Thread: Hiding and showing HDD partitians

Default Hiding and showing HDD partitians

Hello.
    I haven't had Suse on my machine for a long time and am about to create a dual boot system. Suse 11.1 will be sharing XP Pro SP3. It's on an Acer Netbook 160GB / 2GB

I have a partition which contains personal secrets and must remain hidden from prying eyes. I've been using Windows command prompt and the dishpart function to remove and assign said partition. (Mount/Unmount). The partition is effectively hidden from Windows and doesn't appear anywhere and can't be searched.

Yes I know it can easily be found by those who are more technical-oriented but it's effectively hidden from those individuals who are nosey.

I've "messed" with Suse quite a few times before, each for a relatively short time getting a little use to the GUI yet still consider myself a novice. I've done a few things in Suse console before but am not extremely familiar or comfortable in it.

So I'd like to install 11.1 again for a dual boot.
    I've freed up 15 gigs of unallocated disk space for Suse. I am planning to have that secret partition assigned and volume made active during Suse install. I'm not sure how Suse install handles unassigned NTFS HDD volumes- whether it's removed or not.

How can I hide and show partitions once Suse is installed?

Default Re: Hiding and showing HDD partitians

Use
    fdisk -l
    (e.g. from an live CD or a install CD in repair mode) and you see the partitions. AFAIK there is no hiding possibility in the partition table. Thus this hiding must be an MS windows trick. I know of no trick to let fdisk not show a partition.
    Henk van Velden

Default Re: Hiding and showing HDD partitians

Alternatively, why don't you go for something that's really secure and lets you access the partition from both Windows and Linux? You could use the program TrueCrypt to create a hidden, encrypted partition, formatted with a filesystem of your choice, that no one can read unless they know the passphrase.

Or just go for a regular encrypted partition, that, while visible, is unreadable to anyone without the passphrase.

For more info, please see here: TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux

I have been using TrueCrypt myself for quite a while and it works like a charm.