Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: openSUSE 11.2 freezes

Question openSUSE 11.2 freezes

Hey all,

I just installed openSUSE 11.2 KDE via LiveCD on my desktop computer and have been loving it.

The problem is that it will randomly freeze and requires a restart. I've tried booting up in safe-mode, but it still does it. Also, when it does, the screen flickers and flashes in and out before it freezes.

I would be grateful to anyone that could help.

And before anyone asks, yes, I have my NVIDIA drivers.
    Arch Linux | 100 GB HDD | 2GB RAM | 2Ghz CPU

Lightbulb Re: openSUSE 11.2 freezes

Hiim:
    Can you post the output of command "dmesg"

Default Re: openSUSE 11.2 freezes

Quote Originally Posted by Licurgo View Post
    Hiim:
    Can you post the output of command "dmesg"
    For whatever reason, KDE froze every time I tried to login, and restricted me to the console login. Having installed openSUSE very recently on my desktop, I didn't have anything moved onto the computer, and only a few packages installed, so I'm seeing if a fresh install won't help. Thanks for the quick reply, and if I have any more problems regarding KDE, I will post back here.

Cool Re: openSUSE 11.2 freezes

Hey again,

well, it's happened again, and it's freezing as soon as I log in, and if it doesn't, when I open a menu or application, the screen glitches and freezes. I think it might have to do with my recent installation of Java, but who knows?

Due to being unable to login, I can't post the output of dmesg. I could login to console and try if that would help, however?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hiim View Post
    Hey again,

well, it's happened again, and it's freezing as soon as I log in, and if it doesn't, when I open a menu or application, the screen glitches and freezes. I think it might have to do with my recent installation of Java, but who knows?

Due to being unable to login, I can't post the output of dmesg. I could login to console and try if that would help, however?
    Did you try booting to fail safe?

Did you try booting to run level 3, and installing a different graphic driver? openSUSE Graphic Card Practical Theory Guide for Users - openSUSE Forums

You may also wish to consider running a memory test.

Do you have another Operating System running on this PC, and if so, is it stable?

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Did you try booting to fail safe?

Did you try booting to run level 3, and installing a different graphic driver? openSUSE Graphic Card Practical Theory Guide for Users - openSUSE Forums

You may also wish to consider running a memory test.

Do you have another Operating System running on this PC, and if so, is it stable?
    I have booted it to fail safe and into run level 3. I do not have another OS on this computer (windows, ugh), and I have run a memory test, but it just restarted my computer after going to a black screen.

I've downloaded and installed nouveu, but it doesn't tell me anywhere in your guide how to switch to this driver.

nouveu is still very new and I don't think that it will work with the stock 11.2 kernel

What video card do you have? If older then you might need to use an older driver.

Also other things can cause freezes, including bad sectors on the disk. When it freezes do you see constant disk activity? Also if you run out of space for temp files on the root partition.

Does the same happens when you boot from the liveCD?

Does the memory test run for a while or it reboots your computer as soon as you start it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hiim View Post
    and I have run a memory test, but it just restarted my computer after going to a black screen.
    Having a memory test fail is not good, but if I read this correctly, it did not boot far enough to run even the start of the memory test? Or did the memory test start and then the problem of a reboot to a black screen? If the later, then you have hardware problems.

Quote Originally Posted by brunomcl View Post
    Does the same happens when you boot from the liveCD?

Does the memory test run for a while or it reboots your computer as soon as you start it?

When I boot from the liveCD, it boots up fine. I can browse the web, run a terminal, etc. As for the memory test, it reboots the computer as soon as I use it.

Having a memory test fail is not good, but if I read this correctly, it did not boot far enough to run even the start of the memory test? Or did the memory test start and then the problem of a reboot to a black screen? If the later, then you have hardware problems.
    How could I have hardware problems? My computer is almost completely new (except for the hard drive, which is from my old computer), and hardly got any use as it had Windows on it.

Could this have something to do with the fact that it wouldn't boot from the DVD drive?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast