Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [suse 11.1 -- kde issue] messed up after update

Default [suse 11.1 -- kde issue] messed up after update

Greetings !!

How can I restore kde ?
    I tried to update kde and now I have lost all the settings I previously had. I tried to rename the root folder to oldroot and then restart to have the system create a new root folder inspired by the skeleton folder but kde is still not working as expected... all the suse related stuff are gone (splash screen, login screen, ...).

Is there a way to relaunch kde as it was installed for the first time ? I can manage the following stuff to link up all the 3rd party applications to be functionnal.

Thank you !

Default Re: [suse 11.1 -- kde issue] messed up after update

I will try to rename the kde4 folder first and then if this is not working as expected I give you news...

You really need to give a bit more information about the update you tried to do.

If you have a backup of /home, it should have your old kde settings in it and you could compare the changes that have been made and selectively restore those you want. I don't recommend simply copying over you old kde files.

Quote Originally Posted by soundlord View Post
    Greetings !!

How can I restore kde ?
    I tried to update kde and now I have lost all the settings I previously had. I tried to rename the root folder to oldroot and then restart to have the system create a new root folder inspired by the skeleton folder but kde is still not working as expected... all the suse related stuff are gone (splash screen, login screen, ...).

Is there a way to relaunch kde as it was installed for the first time ? I can manage the following stuff to link up all the 3rd party applications to be functionnal.

Thank you !
    What do you mean by "the root folder". I hope not the directory /, because that would cripple you system beyond recocnition.

When you as a user move ~/.kde4 to another name, KDE will create a fresh one with default values. Do this move while you are not loged in using KDE (this would remove the ground under KDE). Thus use Ctrl-Alt-F1 to go to logical console 1. Log in there with the user (not root), and do
    Code:
    mv .kde4 .kde4-saved
    Type
    Code:
    exit
    to log out and do Ctrl-Alt-F7 to get back to the GUI login.

This for a complete going back to the defaults. john_hudson's advice to walk through the differences with you last backup before the problem occured, is of course less rigorous.
    Henk van Velden

Ok, I'll try this...

Of course I won't rename other folder than the "root" folder as I use to connect to my system. I don't like things like sudo commands, I take the whole responsabilities using root user login ^^

I thought also change the run-level to 3 from 5, but yes, I can switch to terminal session to do what is required to reset kde4 settings.

Something strange, when looking at the hostname that I choosed to display at the konsole prompt it changed to "record" instead of the hostname I used that must be "antares" (???)

thank you

So you are running the GUI as root? This is a bad idea for many many reasons. Not even touching on security risks, you can simple mess your system up by browsing the files. This could be the reason you are seeing problems.

Quote Originally Posted by soundlord View Post
    I don't like things like sudo commands, I take the whole responsabilities using root user login ^^
    By far a MUCH safer and middle-ground solution is to use the "su" command, which keeps your terminal session as "root", so you can keep on issuing root-level commands without having to log in to your system as root, which will do very bad things in very short order.
    Desk: AMD Phenom II X4 945 8GB RAM Radeon HD 3300 Arch Linux Xfce 4.8
    Lap: Intel 2.13GHz Core i3 M330 8GB RAM nVidia GeForce 310M Arch Linux KDE 4.7.3

Quote Originally Posted by twelveeighty View Post
    By far a MUCH safer and middle-ground solution is to use the "su" command, which keeps your terminal session as "root", so you can keep on issuing root-level commands without having to log in to your system as root, which will do very bad things in very short order.
    Please when using the su commad, use it with -, thus:
    Code:
    su -
    And all about it: SDB:Login as root - openSUSE.
    Henk van Velden

Linux is fun as root lol

Anyway, you are probably right, even if is the really first time I get such an issue since I first used linux in 1998 !!

At this time I tried to install KDE 4.4.2 it is the same behaviour: the system menu (kde menu) is messed up, impossible to select correctly the items, sometimes there is no system menu on windows...

At this point I wonder if it wasn't better to reinstall or repair the whole system from the install dvd.

I have no other idea to solve the issue... but running the system in level 3 lol.

The only things annoying me is that I used several third party applications but I don't want to reinstall them... but I fear that I would be forced to suffer it...

That's the game and I accepted the rules :!

Did you try hcw's suggestion of moving out your ~/.kde4 folder and have KDE create a new one?
    Desk: AMD Phenom II X4 945 8GB RAM Radeon HD 3300 Arch Linux Xfce 4.8
    Lap: Intel 2.13GHz Core i3 M330 8GB RAM nVidia GeForce 310M Arch Linux KDE 4.7.3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast