Thread: Virtualbox image read only after updating KDE

Default Virtualbox image read only after updating KDE

I am using opensuse 11.2 kde 4.4.2 . I had a working installation of sun virtualbox 3.1 with its virtual image on an ntfs partition before upgrading kde, then I upgraded from KDE 4.3 to 4.4 . now when i start sun virtulabox it gives an error stating that it cant access my hard disk image file due wrong permissions and that the image is read only. i cant create a new image on that partition due same problem but i can create one on my home partition.
    any clues??

Default Re: Virtualbox image read only after updating KDE

That is odd. But since KDE4.4 is still beta not surprising. Maybe you need to report it on the beta board. Also include a ls -l listing of the effected files.

It almost seems like your NTFS partition is no longer mounted as a 3g partition (which provides write-access), but as a readonly version.
    Post the output of:
    Code:
    ~>mount
    Desk: AMD Phenom II X4 945 8GB RAM Radeon HD 3300 Arch Linux Xfce 4.8
    Lap: Intel 2.13GHz Core i3 M330 8GB RAM nVidia GeForce 310M Arch Linux KDE 4.7.3

output of mount

Code:
    @linux-dckw:~> mount
    /dev/sda6 on / type ext4 (rw,acl,user_xattr)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw)
    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
    debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
    udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw)
    devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620,gid=5)
    /dev/sda1 on /windows/C type fuseblk (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096)
    /dev/sda3 on /windows/D type fuseblk (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096)
    /dev/sda4 on /mandriva type ext4 (rw)
    fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
    securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
    /sys/bus/usb/drivers on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,devgid=113,devmode=664)
    rpc_pipefs on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
    gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/adeel-rabia/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=adeel-rabia)

That seems to be OK (which is good news, the last thing you want to see is KDE messing up partitions).

I'm not a Virtualbox expert, but I know that Vbox relies on a security group called "vboxusers"; is the user ID you're using to launch the VM a member of that group?

Another thing to check would be the file permissions on the .vdi file - do you still have write-access to the .vdi file?
    Lap: Intel 2.13GHz Core i3 M330 8GB RAM nVidia GeForce 310M Arch Linux KDE 4.7.3

I'm not a Virtualbox expert, but I know that Vbox relies on a security group called "vboxusers"; is the user ID you're using to launch the VM a member of that group?
    yes .i double checked it, settings are ok

Another thing to check would be the file permissions on the .vdi file - do you still have write-access to the .vdi file?
    it shows only root has rw access. users have read only access.konqueror cant show these permissions as it hangs. i have to use nautilus .

Quote Originally Posted by adeeljaved View Post
    it shows only root has rw access. users have read only access.konqueror cant show these permissions as it hangs. i have to use nautilus .
    Well, that would certainly explain why VBox complains about things being "read-only". On my system, the .vdi files are rw for my userid, not root. Ownership:group is <myuserid>:users.

Assuming that you are not running VBox as root (which would be an entirely different discussion), try changing the ownership to yourself.

The VM files are on a NTFS I think.

You need to give permission in the fstab. NTFS has no idea about Linux permissions.

Show
    cat /etc/fstab

then we can tell you what to change