>> no, i'm saying i saw an answer (actually several by one person) and
    >> wanted to unRep by one...

>
    > Exactly the kind of kindergarten behaviour

my dear young friend..

i was reading/writing in nntp and therefore couldn't see pixels too
    green or not...what i saw was a person driving up post count while
    giving bad or no advice--all the while asking for folks to give rep
    points, in (as far as i recall) a thread you hadn't visited...

so i logged onto the forum to award an unRep..

now, if you think that was a kindergarten action you are welcome to
    think that...but you should only THINK it...when you decide to
    characterize my behavior as child like, then you have crossed my line
    in the sand!

when you do that, you should always expect me to confront about your
    often displayed inappropriate behavior of chiding and taunting me
    here...for what purpose i do not know..

Sir, it is NOT your task here to try to force me to abide by your idea
    of appropriate behavior...so, i say again: bug off...find someone else
    to try to train....i can point you to lots of folks i worked for, or
    who worked for me that would tell you in a heartbeat i am untrainable.

so, please cease tilting at _this_ windmill..

--
    palladium

Default Re: member reputation

Folks,

please
    a) remain calm, polite and friendly.
    b) feel free to discuss features; we value your input. But please don't abuse what's in place.
    Thank you

Uwe

palladium, you confuse me quite a bit. I didn't mean to attack you, I am referring to the topic here, that's all. What do I care whether you are "trainable" or not? I don't have any purpose when commenting your posts, I care only for the topic. Seriously. No need for "Sir" or "my dear young friend", okay? I will write what comes to my mind anyway, and so will you. So c'mon...

I wrote a bit more than the word "kindergarten" - my mayor point is that reputation systems as used here will not prevent bad posts being posted (and can be easily manipulated anyway). Nothing will prevent that, but comments might provide a different viewpoint on a certain problem or topic. I find that being much more effective, I also doubt the majority of users here even care for those green thingies anyway.

Relax, man.

Quote Originally Posted by gropiuskalle View Post
    I also doubt the majority of users here even care for those green thingies anyway.
    Correct. It took me at least a year before I remotely understood what they are for.

When someone thinks I helped him out of troubles and he posts: "Thank you", I am happy. When he by accident knows about the green pixels, clicks on it and adds the comment "Thank you", I am happy also. But for me the whole rep system may go.

And or the threads wher the blind helps the blind, when I see something like that I go elsewhere (coward) because I know they will not listen.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by Akoellh View Post
    And even if there is such a "feature" it is of no real use, let me show you a recent experiment of mine.

As you might know, there is the "feature" of rating a thread, so I thought to myself "let's see how easy it is to make Pavlov's dog bark".

So I searched for a really terrible thread (not too hard here, I might add :-)) and found this piece of junk here:

there is no wireless option in my NetworkManager - openSUSE Forums

Why does it qualify for being "terrible"?

Well, not only are the questions/descriptions by the OP of no real value, but also the help offered is nothing but wild stabbing into the darkness.

After nearly two pages, a lot of useless updates/installations have been done and without (as expected) any success, because there were _no_ questions on the problem itself (which wireless card? kernel module loaded, output of low-level commands like iwconfig/ifconfig/etc.) or even a _hint_ to the stickies in the wireless section.

So I used the "great feature" of rating this thread as "Terrible" (= one star) and not even 5 minutes later, the thread was rated "average" (= three stars) with two votes, now I wonder who rated this thread "Excellent" (= five stars and which drugs she/he might use) to get that average.

As I said, child's play and only interesting for testing if Pavlov was right (he was, obviously).
    It is such a shame, that this forum is going to a bargain fora where users are dragging each other and bullying each other. If you have nothing to do, then of course it will happened 'dragging,bullying,offense' etc etc.
    What type of forum is this now, people using words which they should not.. 'POJ ['Piece Of Junk' ;-) ],bunch of c.r.a.p, *******t,bul****si**t' etc etc..
    Let me recall this thread, which shows someone is hired for rating like that..
    WPA not working/connecting in 11.2 M7 - openSUSE Forums
    Which is also rated as terrible and by who and why. It doesn't bother me how you rate a whole thread. Because the solution maybe in just one post out there. So think before you perform any action. Maybe that is useless for you but maybe useful for the OP/others. Not all fingers are the same, so what i think i write it there, what you think will write. Not all the time it works but don't forget not all the time the 1st ans also works. OR MAYBE YOU SHOULD READ THE WHOLE THREAD BEFORE COMMENTING ON IT.
    No body will raise his/her post count without any reason, and for what will be. Is he/she going to conquer the world by zillion of posts, OR awarded for that. At the end your knowledge/behavior counts rather than rep.
    If i behave like you now here, there will be no difference between you and me, which i don't want.

