Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Problems dual booting Windows 7 and openSUSE

Default Problems dual booting Windows 7 and openSUSE

I just recently installed openSUSE 11.2 onto my old 120GB IDE HDD from my old computer as something to look at and mess around with, with my main "production" computer being a Windows 7 on a 500GB SATA drive and now whenever i turn on the computer brings up the openSUSE boot partition selection thing. Now this wouldnt be a problem for me but as a result if you leave the menu alone when you turn on the computer it will automatically go into SUSE.

However I have a Hauppauge TV tuner card (HVR-2200) that automatically wake up the computer when it is time to record something and I put my Windows 7 computer into hibernate mode over night or leave the Win 7 computer alone for more than an hour (at which point it will go into hibernate mode, because I told it to) when it is time to record something the computer will automatically go into SUSE and it wont have had recorded my TV/movies.

So is there a way (which there probably is) of having the computer when it turns on from hibernate mode automatically go into "windows partition 0" instead of the "openSUSE normal" if the keyboard/mouse hasn't had any input for more than 30 seconds? Then all I will just tell Windows Media Centre to start recording things 1 minutes earlier. This way the computer will be able to record stuff from Windows hibernation mode and if I am at the computer I can just hit enter to hurry it along or go ahead and select "openSUSE".

P.S.: I downloaded EasyBSD but wasn't sure what to select for adding a Linux boot menu item and didn't know if it was the best thing to do so I left it alone. in the mentime im just going to unplug to IDE HDD.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Problems dual booting Windows 7 and openSUSE

Why don't you make windows the default boot in the grub.

Several ways to do that. If this sounds acceptable I will advise?!
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

I would say yes but I will want to revert back the windows boot loader thing instead of the SUSE GRUB (didn't even know it was grub until booting up the windows 7 didn't work with the SUSE HDD unplugged, shows you how much I know about Linux in general here) because I will quite possibly be messing around with SUSE a lot (like completely wiping the HDD and everything and would like something to have if I need to.

So I want to use the windows style thing as the boot loader and I don't know how to do that as I already have the BIOS choose the SATA drive over the IDE.

Blog Entries

So you want the Windows7 bootloader to boot openSUSE? Our valued member swerdna made this:
    Boot Multiboot openSUSE Windows (2000, XP, Vista - any mix) with Windows bootloader.

Don't know whether it's up to date, if it applies to Win7 as well, but it may help you.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

You probably don't have a floppy drive, but my favorite has always been install the bootloader to floppy.

you dont alter your windows or other other bootloaders.

want to go back to windows bootloader? Just eject the floppy.

The equivelant these days would be installing the GRUB bootloader to ausb stick but I have not tried this.

The instructions in that guide by Swerdna kind of make it look like that the GRUB thing is still sitting on the system by just functions as a redirection to the windows bootloader. Also i want everything to still work even if I don't have that HDD that SUSE it currently on. However:

Would unplugging and formatting the openSUSE HDD and putting the Windows 7 repair disk in and sleect "repair windows" make it go bakc to how it was before I put SUSE on n the first place?

And then if I install SUSE without the Windows 7 sata HDD plugged in when it installs and just add SUSE to the thing via a modification via EasyBCD would it just ONLY then add suse to the windows boot loader list.

Or can EasyBCD do all of this for me? Because I am trying that right now.

I just used EasyBCD to add openSUSE to the windows boot manager list but i still get the grub thing beforehand and want to completely get rid of the grub boot loader from my system to be completely sre that anything i can do with the SUSE installation/HDD wont screw anything up (other than only SUSE itself of course).

Anyone got any ideas?

Blog Entries

If you use the windows disk to repair the bootmanager, that will remove grub and yes, it will boot windows normally.
    But your SUSE partitions will still be there unless you delete those from the disk management in windows. Or if you want to keep SUSE you could then use easyBCD
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

When I put the disk in aand did the repair option it still has grub showing up which I then select the windws partition and windows boot manager shows up. Do I have to take out the suse IDE HDD first and then put the disk in? Because when I try to boot without that suse HDD in grub has issues saying it cant find something (I will get the exact details for you this afternoon if you need them).

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast