WINE

i want to run wine on opensuse11.2 but im having a hard time. Help plz

compile sources:
tools/makeinstall

for remove:
make uninstall
from the source dir

let me correct my self i dont have wine downloaded yet. where do i get it how do i run the install?

Would not recommend compiling Wine yourself if there is no specific reasons to do so. Just install it from the main repository.

But read this: NEW Users - Suse-11.2 Pre-installation – PLEASE READ - openSUSE Forums

I suppose you have Wine installed?

Type from Konsole: winefile

This should launch the winbrowser and create the windows directory in your home folder (/home/yourname/.wine)

You can adjust some configuration for Wine by typing:
winecfg

Cheers,
Olav

Sorry, I didn’t see your last post but I recommend reading the link I gave you in any case, it contains usefull information if you are new to OpenSuSE.

Wine is available from the OSS repository, so simply running

sudo zypper in wine

in a konsole window, should download and install Wine for you.

Alternatively, if you want to use bleeding edge Wine, you can try the Wine CVS builds from the openSUSE build service. You can find that here: http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Emulators:/Wine/openSUSE_11.2/
I’m running the latter myself and it works fine.

joopberis wrote:

>
> Wine is available from the OSS repository, so simply running
>
> Code:
> --------------------
> sudo zypper in wine
> --------------------
>
> in a konsole window, should download and install Wine for you.
>
> Alternatively, if you want to use bleeding edge Wine, you can try the
> Wine CVS builds from the openSUSE build service. You can find that here:
> http://tinyurl.com/yhjp8nn
> I’m running the latter myself and it works fine.

I had some problems with wine from OSS after the latest round of 11.1
updates and grabbed the 1.1.9.1 version from the update repo then the
1.1.41 from the build service. The latter got me back in business where
the 1.1.9 had some real issues.

Will Honea

thanks i put in sudo zypper in wine in the terminal and it said it installed but now i cant find where to run wine from can anyone help?

Wine is not a GUI program ie it has no direct GUI user interface thus is not in any of the menus.

Type winecfg in a console to set it up. This will create a hidden.wine directory in your home user directory. In that there will be a C directory which pretends to be the C: drive for the pretend Windows.

To run a Windows program you would at least type wine programname.exe

Right-click on the .exe file you want to run and choose open with other… and just type in wine. If all goes well with the installation, the programme will most likely be found in the kde menu, so you launch it from there.

thanks so much i got it to work and now im the the smart guy in my computer class. im majoring in computer networking.