Quote Originally Posted by palladium View Post
    yes BUT, there is always a chance to increase one's post count and
    reputation if you stab in the dark long enough--and offer this info:

"If my post helped, You can Rep above"

you know it may have been that POJ ['Piece Of Junk' ;-) ] thread which
    sent me on the search for how to unRep a poster..

--
    palladium
    You forgot to read the last word in it which was Tqs.
    BTW now what it is, also you can quote it now, no problem.

Most of the people came with suggestions, features and some came with nothing except pointing one finger to the person in front of him/her and directing four to his/her self.

THINK BEFORE YOU COMMENT ON OTHERS.

This is right of all here, to comment and say any thing but in limits. Don't push people beyond that.

I saw few people here, how they discouraging others/noobs. The way they reply is like "Stupid you don't know that, how come you don't know". And some even don't bother to reply except rating threads.

Cool and calm...
    Linux[openSUSE, KDE], PHP, MySQL, Wordpress, Tech News, etc :
    http://anl4u.com

Quote Originally Posted by mmarif4u View Post
    Let me recall this thread, which shows someone is hired for rating like that..
    Tin foil hats anyone?

WPA not working/connecting in 11.2 M7 - openSUSE Forums
    Which is also rated as terrible and by who and why.
    Yup, I rated this thread as terrible (and the why is explained in the first answer), so where's my cheque?

OR MAYBE YOU SHOULD READ THE WHOLE THREAD BEFORE COMMENTING ON IT.
    I did, as you can easily see by the comments on why this thread is terrible.

BTW:
    Even bold and capital text is read the same way as normal one, accusing me of "judging without reading" is a very bad habit, so you don't need to emphasize on that.

But maybe you should have read a little more thoroughly, the OP stated in his first post

there is no wireless option in my NetworkManager,
    and in his second one

when I choose New connection option from NetworkManager I get ( eth0 ) only
    which made it pretty likely there might not even be a wireless interface at all, something to be checked BEFORE giving any further advise.

Now WHO read this whole thread and who did NOT?

Yup, I rated this thread as terrible (and the why is explained in the first answer), so where's my cheque?
    OTW...

Even bold and capital text is read the same way as normal one
    That's why you quote it in BOLD.

and in his third one.

I browsed the internet using wireless yesterday on my laptop

and in his third one.
    I browsed the internet using wireless yesterday on my laptop
    Well, it is "common procedure" that things, which "suddenly don't work anymore today" worked the day before, so what's your point?

But may I ask, then why did you suggest updating KDE when it obviously worked the day before without the updated version?

Interesting logic IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Akoellh View Post
    Well, it is "common procedure" that things, which "suddenly don't work anymore today" worked the day before, so what's your point?

But may I ask, then why did you suggest updating KDE when it obviously worked the day before without the updated version?

Interesting logic IMHO.
    IMVHO Because KDE4.1 was buggy, NetworkManager has many problems in it, it will work today and will not the next day after a few updates. Or maybe you did not experience all this. I did, i went every of KDE4 version and noticed what is working what is not(Things i use) and in which version.

BTW does that 'terrible'(tm) work for the OP.

BTW does that 'terrible'(tm) work for the OP.
    Let me quote:

Quote Originally Posted by my self
    Why does it qualify for being "terrible"?

Well, not only are the questions/descriptions by the OP of no real value, but also the help offered is nothing but wild stabbing into the darkness.
    So much for

OR MAYBE YOU SHOULD READ THE WHOLE THREAD BEFORE COMMENTING ON IT.
    (And you did even quote that in the same post you made the above accusation.)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast