Thread: OpenOffice date format under KDE

Default OpenOffice date format under KDE

As I've read OpenOffice takes its date format from system settings. I have only KDE installed, so could I expect OOo to use regional settings of KDE?

"Short date format" in KDE is: DD.MM.YYYY, but OOo uses (I guess) this: dD.mM.YYYY. Where is it taken from?

Default Re: OpenOffice date format under KDE

Quote Originally Posted by atroxix View Post
    As I've read OpenOffice takes its date format from system settings. I have only KDE installed, so could I expect OOo to use regional settings of KDE?

"Short date format" in KDE is: DD.MM.YYYY, but OOo uses (I guess) this: dD.mM.YYYY. Where is it taken from?
    I do not think OOo is that much integrated with KDE (or with Gnome or any other of the DEs available) that it takes the prefered date/time formatting from the KDE configuration. It would be a bit tricky because it is KDE internal and KDE has the right to do it different tomorrow.

System setting imho means not KDE, but Linux. But I do not know of any mechanism there. I can also not find anything like that to be set lin the environment by /etc/profile.

When you use the OOo manual (in the Help menu) and search for Date there are several chapters about it.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Start OpenOffice, go to Extra - Options - Language settings. Pick Estonian for your local language and you should be OK.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

I just hoped that maybe SuSE has integrated OOo into KDE in these aspects too.

But OK, as I couldn't find how to automatically format dates correctly, I just turned the auto-formatting off: Tools >> Options >> OpenOffice.org Writer >> Table >> Number recognition

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Start OpenOffice, go to Extra - Options - Language settings. Pick Estonian for your local language and you should be OK.
    I have Estonian selected, but the format of dates is still picked from I-don't-know-where and I can't find a place to change that.

For me at least that wouldn't be enough. When my language is Netherlands, my date written in numbers will be DD-MM-YYYY or something like that. That is not acceptable for me, I use the ISO standard (which is btw also the NEN but mostly ignored) YYYY-MM-DD.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    For me at least that wouldn't be enough. When my language is Netherlands, my date written in numbers will be DD-MM-YYYY or something like that. That is not acceptable for me, I use the ISO standard (which is btw also the NEN but mostly ignored) YYYY-MM-DD.
    I've taught myself to use date fields. If I open docs in a 'dutch' OO.o they appear as dd-mm-yyyy, if I open them in a 'us' OO.o they appear as yyyy-mm-dd.
    I do agree, that date should always be ISO, but I also think we should not type dates: tonight I will be seeing a play in a small theatre, the posters say friday, 18th of march !! Their flyer says the same, some other show starts at 201:15 PM.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

tonight I will be seeing a play in a small theatre, the posters say friday, 18th of march !! Their flyer says the same, some other show starts at 201:15 PM.
    Is that typical for Groningen
    Henk van Velden

Go to Insert>Fields>Other and you will find a whole series of options for formatting fields, including dates. Select the date option and then the format.

If you create and save a template with that option in it, it will always be available in a new document created from the template.