Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repositories

Default Repositories

- Is there any certain repositories that one should set up when installing a clean opensuse 11.2? To the best of my knowledge everything is pretty much good to go, w/ the exception of packman, which I really should get set up. Do i have this right?

Thanks in advance,

-cheers

Blog Entries

Default Re: Repositories

Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

The perceived wisdom among experienced Suse users is the fewer repo's the better. It's recommended that only OSS, Non-OSS, Updates & Packman are enabled. Anything else you need like the Nvidia driver for example you should enable the repo', install what you need and then disable or remove it. This should provide optimum stability and longevity.

Samsung RV510 + openSUSE 12.1 64bit + KDE 4.7.2

okay, you just open a whole world of question, can you retort? :-)

-cheers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by subcook69420 View Post
    okay, you just open a whole world of question, can you retort? :-)
    -cheers
    How do you mean, a whole world of questions?
    Leap 15.1_KDE

"this should provided optimum stability and longevity". Why, How, Etc. Is it because its just another backround process to update? .....

...why wouldn't I do that w/ Packman?

-cheers

Blog Entries

Just to clarify, all you should need is:
    oss, non-oss, update, packman

Possibly a video driver repo (or manually install it)
    Leap 15.1_KDE

"this should provided optimum stability and longevity". Why, How, Etc. Is it because its just another backround process to update? .....

...why wouldn't I do that w/ Packman?

-cheers
    Too many repos can give you conflicting packages, wrong supplier of certain packages, etc. There is no background process by added a repo until you run an update. It's just plain 'cleaner' and more stable to use the recommended repo's listed above.
    Cheers, Big Ears!

DΞLL Precision M6500: i7-820QM w/USB 3.0, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, Intel x-25M 160 G2 + 500GB 7200.3, nVidia Quadro FX 3800M 1.0GB DDR3, RGBLED, Intel 6300//Win7Pro x64
    DΞLL Vostro 1220 //openSUSE 11.3 KDE/Win7Pro 32

okay,

I have just successfully integrated packman as a repo, and installed a several things via the command line.

1. exactly what is packman, why does everyone recommend i get it, and is it specifically for playing media? I have what I need, should I delte it now, from what I hear that answer would be , no. but why do I need it, shall I pay attention to it at any given time? I'm very lost with the whole repo topic, please understand.

2. What is "zypper"? i know its obviously a utility for linux, guessing for any distro/flavor, but would I be wrong in always using it as a downloading utility? I ended up installing everything that I did through the CL. Basically read it off of a link, earlier provided on this thread". i mean, yeah its great that I did it, but what is it worth if I don't know what/how/etc it worked. What is zypper, what does it mean, and what does the "in' part mean, (i.e, the command is [ zypper in .....] )

as always, thanks in advance, and please show mercy, I'm new :-)

-cheers

Blog Entries

okay,

I have just successfully integrated packman as a repo, and installed a several things via the command line.

1. exactly what is packman, why does everyone recommend i get it, and is it specifically for playing media? I have what I need, should I delte it now, from what I hear that answer would be , no. but why do I need it, shall I pay attention to it at any given time? I'm very lost with the whole repo topic, please understand.

2. What is "zypper"? i know its obviously a utility for linux, guessing for any distro/flavor, but would I be wrong in always using it as a downloading utility? I ended up installing everything that I did through the CL. Basically read it off of a link, earlier provided on this thread". i mean, yeah its great that I did it, but what is it worth if I don't know what/how/etc it worked. What is zypper, what does it mean, and what does the "in' part mean, (i.e, the command is [ zypper in .....] )

as always, thanks in advance, and please show mercy, I'm new :-)

-cheers
    1. Packman : Supplies particularly multimedia packages for openSUSE and some other distros
    No need to remove it, why disadvantage yourself

2. zypper: Is a package management utility.
    Zypper/Usage/11.2 - openSUSE
    or man:zypper in konqueror
    Leap 15.1_KDE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast