Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Accessing LINUX via VNC web client

  1. #1

    Default Accessing LINUX via VNC web client

    I want to access the Linux desktop from a Windows machine. I am able to get a terminal window with the TightVNC Windows client, but I only get a terminal window. Does anyone know how to get the entire desktop?

    Also, from other discussions, it seems that I am supposed to be able to get a web session going, but I'm not sure how to do that. Does anyone know how to get a web session going through VNC? Do I need to run something other that vncserver?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    26,595
    Blog Entries
    38

    Default Re: Accessing LINUX via VNC web client

    Quote Originally Posted by richardthompson100 View Post
    I want to access the Linux desktop from a Windows machine. I am able to get a terminal window with the TightVNC Windows client, but I only get a terminal window. Does anyone know how to get the entire desktop?
    When using vlc, I typically access a Linux PC from a Linux PC. I have the application x11vnc, tightvnc, and xorg-x11-Xvnc installed on my openSUSE Linux PC.

    If I were to try this from a Windoze PC (which I would not do, but if I were to), I would want to ensure the appropriate vnc server (5900, 5901 ... ) ports were open in my openSUSE firewall, and that I had x11vnc running.

    However, for accessing a Linux PC from an MS-Windows PC, I believe a far better way to do this is to use the program "nx" by nomachine: NoMachine NX - Desktop Virtualization and Remote Access Management Software The software is legally free as in "free beer" (but NOT free as in the free software foundation definition of free).

    Quote Originally Posted by richardthompson100 View Post
    Also, from other discussions, it seems that I am supposed to be able to get a web session going, but I'm not sure how to do that. Does anyone know how to get a web session going through VNC? Do I need to run something other that vncserver?
    Whats a web session ?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,654

    Default Re: Accessing LINUX via VNC web client

    oldcpu wrote:

    >
    > However, for accessing a Linux PC from an MS-Windows PC, I believe a
    > far better way to do this is to use the program "nx" by nomachine:
    > 'NoMachine NX - Desktop Virtualization and Remote Access Management
    > Software' (http://www.nomachine.com/) The software is legally free as
    > in "free beer" (but NOT free as in the free software foundation
    > definition of free).
    >

    There is also FreeNX (as substitute for the proprietary nomachine server). I
    am using it for several years now on my PC to give my wife access to it. It
    works flawless with the proprietary NX client for windows (my wife used
    windows till 2009, now she uses linux mint and uses the nx client on the
    linux machine).

    I also prefer NX over a direct ssh X forwording simply because it is done in
    a much more performant way (less network traffic -> simply faster).




  4. #4

    Default Re: Accessing LINUX via VNC web client

    Are you getting the logon prompt? If so, what session type did you select?

    I've never used the web browser, but there's info on it in the TightVNC manual, and opensuse.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •