Thread: How to use GDM instead of KDM?

Hybrid View

Question How to use GDM instead of KDM?

So far I've seen fingerprint authentication works fine with the GDM and I like KDE. Can somebody tell me how to use GDM instead of KDM without installing Gnome Desktop?

Default Re: How to use GDM instead of KDM?

Mmm well I can tell you how potentially you can but I was going to try if I hadn't run out of space in my VM.

Now I checked a distro that has it as standalone the deps...
    Code:
    pam libdmx tcp_wrappers libgnomecanvas librsvg gksu dbus-glib consolekit 'zenity
    Make deps.
    Code:
    'intltool' 'gnome-doc-utils' 'pkgconfig'

Now for Suse OMFG make deps or rather what I needed to install as the make deps
    Code:
    check-devel cvs DeviceKit-power DeviceKit-power-devel evolution-data-server gettext-tools gnome2-user-docs 
      gnome-control-center gnome-desktop gnome-doc-utils gnome-doc-utils-devel gnome-main-menu gnome-menus       
      gnome-menus-branding-openSUSE gnome-panel gnome-panel-devel gnome-patch-translation gnome-settings-daemon  
      gnome-themes intltool iso-codes iso-codes-devel libbeagle1 libcanberra0 libcanberra-devel libcanberra-gtk  
      libcanberra-gtk0 libevoldap-2_4-2 libexempi3 libglade2-devel libgnome-desktop-2-11 libgnomekbd             
      libgnome-menu2 libgnome-window-settings1 libgtop libgtop-2_0-7 libgweather libgweather1 libnotify          
      libnotify1 libpulse-mainloop-glib0 libselinux-devel libsepol1 libsepol-devel libsexy libslab0              
      libunique-1_0-0 libwnck-1-22 libxklavier-devel metacity nautilus notification-daemon pam-devel scrollkeeper 
      sound-theme-freedesktop tango-icon-theme tcpd-devel translation-update-upstream xorg-x11-server-extra       
      yast2-control-center-gnome zenity

Now I really suspect this is a bit of a drag in as the spec just says
    Code:
    BuildRequires:  DeviceKit-power-devel
    BuildRequires:  check-devel
    BuildRequires:  fdupes
    BuildRequires:  gconf2-devel
    BuildRequires:  gnome-doc-utils-devel
    BuildRequires:  gnome-panel-devel
    BuildRequires:  gnome-patch-translation
    BuildRequires:  intltool
    BuildRequires:  iso-codes-devel
    BuildRequires:  libcanberra-devel
    BuildRequires:  libglade2-devel
    BuildRequires:  libselinux-devel
    BuildRequires:  libxklavier-devel
    BuildRequires:  pam-devel
    BuildRequires:  pwdutils
    BuildRequires:  tcpd-devel
    BuildRequires:  translation-update-upstream
    BuildRequires:  update-desktop-files
    BuildRequires:  xorg-x11-server
    BuildRequires:  xorg-x11-server-extra
    BuildRequires:  zenity
    Now the deps
    Code:
    art-sharp2 DeviceKit-power evolution-data-server fifth-leg-font gconf2-branding-openSUSE gconf-sharp2 gdm 
      gdm-branding-openSUSE glade-sharp2 glib-sharp2 gmime-sharp gnome2-user-docs gnome-control-center          
      gnome-desktop gnome-main-menu gnome-menus gnome-menus-branding-openSUSE gnome-panel gnome-panel-sharp     
      gnome-session gnome-settings-daemon gnome-sharp2 gnome-themes gnome-vfs-sharp2 gtk-sharp2 gtkspell        
      iso-codes libbeagle1 libcanberra0 libcanberra-gtk libcanberra-gtk0 libevoldap-2_4-2 libexempi3 libgdiplus0 
      libgmime-2_0-3 libgnome-desktop-2-11 libgnomekbd libgnome-menu2 libgnome-window-settings1 libgtop          
      libgtop-2_0-7 libgweather libgweather1 libnotify libnotify1 libpulse-mainloop-glib0 libsexy libslab0       
      libunique-1_0-0 libwnck-1-22 metacity mono-addins mono-core mono-data mono-data-sqlite mono-nunit mono-web 
      mono-winforms nautilus ndesk-dbus ndesk-dbus-glib notification-daemon sound-theme-freedesktop              
      tango-icon-theme tomboy xorg-x11-server-extra yast2-control-center-gnome zenity
    Again I suspect more drag in as the deps in the spec file
    Code:
    Requires:       %{name}-branding
    Requires:       %{name}-lang = %{version}
    Requires:       ConsoleKit-x11
    Requires:       gnome-session
    Requires:       gnome-themes
    Requires:       klogd
    Requires:       xorg-x11-server-extra
    Now looking at that I suspect it is gnome-session and themes depending on gnome. I was going to try and edit them out and see what happened then. But alas the make depends filled my vm so now I'm reverting the snapshot.

So the theory
    zypper si gdm
    edit /usr/src/packages/SPECS/gdm.spec
    rpmbuild -bb /usr/src/packages/SPECS/gdm.spec
    zypper in /usr/src/packages/RPMS/$ARCH/the_rpm.rpm

Good luck
    Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at Wiki, if all that fails Scroogle!!!!!
    If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it sounds cool.

I'm not sure which packages are required for the fingerprinting stuff but changing the displaymanager could be easy, maybe this one works:

Yast provides an editor for /ect/sysconfig

There you can search for "displaymanager" and
    select/apply the first result and change the value from kde4 to gdm.

Or you do it by hand by editing /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager with an editor (kwrite, ect.)
    Change the line

DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm4"

to

DISPLAYMANAGER="gdm"

and save it.

greetings Kump

JosephKK NNTP User

On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 14:06:02 GMT, anantg <anantg@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
    >So far I've seen fingerprint authentication works fine with the GDM and
    >I like KDE. Can somebody tell me how to use GDM instead of KDM without
    >installing Gnome Desktop?

Well, in my Suse 11.1 KDE3.5 system i use Yast->System->/etc/sysconfig Editor->
    Desktop->display mahager->DISPLAY MANAGER and just set it.