Thread: netbook, 1 minor, 1 major annoyance 11.2

Default netbook, 1 minor, 1 major annoyance 11.2

I've had a go with a netbook and 11.2. Installed ok and X configured KDE desktop with default 1024x600.

Minor.
    Most apps on running fit between top and panel but then you run their menu item like 'settings' or 'prefs' and its window size is coming up >600 in height. Some allow a scrollbar on the right but for those not, the result is not seeing the 'ok, apply, cancel' buttons.

I did find that changing certain font sizes under System Settings both up and down and re-logging in sorted that for most.

If you click the top-left icon on a window you get to the special window settings and can see and change the geometry.

However, for some that didn't respond to the font change above and seem to be hardcoded geometry-wise for a 1024x768 minimum, the result is a "squashed" window. Certain button options seen in the normal window are not there or the items are overlayed on each other.

Specific is Okteta the hex editor.

Major.
    I don't use a wheelscroll mouse on other pcs. This netbook has a trackpad with the rightside 7mm or so having a scroll facility. In editor or Firefox running a fingertip on it will scroll the pages which is nice instead of looking and clicking in the scrollbar.

What is NOT nice, I found, is that if the cursor arrow is over a desktop patch and my finger hits that 7mm part of the trackpad when I want to move the arrow, it results in switching between desktops. I wondered what the hell happened when the apps and console I had up disappeared then reappeared then....

OK this is the wonderful KDE4 where you can do anything and customise as you like. Well no, not about this. Funnily enough it shows up in the KDE handbook help about being an option in the desktop numbers section but of course isn't there. A fallback entry from previous help version it seems.

I've seen, and have some to make of, the general KDE4 crits but this one's a real WTF.

So desk users with a wheelmouse doing some critical reading of some file or webpage could have that rudely interrupted just because their hand moves inadvertently?

OK, maybe I should direct at KDE people, but is this fixable in the supplied 11.2 KDE4 or later KDE4.x ?

Blog Entries

Default Re: netbook, 1 minor, 1 major annoyance 11.2

Quote Originally Posted by skoco
    I've had a go with a netbook and 11.2. Installed ok and X configured KDE
    desktop with default 1024x600.

Minor.
    Most apps on running fit between top and panel but then you run their
    menu item like 'settings' or 'prefs' and its window size is coming up
    >600 in height. Some allow a scrollbar on the right but for those not,

the result is not seeing the 'ok, apply, cancel' buttons.
    Hi
    Just check the xdpyinfo and adjust the dpi value via the settings (In
    Gnome it's the appearance in control center);
    Code:
    xdpyinfo |grep resol
    Also check the display settings and select the 1024x600 resolution and
    apply. If you press the alt key and select the window with a mouse left
    click you can then move it.

I believe in 11.3 the KDE4 version has a netbook friendly interface
    installable.

--
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)