Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best KDE 4 Application in Your Opinion?

Blog Entries

Question Best KDE 4 Application in Your Opinion?

So now that many of us are using the KDE 4 desktop for the first time, what application that runs under KDE 4, is the most useful program that you use? I would like to exclude Web Browsers, like Firefox (which is Very Useful indeed) and OpenOffice, both of which are great programs not directly written to work with just KDE 4.

As I value your opinion very much, please do not feel limited with your response and say what you wish.

It seems like I spend a lot of time getting openSUSE and KDE working just right with all multimedia working properly and never get out and find out just what else could be done under openSUSE and KDE 4. In my efforts to find that one great application I have never used before, I would ask the following information for the application you would recommend.

1. Name Of Application (include the filename if different)
    2. What does the program propose to do? What is it purpose?
    3. How do you use the program and why is it so good?
    4. How can we load this application on our copy of KDE, if not already included by default? Include the software repository when required.
    5. What version of KDE are you using and do you know if it will work under 4.3.5 which I am using.

Thank you for all of your suggestions in advance!
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: Best KDE 4 Application in Your Opinion?

You may have put your post here because you missed the "Surveys/Polls" forum in the Community section futher down the list of forums. Suggest you ask for it to be moved there, by sending a PM to a moderator. Since this is a help forum, you may not get so many responses here.

James, I think there is a way to use openSUSE Forums to create a survey, but at any rate, I have to say as a former GNOME user, I am really impressed with KMail + KOrganizer so far, but I don't know if that was changed significantly from KDE 3, since I didn't use KDE 3.

Then again, I don't know if you're counting "built-in" apps like this in your survey.
    Desk: AMD Phenom II X4 945 8GB RAM Radeon HD 3300 Arch Linux Xfce 4.8
    Lap: Intel 2.13GHz Core i3 M330 8GB RAM nVidia GeForce 310M Arch Linux KDE 4.7.3

Blog Entries

Red face Re: Best KDE 4 Application in Your Opinion?

I take all suggestions about KDE applications.

Further, if this thread should be a survey type thread, I am not sure how you would create such a thing here in the openSUSE forums. But send me in the right direction and I will give it a try. Since this is the Application section, it might be OK here to ask such a question.

As for KMAIL, I have been using Thunderbird, but I do think it was present with KDE 3. Have you compared it to any other mailing programs and why is it so good for you?

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    Further, if this thread should be a survey type thread, I am not sure how you would create such a thing here in the openSUSE forums. But send me in the right direction and I will give it a try. Since this is the Application section, it might be OK here to ask such a question...
    Some members just start a thread like yours in the Survey forum. Did you PM a moderator to move it, or do you need help with that?

Have you compared it to any other mailing programs and why is it so good for you?
    Yes, I have. I am one of those geeks that actually works exclusively on an openSUSE laptop for his business, so email is probably the #1 critical app for me (no email, no money). I started out by using Thunderbird a couple of years ago and found that it was too cumbersome to integrate the calendar, tasks, etc. as well as archiving email (I have a LOT of email). Now - that was a number of years ago, so that may have improved since.

I then switched to Evolution, which is a good program, actually. I was running on openSUSE 11.1 with GNOME. When I switched to 11.2 with KDE, "they" completely messed up the icons in Evolution so I started looking for alternatives.

KMail has done a great job with their "thread-style" message lists (all emails in a thread show as one) and what I really like is that I can create a "to-do" in my calendar directly from an email with a simple right-click.

Also, it turned out that to switch from Evolution to KMail was a breeze: all my archived email moved over, as well as my contacts, etc.
    I also found that the Google Calendar integration with KOrganizer is much better and stable than Evolution's, which is how I can sync my calendar between laptop and Blackberry.

One downside of KMail is their "religious" approach to bottom-posting, so I have to scroll to the top of an email every time I want to start typing my reply. A simple option to switch that would be nice, especially since there is already an option to put the signature at the top. [top posting is the way it works in business emails, let's just succumb to that]

Sorry - it's a long post, but like I said, email is the #1 priority for my laptop.
    Desk: AMD Phenom II X4 945 8GB RAM Radeon HD 3300 Arch Linux Xfce 4.8
    Lap: Intel 2.13GHz Core i3 M330 8GB RAM nVidia GeForce 310M Arch Linux KDE 4.7.3

Blog Entries

So now that many of us are using the KDE 4 desktop for the first time, what application that runs under KDE 4, is the most useful program that you use? I would like to exclude Web Browsers, like Firefox (which is Very Useful indeed) and OpenOffice, both of which are great programs not directly written to work with just KDE 4.

As I value your opinion very much, please do not feel limited with your response and say what you wish.

It seems like I spend a lot of time getting openSUSE and KDE working just right with all multimedia working properly and never get out and find out just what else could be done under openSUSE and KDE 4. In my efforts to find that one great application I have never used before, I would ask the following information for the application you would recommend.

4. How can we load this application on our copy of KDE, if not already included by default? Include the software repository when required.
    5. What version of KDE are you using and do you know if it will work under 4.3.5 which I am using.

I'm going to move this thread to Surveys/Polls - openSUSE Forums in the next 15 to 30 minutes.

NNTP users, I request you do not respond to this thread/post until after it has been moved.

Blog Entries

I moved this thread to SURVEYS / POLLS.

NTTP users, please feel free to post in reply to this thread here now.

1. Kate
    2. Editor
    3. It has the right amount of features , for editing text and source. It is customizable. Comes with lots of predefined syntax highlighting files, plus you can write your own fairly easily. I wrote one for Asciidoc. It has one problem in KDE 4, it occasionally loses which plugins are installed, and the tab bar settings. But I think this mostly occurs if Kate is left open when the user logs off, so close Kate before logging off. The current version has a Vi input mode, so skills are transferable. I installed Kate even on Gnome rather than use gedit It is currently my favor GUI editor, and has been for awhile.
    4. In repository
    5. KDE 4.3.5

My traditional favorites have always been Amarok, K3b and Ktorrent....If you want to call Daisy Dock an app, that is on my short list too now.
    Cheers, Big Ears!

DΞLL Precision M6500: i7-820QM w/USB 3.0, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, Intel x-25M 160 G2 + 500GB 7200.3, nVidia Quadro FX 3800M 1.0GB DDR3, RGBLED, Intel 6300//Win7Pro x64
    DΞLL Vostro 1220 //openSUSE 11.3 KDE/Win7Pro 32

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast