How to use GDM instead of KDM?

So far I’ve seen fingerprint authentication works fine with the GDM and I like KDE. Can somebody tell me how to use GDM instead of KDM without installing Gnome Desktop?

Mmm well I can tell you how potentially you can but I was going to try if I hadn’t run out of space in my VM.

Now I checked a distro that has it as standalone the deps…

pam libdmx tcp_wrappers libgnomecanvas librsvg gksu dbus-glib consolekit 'zenity

Make deps.

'intltool' 'gnome-doc-utils' 'pkgconfig'

Now for Suse OMFG make deps or rather what I needed to install as the make deps

check-devel cvs DeviceKit-power DeviceKit-power-devel evolution-data-server gettext-tools gnome2-user-docs 
  gnome-control-center gnome-desktop gnome-doc-utils gnome-doc-utils-devel gnome-main-menu gnome-menus       
  gnome-menus-branding-openSUSE gnome-panel gnome-panel-devel gnome-patch-translation gnome-settings-daemon  
  gnome-themes intltool iso-codes iso-codes-devel libbeagle1 libcanberra0 libcanberra-devel libcanberra-gtk  
  libcanberra-gtk0 libevoldap-2_4-2 libexempi3 libglade2-devel libgnome-desktop-2-11 libgnomekbd             
  libgnome-menu2 libgnome-window-settings1 libgtop libgtop-2_0-7 libgweather libgweather1 libnotify          
  libnotify1 libpulse-mainloop-glib0 libselinux-devel libsepol1 libsepol-devel libsexy libslab0              
  libunique-1_0-0 libwnck-1-22 libxklavier-devel metacity nautilus notification-daemon pam-devel scrollkeeper 
  sound-theme-freedesktop tango-icon-theme tcpd-devel translation-update-upstream xorg-x11-server-extra       
  yast2-control-center-gnome zenity 

Now I really suspect this is a bit of a drag in as the spec just says

BuildRequires:  DeviceKit-power-devel
BuildRequires:  check-devel
BuildRequires:  fdupes
BuildRequires:  gconf2-devel
BuildRequires:  gnome-doc-utils-devel
BuildRequires:  gnome-panel-devel
BuildRequires:  gnome-patch-translation
BuildRequires:  intltool
BuildRequires:  iso-codes-devel
BuildRequires:  libcanberra-devel
BuildRequires:  libglade2-devel
BuildRequires:  libselinux-devel
BuildRequires:  libxklavier-devel
BuildRequires:  pam-devel
BuildRequires:  pwdutils
BuildRequires:  tcpd-devel
BuildRequires:  translation-update-upstream
BuildRequires:  update-desktop-files
BuildRequires:  xorg-x11-server
BuildRequires:  xorg-x11-server-extra
BuildRequires:  zenity

Now the deps

art-sharp2 DeviceKit-power evolution-data-server fifth-leg-font gconf2-branding-openSUSE gconf-sharp2 gdm 
  gdm-branding-openSUSE glade-sharp2 glib-sharp2 gmime-sharp gnome2-user-docs gnome-control-center          
  gnome-desktop gnome-main-menu gnome-menus gnome-menus-branding-openSUSE gnome-panel gnome-panel-sharp     
  gnome-session gnome-settings-daemon gnome-sharp2 gnome-themes gnome-vfs-sharp2 gtk-sharp2 gtkspell        
  iso-codes libbeagle1 libcanberra0 libcanberra-gtk libcanberra-gtk0 libevoldap-2_4-2 libexempi3 libgdiplus0 
  libgmime-2_0-3 libgnome-desktop-2-11 libgnomekbd libgnome-menu2 libgnome-window-settings1 libgtop          
  libgtop-2_0-7 libgweather libgweather1 libnotify libnotify1 libpulse-mainloop-glib0 libsexy libslab0       
  libunique-1_0-0 libwnck-1-22 metacity mono-addins mono-core mono-data mono-data-sqlite mono-nunit mono-web 
  mono-winforms nautilus ndesk-dbus ndesk-dbus-glib notification-daemon sound-theme-freedesktop              
  tango-icon-theme tomboy xorg-x11-server-extra yast2-control-center-gnome zenity

Again I suspect more drag in as the deps in the spec file

Requires:       %{name}-branding
Requires:       %{name}-lang = %{version}
Requires:       ConsoleKit-x11
Requires:       gnome-session
Requires:       gnome-themes
Requires:       klogd
Requires:       xorg-x11-server-extra

Now looking at that I suspect it is gnome-session and themes depending on gnome. I was going to try and edit them out and see what happened then. But alas the make depends filled my vm so now I’m reverting the snapshot.

So the theory
zypper si gdm
edit /usr/src/packages/SPECS/gdm.spec
rpmbuild -bb /usr/src/packages/SPECS/gdm.spec
zypper in /usr/src/packages/RPMS/$ARCH/the_rpm.rpm

Good luck :wink:

I’m not sure which packages are required for the fingerprinting stuff but changing the displaymanager could be easy, maybe this one works:

Yast provides an editor for /ect/sysconfig

There you can search for “displaymanager” and
select/apply the first result and change the value from kde4 to gdm.

Or you do it by hand by editing /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager with an editor (kwrite, ect.)
Change the line

DISPLAYMANAGER=“kdm4”

to

DISPLAYMANAGER=“gdm”

and save it.

greetings Kump

On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 14:06:02 GMT, anantg <anantg@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
>So far I’ve seen fingerprint authentication works fine with the GDM and
>I like KDE. Can somebody tell me how to use GDM instead of KDM without
>installing Gnome Desktop?

Well, in my Suse 11.1 KDE3.5 system i use Yast->System->/etc/sysconfig Editor->
Desktop->display mahager->DISPLAY MANAGER and just set it.