virtualbox version ?

Hi, I am confused by different virtualbox versions available. My goal is to install VB on laptop with windows guest, because standard apps for nokia GSM is not working over bluetooth because nokia type (5230) with symbian OSv5 is not supported yet, and I hope to have a workaround using VB, which is kind of silly for just one application, but I don’t see another option.

I read that OSE version does not have USB, so I have to pick another. I found an rpm-AMD64 version on VB wiki (VirtualBox - VirtualBox). And there would also be Sun’s version.

So I need some help in picking the correct version for my purpose before starting installing … so my goal is USB+bluetooth+windows7orvista guest. I have opensuse 11.2 with latest kernel and 64-bit CPU. Network card is nvidia 9600 GM

http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/3.1.6/VirtualBox-3.1-3.1.6_59338_sles11.0-1.x86_64.rpm

Ok, this one probably IS the sun PUEL version, I thought there were 3: OSE, this one and Sun’s
Thanks

With each update of either of the kernel or Virtualbox, you need to recompile the Virtualbox kernel module. It was fine for me back on Ubuntu when dkms handled it all but it just seems too much bother now.

Virtualbox Kernel Module - openSUSE Forums

You might consider VMWarePlayer. Supports USB2 I hear.

Recompiling the VB kernel module is a trivial task.

So what is the procedure then to do this ?

In a terminal run

/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

Actually, when you install it, it will automatically recompile the kernel module if needed. It may fail only if the necessary kernel headers are not installed.

that’s not so good because then it can break kernel versions, i.e. keep same versions for headers, syms, kernel etc. ? I don’t know, it’s just my question.

kernel headers won’t change within the same major version (and openSUSE updates do not bring in major kernel version changes).

/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

However, this command is handy whenever some incompatible change in the kernel happens.

If you installed the kernel and source/headers via Yast/zypper then a kernel update will automatically update the source/headers. So unless you are going totally outside normal install procedures this is not a problem.

which virtualbox version would be best for administrative software, ACT, excell, Word, etc. things like that… I know wine is best for gaming, thanks in advance

-cheers

Always go for the latest from the virtualbox.org site. There are minor enhancements in all releases.

Ok maybe a miss understanding abut VM’s

A VM is just a virtual machine you must install the OS into the VM. So you install your favorite version of the OS. So you must have a licensed copy to install. In my case I bought a OEM XP disk. But I could install 7 or Ubuntu or ReadHat etc. even shudder shake VISTA. What a VM does is give your a second third or more machine that runs inside you actual metal. You still must install an OS.

:wink:

so, that means that I would have to install XP (yes i have a legal copy), install the VM, and than re-install opensuse 11.2? I’m sorry, but now I feel even more lost…

…please show mercy

confused

-cheers

No no no. LOL

Install the VM in Linux then install XP in the VM.

It is pretty straight forward once you have the VirtualBox VM installed and running.
once started

1. create a VM assign how much memory the VM is to use and how big of a Virtual hard drive you want.
  2. install the OS just put the CD in
  3. install the Addon drivers Not strictly requires but highly recommended.

Done

The Vbox manual is very good and comes with the install.

gogalthorp-

makes more sense LOL. Now, is there a certain partition that I need to allocate space for the virtual hard drive? I can only assume that I need to allocate space for not only programs but for XP itself…correct?

After I install XP, would it still be possible to use a win7 ultimate upgrade?

This sounds a lot better than wine…does VM work well with games too, or shall I leave wine for games (not that I play them lately, but learning, so I wanna know), and VM for business software/applications…?

thanks

-cheers

The disk of the guest OS is simulated using a file on the host OS. Choose the size adequately because it will be difficult to enlarge the “disk” later.

As far as the guest OS goes, it thinks it’s running in a real machine, except that the hardware is virtual. So it would be able to do all the things a real guest OS does, including being upgraded (but check for W7 compatibility with VBox first), catching a virus, crashing, causing consternation in users, and so forth.

However there are some facilities of a virtual machine that you can avail yourself of, such as taking snapshots so that you can return to a previous state (pre-virus, pre-software upgrade that made your (virtual) OS go pear-shaped).

Depends on the game, 3D acceleration is not great in a VM.

You will need to allocate space I forget where the default is but you can tell the Vbox where to put the files that hold the Vdrive. Personally I have a separate partition for my VMs, but I planned on that before I installed the OS.