Thread: Xfce instead of KDE?

Cool Xfce instead of KDE?

To be short and simple... I like KDE4 but too bloated for my laptop... So I installed Xfce and it is awesome so the question is... Is there a way to delete KDE from my machine without accidentally screwing up my entire OS?

Default Re: Xfce instead of KDE?

It's possible, but with dependencies it would be a very tedious task. Unless your hurting for disk space, you are probably be to keep it as it is.

No not hurting at all... actually just did a fresh install of OpenSuse 11.2 updated then put Xfce on it. Is there a way then to stop updating KDE and only update Xfce?

You can lock packages in zypper:

Zypper/Usage/11.2 - openSUSE

Blog Entries

If you are determined to clean things up as much as possible, then re-installation may be an option .

You could re-install openSUSE-11.2 from the DVD and select the Xfce desktop as the desktop option during installation.

Or, if you do not have the DVD, then you could download the Xfce liveCD for openSUSE-11.2 and re-install openSUSE-11.2 from the Xfce liveCD

The LXDE and Xfce packagers have been helping each other out in creating liveCDs for openSUSE, and this is great to see !