least getting updates. How Old 10 years old is approaching archaeology in pc terms.

Go to advanced and tell it to run in terminal.

But unless you can really think of more than several good reasons to host this I really wouldn't bother I'm not sure it offers anything that OOo calc doesn't and that is being maintained and constantly updated.

This is a matter of principle, I want to know why the same application works well when run from console but does not work when run from menu. I encountered such things multiple times already.

Yes, I expected people would say not to use this program rather than give an advice how to make it work well from menu.

Because it is <blinking>10</blinking> years old and <blinking>Unmaintained</blinking>

I told you how to fix it. It's packages like this that give OBS a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by FeatherMonkey View Post
    I told you how to fix it.
    ?? May be I missed something? How to fix it?

I have just checked the environment variables in console session and when running an app from menu - the variables are exactly the same. What can cause this different behavior? It seems some people experience similar problems with other applications, such as Opera browser etc. They start from terminal but do not start from menu.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast