BBCi Desktop

I have installed the BBCi Desktop for suse 10.3 (this is all which is available from the BBC site) on my 11.2 64-bit system and cannot get it to run.

Have any of you been successful in installing it on 11.2 64bit? I know it runs on previous versions I had it working on a 32bit install without any trouble.

I installed Adobe Air with the assistance from this HOWTO. This dealt with the ERROR#004.

The BBC iPlayer desktop will not run. All I get the bouncy icon which dissapears after a while. Your assistance is welcome.

allianux wrote:
> I have installed the BBCi Desktop for suse 10.3 (this is all which is
> available from the BBC site) on my 11.2 64-bit system and cannot get it
> to run.

do they offer a source tarball that you can compile?

unless the program you installed is for 64 bit, you will need all of
the 32 bit libs it calls…

did the program come as an rpm? did you install it with YaST, or??

palladium

I’m not sure if you are able to view this linkoutside the UK which shows all the packages provided by the BBC. They are Ubuntu DEP’s and a Suse 10.3 RPM.

I have checked the install on a 64bit Suse 11.1 and it worked ok.

The problem is with Suse 11.2 or is it only on my install?

allianux wrote:
> The problem is with Suse 11.2 or is it only on my install?

i don’t know…but, i might once you tell how you installed the rpm…

and tell did it install error free, or did you click “ignore” or
“proceed” (or something like those) when/if it ran across some
unavailable dependencies?

the 32 bit installation you previously had that ít worked with, is
this the same machine? did you have any errors in moving from 32
(which OS) to 11.2-64?

anything else not working? or just this one BBC program?

palladium

I have never tried it yet. And from what I read, it’s not a pretty picture for us open-source folk. Even winders guys are not too happy. I’m still using get_iplayer, although it’s now defunct since the beeb started encrypting flash. But it still works for now.
Fortunately my on-demand plays fine as my broadband is fast where I live, but that sure ain’t true for many folk in the UK. Broadband speeds are rubbish in many places and often sold in a very deceitful way.

Hi, No errors when installing the RPM. I wish there were as that would have pointed me in a direction.

I’d be interested to hear if anyone else is able to get it running on Suse 11.2 x64.

Yes, its a pitty to see projects like get_iplayer forced to stop and it is only compounded by the BBC giving very little to no alternative to us using opensource software. By the way I have written to the BBC tech support requesting support for Opensuse 11.2 and the up and comming 11.3

allianux wrote:
> Hi, No errors when installing the RPM. I wish there were as that would
> have pointed me in a direction.

hello, do you read english? i wonder because i’ve asked twice how you
installed it…

and, i wonder if you installed the 32 bit needs it might have…and
how you determined those needs…

palladium

I took time to install it in my 11.3 sandbox - but it’s 32bit
I had to install Air manually, downloading from Adobe.

Then run iplayer installer

http://thumbnails28.imagebam.com/7213/44f5b372125146.gif](http://www.imagebam.com/image/44f5b372125146)

Just in case you doubted me

Thank you for that… there’s hope - I’ll have to start tinkering

Thank you for all that, I don’t think I’ll ever really know what caused my troubles which prevented the BBC iPlayer Desktop from working. The good news is that it now works well on my Opensuse 11.2 x64 install.

It was only after removing Adobe Air and iPlayer Desktop, then reinstalling and creating a new user that it now works.

Excellent, well done;)