Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: virtualbox version ?

Hybrid View

Default virtualbox version ?

Hi, I am confused by different virtualbox versions available. My goal is to install VB on laptop with windows guest, because standard apps for nokia GSM is not working over bluetooth because nokia type (5230) with symbian OSv5 is not supported yet, and I hope to have a workaround using VB, which is kind of silly for just one application, but I don't see another option.

I read that OSE version does not have USB, so I have to pick another. I found an rpm-AMD64 version on VB wiki (VirtualBox - VirtualBox). And there would also be Sun's version.

So I need some help in picking the correct version for my purpose before starting installing ... so my goal is USB+bluetooth+windows7orvista guest. I have opensuse 11.2 with latest kernel and 64-bit CPU. Network card is nvidia 9600 GM

Default Re: virtualbox version ?

openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) with Kernel 3.7.10-1.16-desktop and KDE 4.11.2 on MacBook Pro
    Latest MS Windows version used: Win95

Ok, this one probably IS the sun PUEL version, I thought there were 3: OSE, this one and Sun's
    Thanks

With each update of either of the kernel or Virtualbox, you need to recompile the Virtualbox kernel module. It was fine for me back on Ubuntu when dkms handled it all but it just seems too much bother now.

Virtualbox Kernel Module - openSUSE Forums

You might consider VMWarePlayer. Supports USB2 I hear.

Quote Originally Posted by adam-red View Post
    With each update of either of the kernel or Virtualbox, you need to recompile the Virtualbox kernel module. It was fine for me back on Ubuntu when dkms handled it all but it just seems too much bother now.

Virtualbox Kernel Module - openSUSE Forums

You might consider VMWarePlayer. Supports USB2 I hear.
    Recompiling the VB kernel module is a trivial task.
    P5N-E SLI, Core2Duo E6850 @ 3GHZ, 2 GB DDR2 800MHZ
    EVGA 8800GTS 320MB, 2x320GB HDD
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

So what is the procedure then to do this ?

In a terminal run

Code:
     /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
    P5N-E SLI, Core2Duo E6850 @ 3GHZ, 2 GB DDR2 800MHZ
    EVGA 8800GTS 320MB, 2x320GB HDD
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

Actually, when you install it, it will automatically recompile the kernel module if needed. It may fail only if the necessary kernel headers are not installed.
    openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) with Kernel 3.7.10-1.16-desktop and KDE 4.11.2 on MacBook Pro

that's not so good because then it can break kernel versions, i.e. keep same versions for headers, syms, kernel etc. ? I don't know, it's just my question.

kernel headers won't change within the same major version (and openSUSE updates do not bring in major kernel version changes).
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
    However, this command is handy whenever some incompatible change in the kernel happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast