Porting KDE Settings to new PC?

Hi

I’ve got two laptops (a Dell and an Acer), one for work, the other for home. Both run openSUSE 11.1 64-bit and use KDE 4.4.

Is it possible to copy the settings on one machine to the other? The desktops are pretty similar, but not quite the same - and I can’t remember what I did to the one I prefer to get it that way.

Obviously, the underlying hardware is different, but I am hoping that the OS takes care of that.

Is this feasible or, more to the point, advisable?

You can copy the /home/username/.kde4 directory contents.

I think it is worth trying to copy the* .kde4* directory (from your home directory) with all that is inside it. Of course do this while the user in question is not loged in into the GUI.

When it becomes a mess, delete it it again from the other system, then KDE will create a fresh default one on next login, nothing dramatic.

This of course for KDE 4 only. Firefox is in a different place (.mozilla).

In any case there could be slight problems. E.g. when FF has noted in its files that you have an Add-on and the add-on is not installed in the other system, there will be some problem.

aescott wrote:
> Obviously, the underlying hardware is different, but I am hoping that
> the OS takes care of that.

and, if the “settings” of one of them tells it to load the driver for
the Dell manufactured screen…and, you transfer that to the one with
the Acer manufactured screen…then, what would you expect the
outcome to be?

> Is this feasible or, more to the point, advisable?

i would not advise it if both machines were exactly the same brand and
model number, but manufactured in two different months…because there
is no sure way to know if the machines are in fact identical…i mean,
the plastic case may LOOK identical by there could be lots of changes
inside…

palladium

These settings are not configured via KDE (and this is what this thread is about).

I am using my complete /home since SuSE 10.0 and could import its settings on three different machines - the major problem were applications which had a shortcut but were not installed yet (and the like). So before doing so, I recommend giving a thought or two on these kind of custom settings. Beside that, exporting ~/.kde or ~/.kde4 is pretty easy and works.

However, note that exporting /home or KDE-settings to another distro does usually not work well.

Well, done it now and it seems OK. Still need to hook up the external monitor, but that should be easy enough. Only problem was with icons to programmes that weren’t installed on the home machine.

Thanks for the help and advice.:slight_smile: