Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OpenSUSE/KDE Performance Issues.

Default OpenSUSE/KDE Performance Issues.

Hello Everyone. I recently migrated from the plaque we all know as Windows Vista to OpenSUSE, and it's great how much faster my computer is, however. However, tasks that involve the GUI that run great on Vista, for some reason are very choppy and slow on Suse.

For example, scrolling in internet browsers (I use Opera), minimizing windows with the fade option turned on, and moving the mouse (sometimes) are all choppy. Vista handled these effects well, but SUSE is apparently having trouble with my video card or something. When I use Xrender in the desktop settings thing, the choppiness is gone, but everything happens a lot slower. I normally use the default: OpenGL.

Am I doing something wrong? I'm on KDE, a Sony Vaio VGN-NR310E with an Intel 1.73ghz Dual-core CPU and 2gb of RAM. Am I not able to run SUSE GUI efficiently under these specs?

Default Re: OpenSUSE/KDE Performance Issues.

Welcome to openSUSE.

Are you using Kwin or Compiz?
    If you are using normal effects, it will not slow down the system that much under your spec. But if enable extra effects it will, a little bit.
    Which graphic card you are using. May be you need to update the driver.

Hint: By disabling all these effects, there will be no slowness after that.
    Linux[openSUSE, KDE], PHP, MySQL, Wordpress, Tech News, etc :
    http://anl4u.com

Blog Entries

You should use OpenGL
    But you didn't tell us the most important info, namely your graphics device
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Thank you =).

Uh, I'm not sure. I remember in the effects panel, there was an option for FPS and I think that said kwin in it. I haven't installed anything called compiz since the default install, does that mean I have kwin?

The card is an integrated Intel, Intel X3100 I think. I just think it's odd that a system like Vista, which was a memory hog and brought the computer to it's knees in terms of processing ability, was always able to keep the Aero on full blast with no lost frames at the worst of times.

Where would I go about getting a better driver?

@caf: That is what I'm using right now. The card is an Intel X3100 integrated.

EDIT: I just tried turning off all the effects. The scrolling is still very choppy in Konqueror/Firefox/Opera with smooth scrolling enabled. Odd.

This would help us to help you further:
    Post the result of this command,
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    Intel cards doesn't have any problems, but there were some updates last few days. Let's see your repos 1st and then move to next step.

Blog Entries

If you are using KDE, you do not need Compiz
    But as you now have it, here is a guide to set it up correctly:
    Installing and Configuring Compiz - openSUSE Forums

Read things carefully
    See if it helps
    -----------------------
    FYI.
    Windows and Linux comparisons on hardware/driver support are kind of pointless, because 99% of hardware manufacturers only supply drivers for windows.
    Leap 15.1_KDE

Here you go

"Artur@linux-xa4e:~> zypper lr -d
    # | Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type | URI | Service
    --+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+---------+---------+----------+--------+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+--------
    1 | Index of /repositories/home:/pontostroy/openSUSE_11.2 | Index of /repositories/home:/pontostroy/openSUSE_11.2 | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/home:/pontostroy/openSUSE_11.2 |
    2 | openSUSE 11.2-0 | openSUSE 11.2-0 | Yes | No | 99 | yast2 | cd:/// |
    3 | repo-debug | openSUSE-11.2-Debug | No | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /debug/distribution/11.2/repo/oss |
    4 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.2-Non-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.2/repo/non-oss |
    5 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.2-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.2/repo/oss |
    6 | repo-source | openSUSE-11.2-Source | No | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /source/distribution/11.2/repo/oss |
    7 | repo-update | openSUSE-11.2-Update | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.2 |
    Artur@linux-xa4e:~>
    "

@caf: If I don't need it, how did I get it? Is it better?

Blog Entries

Are you sure you are using Compiz
    If you installed KDE, it does not install Compiz, you would have to do it after, and allow it to break the kde-pure package.

Code:
    rpm --query --all '*compiz*'
    Leap 15.1_KDE

Quote Originally Posted by Bladesshredder View Post
    Here you go

"Artur@linux-xa4e:~> zypper lr -d
    # | Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type | URI | Service
    --+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+---------+---------+----------+--------+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+--------
    1 | Index of /repositories/home:/pontostroy/openSUSE_11.2 | Index of /repositories/home:/pontostroy/openSUSE_11.2 | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/home:/pontostroy/openSUSE_11.2 |
    2 | openSUSE 11.2-0 | openSUSE 11.2-0 | Yes | No | 99 | yast2 | cd:/// |
    3 | repo-debug | openSUSE-11.2-Debug | No | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /debug/distribution/11.2/repo/oss |
    4 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.2-Non-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.2/repo/non-oss |
    5 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.2-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.2/repo/oss |
    6 | repo-source | openSUSE-11.2-Source | No | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /source/distribution/11.2/repo/oss |
    7 | repo-update | openSUSE-11.2-Update | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.2 |
    Artur@linux-xa4e:~>
    "

@caf: If I don't need it, how did I get it? Is it better?
    For me, you don't need compiz. Kwin is doing better with normal system effects. Kwin is by default effects for KDE.

Now, become su - and run this:
    Code:
    zypper dup

@caf: Wait wait, I'm pretty sure I don't have Compiz. I don't think I need it also.

@mm: "linux-xa4e:/home/Artur # zypper dup
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    Computing distribution upgrade...

The following NEW package is going to be installed:
    susehelp_en

The following package is going to be downgraded:
    opera

The following package is going to change architecture:
    opera i386 -> i586

The following package is going to change vendor:
    opera Opera Software ASA -> openSUSE

1 package to downgrade, 1 new, 1 to change vendor, 1 to change arch.
    Overall download size: 10.8 MiB. After the operation, 264.0 KiB will be freed.
    Continue? [y/n/?] (y): y
    Retrieving package susehelp_en-2009.10.06-2.1.noarch (1/2), 9.0 KiB (11.0 KiB unpacked)
    Retrieving: susehelp_en-2009.10.06-2.1.noarch.rpm [done]
    Installing: susehelp_en-2009.10.06-2.1 [done]
    Retrieving package opera-10.10-0.1.1.i586 (2/2), 10.8 MiB (26.9 MiB unpacked)
    Retrieving: opera-10.10-0.1.1.i586.rpm [done (35.1 KiB/s)]
    Installing: opera-10.10-0.1.1 [done]
    There are some running programs that use files deleted by recent upgrade. You may wish to restart some of them. Run 'zypper ps' to list these programs.
    "

I surmise that it updated Opera, I restarted Opera and it's the same.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast