Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Virtualbox Help?

  1. #1

    Unhappy Virtualbox Help?

    Hello i'm new to openSUSE and was trying to install virtualbox. i got all the prerequisites and virtualbox installed from the site. i open it and try to open a virtual machine i made and i get the error "Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

    The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

    '/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'

    as root. Users of Ubuntu, Fedora or Mandriva should install the DKMS package first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if necessary."

    i tried '/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup' in terminal logged in as root and i get this
    "Stopping VirtualBox kernel module done
    Recompiling VirtualBox kernel module failed
    (Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)"

    any ideas?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,983
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Virtualbox Help?

    Install the Linux Kernel Development Pattern through the software installer. This will install everything needed to compile the kernel module. After that, open a terminal window, issue command below, enter rootpassword when prompted for:
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
    This without asking, my guess is you don't have the kernel-sources or related installed. Let us know how you got on.

    And......welcome to the forums.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,733
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Virtualbox Help?

    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  4. #4

    Default Re: Virtualbox Help?

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Install the Linux Kernel Development Pattern through the software installer. This will install everything needed to compile the kernel module. After that, open a terminal window, issue command below, enter rootpassword when prompted for:
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
    This without asking, my guess is you don't have the kernel-sources or related installed. Let us know how you got on.

    And......welcome to the forums.
    I did install the kernel-sources and related....i got all the prereq.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UTC+10
    Posts
    9,686
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Virtualbox Help?

    Quote Originally Posted by ijijij123 View Post
    (Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)"
    So did you look in /var/log/vbox-install.log?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    GMT-7
    Posts
    382

    Default Re: Virtualbox Help?

    Quote Originally Posted by ijijij123 View Post
    i got all the prerequisites and virtualbox installed from the site.
    Check the log file that is mentioned in the error message. If there's nothing of interest there (or too hard to tell what's going on), just to be sure, execute the following as root:

    Code:
    zypper in kernel-source linux-kernel-headers kernel-syms module-init-tools make gcc
    This will install any required components you will need to run the vboxdrv kernel compile. It's subtle, 'cause I once got stuck on a brand new install where I had forgotten "make" and that threw a really bizarre error for a display driver kernel module.
    Desk: AMD Phenom II X4 945 8GB RAM Radeon HD 3300 Arch Linux Xfce 4.8
    Lap: Intel 2.13GHz Core i3 M330 8GB RAM nVidia GeForce 310M Arch Linux KDE 4.7.3

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •