Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: blank screen after installing nvidia drivers

Default blank screen after installing nvidia drivers

I installed OpenSuse Gnome version 64 bit on a HP laptop DV7 Intel Dual Core with nVidia 9600 GM card

All went well, until after I had installed the nVidia drivers from this page: NVIDIA drivers - openSUSE

I selected the Geforce 1-click install and Yast went on to installl all the packages (a lot of 32-bit),took about half an hour.

I logged out/in, and could work as normal, until I rebooted. Maybe I waited not long enough (5 minutes), but the screen was blank, then I gave up.

Anyone has an explanation. I can always re-install everything, but then what went wrong with the nVidia package ? Did I select the correct one for my system ?

Blog Entries

Default Re: blank screen after installing nvidia drivers

Quote Originally Posted by jolato View Post
    I installed OpenSuse Gnome version 64 bit on a HP laptop DV7 Intel Dual Core with nVidia 9600 GM card

All went well, until after I had installed the nVidia drivers from this page: NVIDIA drivers - openSUSE

I selected the Geforce 1-click install and Yast went on to installl all the packages (a lot of 32-bit),took about half an hour.

I logged out/in, and could work as normal, until I rebooted. Maybe I waited not long enough (5 minutes), but the screen was blank, then I gave up.

Anyone has an explanation. I can always re-install everything, but then what went wrong with the nVidia package ? Did I select the correct one for my system ?
    I don't know if you installed the correct one. EXACTLY which one did you install ? Apologies, but my eye sight is fading with age, and the distance between your PC and my office is too much for my old eyes ...

Serious though, what can you tell us about your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file ? Did you create one ? Do you have an old one from before using the proprietary driver ? If you did not create a new one, why not delete the old and create a new one by booting direct to run level 3 (type "3" (no quotes) in grub splash menu and do a regular boot) login as a regular user with regular user password, and type "su" (no quotes and enter root password) to switch users to administrator/root. And then delete any exisitng /etc/X11/xorg.conf and run:
    Code:
    nvidia-xconfig
    and then restart with
    Code:
    shutdown -r now
    ... there is some basic practical graphic driver theory here you might find helpful: openSUSE Graphic Card Practical Theory Guide for Users - openSUSE Forums

thanks I don't have an old config file anymore, but I don't mind re-installing if needed; however, the nvidia drivers install took much too long in my opinion; here is how to find the exact link:

Go to this page: NVIDIA - openSUSE

Select "Nvidia drivers" link

Then it's the first install button under Opensuse header; it was directly opened by Yast, and then I jusst had to click Install
    My card is 9600 GM

Blog Entries

thanks I don't have an old config file anymore, but I don't mind re-installing if needed; however, the nvidia drivers install took much too long in my opinion; here is how to find the exact link:

Go to this page: NVIDIA - openSUSE

Select "Nvidia drivers" link
    That does not help. There will be an rpm name or a .run file name. You need to tell us what that name is because I can not guess which one you used.

I only have windows running now but when I have my system re-installed, I'll check again

Blog Entries

I only have windows running now but when I have my system re-installed, I'll check again
    Enjoy your MS-Windows.

Please if you try Linux again, try to be more specific when asking for help. I want to help, but you truly need to be more accurate.

Next time after installation of opensuse do the following:

Download the exact video driver for linux from nvidia driver download site (Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers)
    This will be of .bin or .run extension.
    After download completes, do the following:
    Ctrl + Alt + F1
    You will be in command line interface (CLI)
    login with your user name and password.
    type the followings:

> su
    (type your password)

> cd <the path where you downloaded the driver file>
    ( for e.g. : cd /home/downloads/)

> sh <the-name-of-the-driver-file> -q
    for e.g.: sh NVIDIA-x86-180.22-pkg1.run -q

> init 3
    (bring you to the tty1)

>sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia
    (this is to configure nvidia; here 0 is a digit, not a letter!)

> init 5
    (brings you to the graphical user interface , i.e. GUI)

That is all for installing NVIDIA drivers. This method is called "the hard way"... but actually it is not too hard!!! Try it.
    Saptarshi Das

I went to failsafe, did a startx and it worked. I then rebooted Suse normally, and could log in again using X.

It's a yast meta package called nvidia.ymp; yast opens the package and then a message appears: if you have one of the legacy nvidia cards, you should NOT install this package.

Whatever that means Of course I ignored this message and went on with the install. Then there is the following info:

Repositories to be added
    ftp://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/11.2/(Nvidia Repository)
    http://download.opensuse.org/update/11.2/(Main Update Repository)

Software to be installed: x11-video-nvidiaG02

If I have to be more specific, plrease tell me how; I would like to know what has been installed, if it was for 64bit (does it matter ?), and what nvidia driver I have now; and, if needed, how to de-install

If you have 64 bit Linux installed you must install the 64 bit driver. The fact that you installed a bunch of 32 bit stuff indicates you made the wrong selection. Possible even a 32 bit kernel. I'm not at all sure how to fix this other then a reinstall and selection of the correct driver (64bit)

the metadata .ymp package is for one click installation. This includes the repos required for the package and doing so it can install the package.

But I recommended you to install in "the hard way"!

Just download the appropriate nvidia driver from the site I referred you in the previous post and install as I told. Download 64-bit driver if you are using openSuSE 11.2_X86_64 distro otherwise download 32-bit driver if using openSuSE 11.2_i586 distro.

UNINSTALLING NVIDIA :
    If I'm right, you are using the repository ways installing through .ymp metapackage. Then from Yast software management uninstall the installed packages relating "nvidia".
    Then do not restart or shutdown your machine.
    Do the following:
    Ctrl +Alt + F1
    login as i told you earlier post.
    >su
    To use sax2 to create default xorg.conf file:
    > sax2 -a

save the configuration. (you will be provided with that option automatically)

ctrl +Alt + F7

then restart and do the installation procedure i told you in the earlier post.

INFORMATIONS FOR DRIVER:
    To know if the right driver is installed, do:

> glxinfo |grep vendor

To know if your graphics is "direct rendering", do:
    > glxinfo |grep direct

To know your graphics performance, do:
    > glxgears
    you should expect 1200-2500 FPS if all goes well.
    Saptarshi Das

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast