Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OpenOffice crashes

Default OpenOffice crashes

Heya,

I'm experiencing a crippling crash in OpenOffice, crippling for my project.

I use the OpenOffice navigator to assemble my report. I write each chapter in its own file and then I want to assemble them into 1 file using the navigator in OpenOffice. When I do this openoffice crashes and closes down without warning. I then have to open it again and recover my files. No error messages or anything. File recovery goes smooth.

I'm using OpenOffice v. 3.1.1, OpenSUSE w. KDE4 64 bit.

Best regards,
    Daqar
    Acer TravelMate 7730G Intel C2D P8400, 4GB memory, OpenSUSE 12.3 w. KDE 64bit. 4 year of linux experience, 19 years of Windows experience.

Default Re: OpenOffice crashes

Hello Daqar,

Quote Originally Posted by Daqar
    When I do this openoffice crashes and closes down without warning. I then have to open it again and recover my files. No error messages or anything.
    Does this mean you have tried to run it from terminal?

Quote Originally Posted by Daqar
    I'm using OpenOffice v. 3.1.1, OpenSUSE w. KDE4 64 bit.
    I've never heard of OpenSUSE w.
    I think you've made a typo.
    So could you tell us which version of openSUSE you have?

Good luck!
    Where did I put my coffee cup?
    dir -R /home/* | grep "coffee cup"

Heya,

Initially had not tried with the terminal. I did so now:
    Code:
    jacob@linux-h7fo:~> ooffice
    jacob@linux-h7fo:~> QPixmap: It is not safe to use pixmaps outside the GUI thread
    QPixmap: It is not safe to use pixmaps outside the GUI thread                    
    QPixmap: It is not safe to use pixmaps outside the GUI thread                    
    QPainter::begin: Cannot paint on a null pixmap                                   
    QPainter::save: Painter not active                                               
    QPainter::translate: Painter not active                                          
    QPainter::setPen: Painter not active                                             
    QPainter::setRenderHint: Painter must be active to set rendering hints           
    QPainter::restore: Unbalanced save/restore                                       
    QPainter::setBrush: Painter not active
    X-Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
            Major opcode: 62 (X_CopyArea)
            Resource ID:  0x0
            Serial No:    87190 (87190)
    These errors are reported asynchronously,
    set environment variable SAL_SYNCHRONIZE to 1 to help debugging
    I didn't make a typo as such when writing 'OpenSUSE w.'
    I just forgot to mention it was OpenSUSE 11.2 w. (with) KDE4. I'm sorry for the confusion...

Daqar
    Acer TravelMate 7730G Intel C2D P8400, 4GB memory, OpenSUSE 12.3 w. KDE 64bit. 4 year of linux experience, 19 years of Windows experience.

Hello Daqar,

I've found another thread about this problem.
    Here's the link.

Looking at the third entry he solved the problem by turning of desktop effects.
    So have you desktop effects enabled?
    If so try disabling them and see if it works.

Good luck!
    Where did I put my coffee cup?
    dir -R /home/* | grep "coffee cup"

I tried turning off all desktop effects. It didn't help. I also tried changing the background from slideshow to image, that didn't help either.

I thought maybe I used the OpenOffice navigator wrong. It turns out I do, but the crashes remain. When I try to create a master document I get this error:

Code:
    jacob@linux-h7fo:~> ooffice
    jacob@linux-h7fo:~> #      
    # A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
    #                                                                 
    #  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007fe413987130, pid=7326, tid=140617799399344
    #
    # JRE version: 6.0_19-b04
    # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (16.2-b04 mixed mode linux-amd64 )
    # Problematic frame:
    # C  [libQtGui.so.4+0x4e4130]  _ZNK15QAbstractButton9isCheckedEv+0x0
    #
    # An error report file with more information is saved as:
    # /home/jacob/hs_err_pid7326.log
    #
    # If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
    #   http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
    #

[error occurred during error reporting , id 0xb]
    Daqar

Quote Originally Posted by Daqar View Post
    I tried turning off all desktop effects. It didn't help.
    I don't want to send you on an expedition here, but I gave up on Ooo 3.1 pretty quickly and am running the 3.2 from the build service. If that's too risky, I believe 3.2 also made it into the STABLE build service for OpenOffice. It may save you some headaches.

Btw: are you running OpenJDK or Sun's JVM? For sure try switching to Sun's, if you're not there already.
    Desk: AMD Phenom II X4 945 8GB RAM Radeon HD 3300 Arch Linux Xfce 4.8
    Lap: Intel 2.13GHz Core i3 M330 8GB RAM nVidia GeForce 310M Arch Linux KDE 4.7.3

I changed to Sun's Java recently. Like 7 days ago...I'll try and see if updating OpenOffice helps. Is it easy to do?

Daqar

Quote Originally Posted by Daqar View Post
    I'll try and see if updating OpenOffice helps. Is it easy to do?

Daqar
    In YAST2 - Software Repositories, add the following repo: Index of /repositories/OpenOffice.org:/STABLE/openSUSE_11.2. Call it "OpenOffice.org STABLE".

Then go to YAST2 - Software Management; on the View dropdown, select "Repositores", click on the OpenOffice.org STABLE repo and then at the top of the screen, click on the "Switch system packages" hyperlink. All package versions should switch to blue - click Accept to install.

Again - I have absolutely no indication that this will fix your problem, but at least you're at a more recent version.
    Desk: AMD Phenom II X4 945 8GB RAM Radeon HD 3300 Arch Linux Xfce 4.8
    Lap: Intel 2.13GHz Core i3 M330 8GB RAM nVidia GeForce 310M Arch Linux KDE 4.7.3

Its worth trying. At least all this navigator stuff works on the OpenOffice I have running on my Windows 7 machine. Its a drag if I can only make it work there. But as long as it works on at least one machine I can experiment with making it work on others.

Daqar

Well...Updating OpenOffice seems to have worked.

Thanks for the help guys !!

Daqar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast