Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Repositories

Default Re: Repositories

Packman supplies proprietary codecs and other non crippled libraries. Also some games and other programs that might not be in OpenSuse. Some Multimedia schemes are covered by patents or other IP considerations. These by definition are not totally open source and Novell has made the judgment (purely legal) to not supply them with the OS. So libraries that might use such IP encumbered codecs are ofter compiled without those codecs, like mp3. Thus the need for packman if you want to play mp3 files.

If you don't like the command line you can use Yast-Sotware Management to manage your software graphically. Yast uses zypper as a back end so you still use zypper just indirectly via a GUI

well,

I don't mind the CL, I intend on sticking w/ it....

Thanks for the assistance everyone!

-cheers

So,

i should get rid of my Wine repo too?

I know wine updates pretty frequently, maybe even as often as weekly....isn't that a reason to keep it?

-cheers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by subcook69420 View Post
    So,

i should get rid of my Wine repo too?

I know wine updates pretty frequently, maybe even as often as weekly....isn't that a reason to keep it?

-cheers
    No need to dump it really.
    Did we ever see your list

Code:
    zypper lr -d
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Here is the thing that people seem to have a hard time understanding about repositories. A repository is just a directory on some server some where with a couple of extra files to define the REPOSITORY. Now a repository may only have one package in it or maybe a couple of related packages and libraries. No problem with these. Some may however have libraries that may conflict with the base Suse install. Like the factory repo which has the cutting edge try at you own risk stuff. These you definitely do not want even by accident to have active if you expect to have a stable OS. If you are testing the betas great have at it but be warned that these programs may not be stable. Now to makew matters worse, people move to a beta repo and leave the base repo's active. Now you have a really unstable mix of packages.

If you need a package from a beta or other repo that may supply fundamental packages to fix a problem fine, just turn the repo off after you get the package.

Never mix never worry.

# | Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type | URI | Service
    --+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+---------+---------+----------+--------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+--------
    1 | ftp.skynet.be-suse | Packman Repository | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /pub/packman/suse/11.2 |
    2 | Index of /repositories/Education/openSUSE_11.2 | Index of /repositories/Education/openSUSE_11.2 | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/Education/openSUSE_11.2 |
    3 | Index of /repositories/Emulators:/Wine/openSUSE_11.2 | Index of /repositories/Emulators:/Wine/openSUSE_11.2 | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/Emulators:/Wine/openSUSE_11.2 |
    4 | openSUSE 11.2-0 | openSUSE 11.2-0 | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | cd:/// |
    5 | repo-debug | openSUSE-11.2-Debug | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /debug/distribution/11.2/repo/oss |
    6 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.2-Non-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.2/repo/non-oss |
    7 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.2-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.2/repo/oss |
    8 | repo-source | openSUSE-11.2-Source | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /source/distribution/11.2/repo/oss |
    9 | repo-update | openSUSE-11.2-Update | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.2 |

this is the result of typing zypper lr -d.

thanks guys

-cheers

Personally I'd turn 3,5 and 8 off.(disable) Prorbalt nothing to hurt you but you really don't need them active all the time.

Not sure about the Education repo. If you use a bunch of education software I guess it is OK. Never looked to see what it supplies.

You can do it in Yast by select repository tab and selecting the repo in the list. Yast will just show you the packages just from that repo. If you see lots of red or blue in the list maybe there could be some conflicts with the base 11.2 install.

Also do you have a NVIDIA or ATI card if so maybe you might want their repo. If Intel you are fine.

Blog Entries

I think you will find both Education and Wine repos both have 'wine'
    Education though has many other apps
    So @gogalthorp suggests disable: 3,5,8 but I would say 3,4,5,8 and use wine from education.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12